“Cute hotel, nice owners, terrible bed” 3 of 5 stars

Candlelight Inn
1822 East 20th Place, Scottsbluff, NE 69361   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Scottsbluff
New York, NY
“Cute hotel, nice owners, terrible bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The hotel looks like it was built as a low-end chain property, but the owners have decorated it in a (somewhat kitschy) Prairie Victorian style and the feel is much more like a B & B. My room was chain-hotel size and layout, but with only one bed, there was space for a sitting area, which was comfortable. Everything was very clean. Best part of the hotel is the very excellent country breakfast, which is served buffet-style in the large basement meeting room. I downgraded my rating, however, because the bed was rock-hard, the pillow was flat, and the linens were old and thin. Upgrade, stat!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tulsa, OK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

I was horrified when I went to this hotel. From the moment I walked into the lobby I was sickened by the smell and overcome by how cluttered and dark it was. Because of their 48 hour cancellation policy, I was told that I would have to pay for the room whether I stayed there or not. I went and looked at the room and again was not happy with the room or the smell. The hall was cluttered as was every surface of the room. There were stains on the red velvet chair and couch in the room. In reading the other reviews, I understand that not everyone feels the same about this hotel but I would never, ever stay there. I had to drive to Torrington, Wyoming to find another room but it was worth it. And yes, the Candlelight Inn charged me for a 2 night stay even though I expressed how unhappy I was with the room and they were able to rent the room out because of a bikers convention. I was on company business and paid for the other clean hotel out of my own pocket just so I wouldn't have to stay there.

• Liked — Nothing. It was disgusting.
  • Disliked — The funky smell in the lobby and the room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Riverside, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

We stayed at the Candlelight Inn for one night in July of 2007. The striking thing about this motel is the old-fashioned decor. The hallways and rooms are full of "antiques" and other old stuff tastefully displayed: books, magazines, teddy bears, knick-knacks, etc. I had fun just looking at the stuff. However, the motel is just plain old, so the room smelled musty and smoky despite the No Smoking sign. The walls needed a paint job, the lighting was dim, and the pictures on the walls were faded. There was no counter space at the bathroom sink, and the showerhead was quite low, especially for my 6-foot-2 husband. There was a large mini-fridge with freezer and a microwave in the room. The air conditioner worked well, but it was noisy all night. We had a very good hot breakfast (included in the $75 plus tax room rate) that included eggs and meat. This motel was a strange mixture of positives and negatives. It was a piece of Americana that I found oddly appealing, though I probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — Antiques and knick-knacks
  • Disliked — Needs refurbishing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Princeton, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed at the Candlelight Inn in June 2007 and just loved the experience! Our room, #124, was decorated in a "Bear" motif. Really cute! We reserved our room through their web site and received a confirmation email from the owners. When we arrived, check-in was quick and easy! Bed was comfortable, the TV worked, and the owners really put out a spread for breakfast -- huge variety -- and she kept cooking eggs and bringing them around to people at the tables! Talk about freshly cooked!!!
The location was very convenient for our travels, and they helped us locate a nice Mexican restaurant for dinner.
Great hosts! Great room! Great breakfast!

• Liked — Person attention by resident owners.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

This has to be the best value I have found. I spend over 150 nights in motels yearly. I look forward to my visits to Scottsbluff because of this motel. The rooms are more Bed and Breakfast than a motel. On arrival they have cookies and pastries. The breakfast is not only a full buffet, but you are also able to order something special. Without a doubt this is must a if you are anywhere in the area. A real home away from home.

• Liked — Decor, breakfast, and resident owners
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Candlelight Inn? Share your experiences!