“General Tso's chicken is terrific!” 4 of 5 stars

Tempura
North Platte, NE
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 74 Restaurants in North Platte
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Waterloo, Iowa
“General Tso's chicken is terrific!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We got to town about 7:45 p.m. on Memorial Day and were glad to find Tempura's open late even on a holiday. All three of us in my family shared the General Tso's chicken, although my brother-in-law didn't expect to have to share it! Once my sister and I tasted this beautifully plated dish, we kept stealing bites! The sauce was just right, a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and the chicken pieces were plump and moist. My sister and I also ordered sushi which was pretty good, there was one roll, I think it was called a Fuji roll, that I especially liked. But the star of the night was the General Tso's chicken. Wish I still lived in McCook and worked in N. Platte (shout out to everyone at Mid-Plains CC! :-) so I could visit here often.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Des Moines, Iowa
“Very good food, excellent service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We had sushi and chinese food. Both were very good. Would definitely return next time we pass through. The crab rangoons were FULL of crab. I couldn't even find the cream cheese (which isn't a bad thing)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kearney, Nebraska, United States
“Gotta try this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I have been eating at Tempura on a regular basis for over a year. I have never had anything besides excellent food and tremendous service!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Collins, CO
“Gotta Go Deep In North Platte”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

For a good meal in North Platte, you've gotta get away from the expressway. Tempura is deep within North Platte, and it's worth the little drive past the deserted downtown to this strip mall eatery. Both Chinese and Japanese fare grace the menu, and I was pleasantly surprised by a special changing menu of special rolls with combinations that were new to me.

The service was quick and attentive, with a gold star for taking care of the kids with trainer chopsticks and special attention.

The prices might be a little high for the quality, but this is Nowhere, Nebraska, so I'm happy to oblige the premium for something good.

Whenever I'm crossing the country, it seems I hit North Platte around meal time. And now, I don't have to worry about that anymore!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Surprising find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were looking for something less typical of the mid-west. Our meal at Tempura was delightful. Great special roll and the "box" dinner was fun and tasty for a great price.

Visited February 2013