“Nothing Special” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Kildeer, Illinois
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

After a long day of travel, we were a bit lazy about finding a place to eat, even though a nice meal is kind of a priority with us. This place was recommended by the staff at our motel and wasn't far, so we gave it a try.

Restaurant is apparently in a historical building, but could use an update and a good cleaning. There was nothing special about the food, which came quickly once ordered. I had a special chicken dish which I found rather bland. Staff was pleasant, but it wasn't really busy (or my idea of busy for a restaurant) and they still seemed like maybe they should have had another server on the floor.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Vail, Colorado
“OK experience and food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I never have high expectations of restaurants in smaller towns in midwest, and this was my experience at the Depot in North Platte. Service was OK, no excessive wait.
Ordered a French Dip sandwich, which was OK shredded beef on a mediocre bun.
Side salad was OK.

While food service was adequate, the restaurant did not seem to have a welcoming atmosphere. Some cleanliness issues.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Loveland, Colorado
“A Bit of a Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Depot Restaurant was highly recommended, but we were rather disappointed.

Part of the problem was the service. Our server acted as if we were in a rush--or maybe it was just she who was in a rush. Sometimes she brought what we needed in a timely manner, and sometimes not. She called us "honey" or "sweetie," which was annoying. We don't have an intimate relationship with her and have no desire for one.

The food was o.k. The salads were large and reasonably fresh. My wife had ribs, which had been parboiled and then thrown on the grill for a bit. Not a good way to prepare them. I had prime rib, which was just fine and was done just as I ordered. For some reason, however, the mashed potatoes came with a thick brown gravy rather than au jus. I should have asked Sweetie about them but decided to pass.

Visited August 2013
“Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here coming back from the west coast. There were lots of people waiting to be seated and quite a few tables open. Finally a server came up to the first group and asked if they were waiting to be seated. She said it would be 20 minutes even though there were open tables because they were short staffed. She was quite rude and didn't offer other options like waiting at the bar. We left! Mostly because we were travelingand were already behind schedule but I also sure didn't want her waiting on us. I am not sure what the other people did but that was potential for a loss of a dozen people from one small interchange.
The decor was very neat and I was super excited about the special!
If we are through North Platte again, we would give it a second chance.

Visited July 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Get one of Diane's tables”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Ask to be seated at one of Diane's tables, and ask her anything about the property, the restaurant/menu, North Platte, etc. She's a gem! Dinner was just what we had in mind (very complete menu), moderate price, easy parking.

Visited June 2013