“Sleep in your car BEFORE staying here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carlin Inn

Carlin Inn
You added Carlin Inn to your Saves list
Carlin Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1018 Fir Street, Carlin, NV 89822 (Formerly Comfort Inn Central)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carlin
Foster City, California
“Sleep in your car BEFORE staying here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I wish I had logged into Trip Advisor BEFORE staying here.

It was Saturday evening, Sept 1, 2013, Labor Day weekend and we needed a hotel for the night after having driven all day from Idaho. We checked all the Best Westerns (a good, safe choice) but all were full. Then we saw the Carlin Inn. Our Garmin GPS said it was a Comfort Inn, usually another safe choice. It isn't anymore (for good reason). So we stopped by and made the mistake of the vacation. We checked in.

First clue was the scratched graffiti that filled the elevator door. Then the signs up on every door warning guests not to smoke weed or the hotel would call the cops. Who is staying here anyway?

The room was standard, cheap and smelly. The WiFi was pathetic and kept dropping out. The light by the bed didn't work (another bad sign). I was so tired I ignored the signs and crashed.

The check out time was 11:00 AM. Usually, if you sleep in, you get a call around 11:00 or so with a mild suggestion to please check out. Here, the banging on the door started at 9:30 AM with a crazy woman muttering mild threats through the door. We fled as fast as we could pack.

I later learned that the only 2 industries in Carlin, NV (besides 2 gas stations) are a state prison and a mine, which explains the "clientele" of the hotel.

If I had known how bad this hotel was I would have gladly slept in my car. Stay away from Carlin! Stay away from the Carlin Inn! You have been warned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I read all the bad reviews.. And I was not going to get a room there .. But after finding out that new owners had bought the motel.. I decided to try it.. It was clean and a very nice stay.. I would recommend this hotel.. I am glad I didnt go bye all the bad reviews.. I just wanted everyone to know it is now a good place..

• Stayed April 2013
Klamath Falls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My mom and dad stayed here. What an absolute horror! She nearly threw up reading the reviews that just echoed her experience. A prostitute arguing with the motel clear on arrival, potholes in the parking lot so big her car nearly got buried in it. The room was not clean, little black pubic hairs on the sheets, garbage not emptied, shower looked disgusting, dirty glass on the bathroom sink, no new toiletpaper rolls, towels looked filthy, none of the machines worked for ice, food/snacks, everything broken and looked like they'd been in a state of disrepair for a long time. There was a truck stop across the street which explains the prostitute and all of the reviews claiming witnessing the same activity. This place should be shut down. Complaints to the front desk clerk went virtually ignored asking for new sheets and towels, the replacements were finally brought after 3 phonecalls and looked just as bad as the bad ones. How do places like this stay in business? Oh I forgot, supported by the truckers and prostitutes! Grossssss!

Room Tip: Add a tip: *** Stay Elsewhere *** would have been all caps but it wont allow that!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Carlin hotels

carlin, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and children and i have been staying here for 4 months. I love all of the employees that work here they are so great they dont mind if my kids are running around the lobby or out front of the hotel they all seem to keep an out for them if they get away from me. the housekeepers make sure that my room stays clean and belive me that is not an easy job with a 2 and 3 year old running around. This place is not top of the line. but if you want a friendly and homie place to stay i recommend staying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Mckinleyville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I were very tired and in need of a place to stay because everything was closed in Elko. Everything looked okay from the outside beside the truck parked funky in the breeze way. When inside, I noticed trash overflowing and the desk clerk behind many piles of dust. I was so desperate to sleep, so my husband and I went to our room. Everything appeared clean in the room but the elevator and the lobby needed deep cleaning. We decided to go eat at the Pizza Factory, which was really good and the highlight of our trip but on our way down in the elevator a shady character entered and proclaimed that he had been drinking all day. I was afraid of getting robbed but he sauntered away, only to find on our return, the police checking in on the place. I slept in the bed under what I presumed clean sheets and now have contracted scabies. Don't stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Quincy, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

checked in after a very long day of traveling to a room that had hair and dirt on the sheets. So they switched me to another room hoping it would be better. WRONG. The floor had not been vacuumed and the trash had not been emptied nor had the sink been cleaned off. I was exhausted and didn't want to try to find another hotel at a very late hour so I brought in my own blanket and pillow to sleep on top off the bed. The front desk said they could not refund my room until Monday when the GM came in. Now I wait two weeks later with no refund. I highly recommend NOT staying here!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a sad little hotel. It doesn't seem that the owner cares about its condition. A previous reviewer stated that the rooms were clean. My room does appear to have been remodeled since the building was built but: the previous user's used grounds were still there, the toilet needed help flushing, the shower walls were not clean, other areas had not been cleaned in some time, the bedding may have been washed but had dirt stains, the tv stand hadn't been dusted in a long time, and the bedding doesn't fit, or stay on, the bed.

The hotel's elevator seemed right at home in a public housing project. The front desk doesn't have enough keys for the guests. Dirty common areas. I think the owner is milking this place for as long as possible and then will likely sell it to someone who will tear it down and build something better. Lots of guests. Primarily workers in the mining business so the hotel makes a ton of money for the owner who puts back into it nothing.

Go to Elko or Battle Mountain if you need a place to stay in the area. Both places are less than an hour's drive away.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Carlin Inn? Share your experiences!