“Great meal” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Just a few miles outside Truro & about 8 miles from St Mawes, deep in the beautiful countryside, you’ll find the Kings Head in the tiny hamlet of Ruan Lanihorne, this is a Country Pub with a warm welcome, great beers and an imaginative menu. Summer evenings on the Terrace, or in the sunken Beer Garden, winter time finds us with roaring log fires......why not come along and see for yourself..
“Great meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Kings Head recently and had a really great meal...the pub is quite remote & not easy to find even in such a small village but well worth the effort. The staff were welcoming which was nice but the food (we both had a fish main) was excellent. We would definitely visit again & highly recommend this pub for a memorable feast.

Visited September 2013

Dawlish, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was directed to this Restaurant by the Hotel I stayed at as their restaurant was closed! (Not ideal after a long and tiring day at work) Boy was I glad in the end.
Niki was very pleasant and welcoming, the atmosphere was great (more than could be said for the Hotel up the road). The staff were really nice, not pushy.
I had Crab, it was wonderful. You really must try it.
Highly recommended.

Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Mixed emotions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I'm not sure that I should write this review; turkeys don't vote for Christmas and making this place any more special will just make it harder to get a reservation! Oh well, at least it is hard to find and the drive although beautiful will put off some nervous drivers.
I continued to be upset with the menu. How the hell do they expect anybody to choose when everything is so good. I'm obviously the perfect customer since they have listed out all my dream meals. I don't have a sweet tooth and often don't bother with a dessert. The menu did not have a single item that I don't love.
Having got over the agony of decision my partner and I ordered the soup and the cheese, leek and apple cake. The first was full of flavour, perfectly seasoned and hot. The latter was original, interesting and a great introduction to a meal.
Main courses of bangers and mash showed that a humble dish can be made great with great ingredients. The sausages just contained really good meat; yes that's how they should be. the slow cooked belly pork was mind blowing. They teased me by giving me a sharp steak knife and then gave me a piece of pork with the consistency of cream. Even the crackling was perfect and the whole generous portion disappeared with only a sigh indicating disappointment that there was no more.
We asked for, and got, extra time to make the vital pud decision. My partner's ice cream with clotted cream kept her quiet with a slightly naughty look on her face till she had scraped the last morsel from the dish. My chocolate mousse was, bitter, sweet, smooth and above all perfect. One complaint; my spoon was slightly too large to get the very last bit of mousse out of the glass it was served in. I was too shy to use my finger, although I still regret it.
Service was faultless. Everyone knew what they were doing and the landlady makes the whole experience feel like a private meal.
You can find places with bigger, more exciting menus and certainly places that charge more. What you can't find is great cooking with fantastic ingredients at these prices. There are Michelin starred chefs out there who would kill for some of the ingredients used in this pub.
For the purely selfish reason that I want to get a booking next time I visit Cornwall can you please not try to look on a map or buy a new satnav. If you are one of the few who have written a bad review then either you have confused this establishment with another or you don't know a good thing when you taste it.

“Good find.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The King's Head certainly lived up to its reputation.
The slow roasted duck was extremely good although just a litte over priced in my view.
The only slightly discordant note was caused by the staff removing the cutlery intended for starters where none were ordered. This felt a bit weird and other customers also commented on it. One couple thought it may be to stop the cutlery being stolen and that perhaps the management didn't trust the diners!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Tucked away in this quiet hamlet is a superb example of a great British pub.A landlady who knows her business, staff who are friendly and professional, great ales and exceptionally good food.
The fish was as good as any we have eaten,this includes Michelin star premises .
We enjoyed our experience so much that we immediately booked for the Saturday evening.
Great place and tremendous value.