“Good, if you can wait.” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
“Good, if you can wait.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Perhaps our fault for not planning ahead, but the hour wait did seem a bit long. We were in Omaha as a stop over before continuing to a car auction in Pierce. We were looking for an american steak restaurant and narrowed it to Farmer Brown's and one other and decided on one closer to the west end of town.

The drive took us out of the heart of town into a more rural area. Upon pulling into town, we wondered if we were in the right spot as no businesses were apparent. Then spying the neon sign, we observed a full parking lot surrounding a nondescript farm like structure. We found an open parking space and while walking to the restaurant some folks leaving said, "...hope you like waiting...".

We were not really greeted by a women sitting at a counter. Looking tired and not enthusiastic she took our name and said it would take an hour or longer. Okay fine. We could sit in the bar area which was an area of a group of low tables surrounded by low chairs filled with many loud people. Instead we stood in the front entry and waited a full hour.

We were lead to our table and was greeted by our waitress, who from that moment on rapidly with years of experience, took our our drink order, our meal order and tended to us a couple of times during the meal. Our steaks were prepared to our request and hot off the grill, the baked potato was steaming hot. The meal was a standard fair, well prepared and tasty and served good and hot and in a timely fashion.

The atmosphere is an old, country supper club and been slightly updated from the days smoking was allowed in restaurants evidenced by the yellowish ceiling grid with the newer ceiling tile. Wood beams on the ceiling and woodwork about the room add a casual accent to the decor. The dress code too is casual with shorts, jeans and tee shirts were the norm. Be aware hats and caps are not permitted in the dinning room. I must admit I admire the restaurant for honoring a polite protocol so missing in todays society, as the hostess politely asked guests to remove the cover on their heads. Thank you for that bit of tradition.

I would recommend the restaurant for a casual meal in a slightly noisy, yet not objectionable surroundings. Just plan ahead as this restaurant is very popular with the locals and is very busy providing good meals with good proportions for good prices for many folks for a long while.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Everything you could dream of -- and more.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I never would have found (or even heard of) this place had it not been for the fact that I was working with locals in Omaha who took me there, telling me I'd be eating the best steaks in the world. Forget any scientific comparisons, but this is one terrific place. Wonderful bar, with lots of bourbons (and other offerings) to choose from, super-friendly staff, comfortable seating, very varied menu and absolutely great steaks and side dishes, served in portions too large for sane people to ingest, though ingest we did! You'd never guess from the outside what awaits you within. Farmer Brown's does what it does extremely well and it's well worth taking the drive to get ther..

• Visited June 2012
Chicago
“The best beef in Nebraska, which is saying a lot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I see one reviewer showed up with eleven people at the busiest time and had to wait (he says three hours, which I doubt). I've had to wait as long as 45 minutes myself. This goes to show you that this is a popular place, even though it has a rotten location out in the weeds. Perhaps the reason people are standing in line is because a 16 ounce prime rib costs $16. And it's the best in the world. Really. Show up with a party of four before 6:00 and you'll be seated immediately any day of the week. Omaha people are particular about their beef, and anyone I even spoke to there said to me that Farmer Brown's is the best. Absolutely the best.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
minneapolis
“still good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I used to live near there and went when i was a kid. I am 62 now and it is as good as ever. Great food, wonderful service, a fun old fashioned roadside supperclub atmosphere and convenient to get to from Omaha, Fremont or Lincoln. The steak and prime rib are wonderful and reasonable and the sides are delicious. Huge portions Highly recommend

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Omaha, NE
“Best Steaks in a Steak Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We go to Farmer Browns at least once a month and over the course of 10 years, I have never had a bad meal. I prefer the NY Strip, medium rare and it is perfect every time. My family has managed to try just about everything on the menu over the years and we have never had a bad meal. The staff is experienced and they know how to take care of you. On Friday or Saturday nights you will have a wait if you don't get there early, however my wife and I enjoy having an appetizer and some wine in the bar before dinner anyway. The wait is rarely more than 45 minutes even at the busiest of times.

The prices are very reasonable, especially when compared to the 'high' end chain steak houses. You can get a full meal for less than $26, including salad, potato, bread, & pasta. Wine selection has improved over the years and the prices are very competitive. The atmosphere is very comfortable/casual.

Highly recommend the drive to Waterloo.

• Visited December 2012