“Respectable Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Norfolk
Grandville
“Respectable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I would stay here again and recommend to a friend. Fairly large property, with spacious breakfast room. As many reviewers already stated, average tasting breakfast. I was here for (2) days and ran to McDonald's one day for breakfast instead of eating the Hotel breakfast. Staff was friendly and rooms were clean. Norfolk is a town of around 25,000 people so this large Hotel/Conference was a nice surprise. They did a nice job on the basics: room, parking and TV. One thing to note, if you are up late and need a snack or drink they only have vending. Usually a hotel this large would have food snacks for sale, ice cream, candy, chips, crackers, pop, milk, tea, water, etc. But they do not. I would rate this Hotel somewhere between a Hampton Inn and and a Hilton Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Elevators fairly slow, I prefer room on 1st or 2nd floor so I can access the stairs.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Auburn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is my second time at the Lodge and I enjoy it more and more every time. The free breakfast buffet is just okay. We were there 5 mornings and every other day it was something different but got real tired of just eggs after a while. French toast or pancakes would have been different. There is a decent variety of yogurt, cereals, pastries, etc. I like that this hotel has a restaurant/bar on premise. For being such a large hotel and having so many amenities it is very quiet. The only complain I have is that some of the rooms have been half remodeled. For example there is a new sink and countertop in bathroom but door jams are starting to rust and wall paper is getting out dated.
I traveled here on business but if I was to bring my family back I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: I would get a room off the pool. They are a little more expensive but is nice if you request the 1s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived in this small town expecting a basic hotel experience....Were we ever surprised! Nothing was spared with the decor. There are giant wood beams, beautiful wrought iron railings, great bath amenities and a very helpful staff. We stayed in a king suite with a separate room with bunk beds for the kids! They even had their own flat screen in their room. If we have another reason to come back to this hotel, this will be our only choice!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I cannot pinpoint why I cannot rank this any higher than Average.... but it is average in every way. The food was bland, the rooms dark and the conference center rooms were tired. The staff was initially cold but they eventually warmed up.

The rooms are spaciously large. However, they just seemed tired. The TVs were nice, though.

One crowning moment, though, was the entrance to the lobby. When you walk in, you are greeted with beautiful wood paneling. Deer antler lamp shades added a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for a conference. I have never stayed anywhere this great for less than $200 and I have paid much more than that for less! First, the staff is great, the decor is great and the room was spotless! I cannot tell you one thing negative about this property. It was also a great place for a conference and the Sand Bar is a great hotel bar and grill! I would never even consider staying anywhere else if I was within an hour of Norfolk (pronounced Norfork).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sseversonGM, General Manager at Norfolk Lodge & Suites Ascend Collection, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you for you generous comments on your most recent stay to Norfolk Lodge & Suites. The staff is committed to service and always appreciates hearing from happy guests about their comfortable stay. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Bourbonnais, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

All of the staff members I dealt with were exceptionally friendly and pleasant. The decor was inviting. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was okay, but both mornings I was there they ran out of coffee and people had to wait. The only negative is that I went to make coffee in my room, and one of the cups had crusted sugar in the bottom.

I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was on my way back from Rapid City, SD after a horrible hotel stay and concluding business. It was 11:30pm. I did the usual and started calling for rooms rates. I called Ben, He knew it almost midnight. He help me get this room at a very exceptional reasonable rate. The rooms usually run $129.00 per night. Upon checking in, he greeted me with a smile. He went above and beyond, he helped me fax a document. He offered Reese chocolate chips cookies. He explain all the hotel amenities in detail. I thought great, that would be wonderful for the family. The room I received had an outside entrance and a inside one as well. The room is amazing. A decent size flat screen with a great cable selection. A huge bathroom with complimentary shampoo, etc. The room had a bar with mini refrigerator and microwave. The bed is soft and very comfy. A nice work size desk. I thought maybe I was staying at the Embassy Suites!! I would recommend this hotel. The outside entrance has a mini golf course and driving range. Inside is absolutely gorgeous with a wonderful indoor pool and restaurant. The price they offer is worth every penny. If you stay here. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with both inside and outside entrances!!!!!!!!!!! Ben was absolutely wonderful
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Norfolk Lodge & Suites Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!