“Little food for the money...” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: American
Roy, Utah
“Little food for the money...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were traveling through Nebraska with my children and when I saw "The Kitchen", I thought good home cookin'. Instead it was small portions of decent food that is over priced. The restaurant is clean and the staff was friendly, however, that being said my opinion went down from there as we all walked away hungry. I ordered my son the mini corn dogs off the kids menu...we were charged over $5 (which is high for a kids menu item) and he received 5 mini corn dogs and a prepackaged "flavored" (which wasn't yummy) applesauce (the meal as a whole would have been worth $.40 retail). That would have been enough to fill a 4 year old, but not a 9 year old. The kid was starving when he was finished. So I shared my toast and then ordered a side of fries for him as well (which funny enough cost $.99 and had more to it than his entire meal). My 11 year old wanted fettuccine alfredo off the adult menu which cost us $7.99, and it was a kid portion, she was also still hungry and ate the additional fries as well. Her food and pita bread were yummy, she just didn't get enough to make a meal. I ordered a skillet (thinking I'm getting something like I would at Denny's)...mine was about 1/3 of a portion I would get there or Village Inn and I paid $8.99. Unless you want an overpriced snack, keep driving...

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dayton, Ohio
“Good Solid "Home Cooking"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is good Midwest "home cooking." You get hearty portions and good honest food for a good price especially for families.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denton
“Eat someplace else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We ate here at night after a long travel day. We were all hungry and tired. Hubby and I had fried chicken, his with green beans and mashed potatoes; mine with broccoli and baked potato. Both kids had chicken strips, mac/cheese, green beans. My baked potato was kinda yellow and waxy inside and tasted like it had been baked several days ago and refrigerated.

Our chicken was fresh but not seasoned at all . . . we have never had such bland and tasteless chicken. The broccoli and green beans were both hard and raw. Kids' chicken strips looked and tasted frozen. None of us liked anything we ordered . . . and we are not picky eaters.

We were gone a week on vacation and we all agreed this was our worst meal.

Sandy (in Denton)

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very satisfying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed dinner so much we returned for breakfast. If you are looking for a place to have a good meal in York, give the Kitchen a try, The food was standard fair but well prepared, prices reasonable and the service excellent. This is a good value

Visited June 2013
Harshaw WI
“"The Kitchen" is the former Country Kitchen”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have stopped several times in the past for a late breakfast at the former Country Kitchen in York and have been very satisfied, This trip the timing offered a late lunch. My choice was a Philly sandwich with Swiss cheese and a side of onion rings. My wife ordered a burger plus a bowl of baked potato soup which she indicated was quite good though she indicated her burger was rather tasteless. Our waiter was very pleasant from the time we were seated and met the test when my sandwich was served without the cheese. He offered to bring me a new sandwich but for the sake of time, I simply asked for him to bring me some cheese which turned out to be two slices of very good tasting Swiss. The sandwich unfortunately was a bit greasy and the meat was too thin and overcooked. The onion rings were obviously freshly made and not frozen with a decent batter, The onions were very sweet and tasty but they need to make some adjustments on temp and frying time as the batter on one ring was not completely fried and they were also quite greasy. They offered a soup & salad bar with a choice of four soups and the salad offerings looked fresh. If we stop again, it will probably be for breakfast or a lighter lunch at the soup and salad bar. The place was clean and offered a pleasant setting for a meal while traveling but the stop was a disappointment considering we always have had a decent breakfast meal.

• Visited June 2013