“Lovely surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Lovely surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

I went to the Lied Lodge for a meeting and was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of both the lodge and meeting facilities in this small, out-of-the-way place (Nebraska City, Nebraska). My room was rather small but quite nice--clean and attractive. Meals in the dining room were good, as were those served in meetings. And there's a small but nice lounge.

I wouldn't travel from far away just to stay at the lodge, but if I ever have reason to be in the vicinity, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Architecture of lodge
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at the Lied Lodge the weekend of January 25th. It was our first stay at the property. Since it was January, we could only imagine what the tree filled property must look like in warmer seasons. We had a beautiful (snow covered) view of the orchard from our room on the third floor. The room was lovely, with the exception of the bathroom, it looked like it belonged in a older budget motel. Beds were comfortable and towels were thin. I did like all of the options for recycling in the room- paper-plastic-glass bins were available.

The restaurant served quality food, the only exception was the catered dinner we attended as part of the conference we were at. The food that night was very unremarkable.

The staff was friendly and very courteous. Wireless internet was free in the lobby and conference rooms. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2007

My husband and I had a great stay at the Lied Lodge. The public areas are beautiful – great lobby with lots of comfy seating areas, cozy library/lounge with friendly bartender, and porch with great views and lots of seating. Staying here was a true delight.

However, the Lied Lodge needs to update its beds, bedding and the thin towels. One night I had to call housekeeping for another sheet because the one put on that day was so rough from pilling that we could not sleep on it! The restaurant meals were delicious and the waitress very friendly. They were short on staff the four days we were there, so service was slow and the waitresses were constantly apologizing.

I would recommend a stay at the Lied Lodge – almost nirvana!

• Liked — The beauty and serenity of the lobby.
  • Disliked — bedding - thin towels, rough sheets
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

I was at the Lied Lodge 5 days in May for a conference. The facility is beautiful and comfortable. If you like nature at all, you'll love this place.

BUT - if you are considering booking the facility for a conference, meeting or other large group event, be aware that Lied Lodge hasn't figured out how to serve food to big bunches of people. We had around 100.

I didn't try the restaurant, but the food served to us during the conference was questionable. A few things were very good (smoothies for breakfast one morning) and several things were scary (burned chicken-fried steak, brats that were raw in the center, something for breakfast that was completely unrecognizable). Most things were just blah with an emphasis on high-fat, low fiber foods.

There were also very few options for those on restricted diets, either self-imposed or medically necessary. Once the staff was made aware that someone needed a special meal, the chef was very nice about fixing something else, but those who needed an alternative had to ask at every meal.

Essentially - the Lied Lodge would be a great place for a vacation, but I'd be leery about using the "conference center" part of the facility.

• Liked — Beautiful "tree-hugging" facility
  • Disliked — Large group food service.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

We recently stayed at the Lied Lodge and loved it. We weren't sure what to expect since we knew little about it but what a wonderful surprise. You just never know what hidden jewels you will find in this country. We are from Wisconsin and were passing through the area and decided to stop. We are very glad we did. From the time we walked into the inspiring lobby to the time we had our last fantastic meal we were most satisfied with this lodge. We have stayed at many lodges before and this rates with the best. I have two teenage girls and they loved it. We spent the evening playing board games nearby to the impressive fireplace while sitting in comfortable leather chairs and drinking a wonderful glass of local wine (just my wife and I were drinking the wine). It was a memorable family time together in a memorable location. The staff was very nice, the food was great and the price was totally worth it. We even stayed a little longer the next day and toured the close-by Arbor Day Farm. That was also
well worth the time and memorable. The only complaint I would have is that the beds were a little small. I'm well over 6 foot so it was a lttle tight but that was minor compared to the fun we had with everything else. If you get a chance stop at this wonderful place and take some time to unwind. You will not regret it.

• Liked — The lobby and the food
  • Disliked — Bed size
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Kansas City, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

I wanted very much to like the Lied Lodge. I'm a member of the Arbor Day Society and first heard about the lodge from their newsletter. That said, this is one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. The rooms are very small and worn. Our king, orchard view room had a nice view, and that's about the only positive thing I can say. The bedspread had multiple holes in it, the carpet had several stains, and the bathtub drain was broken. On Sunday evening we didn't have any hot water. The rooms also have the worst sound-proofing I've ever experienced. Without the TV or radio playing, we could hear a normal-tone conversation from the room next door. An additional problem we encountered during our two night stay was the unpleasantness of rude guests. Children were running up and down the hallways and stairs, and the fire alarm went off twice within a one hour period on Saturday evening. The front desk placed the fire alarm blame on these children, and they did seem to sort out this particular problem eventually. I know a hotel can't be held completely responsible for behavior of guests, but it was pretty ridiculous.
The only reason the rating earned a second star was that the restaurant is wonderful. We had both a nice breakfast and dinner there. We especially loved our chocolate dessert! The grounds are also nice, but overall, I certainly don't recommend a stay here. We will not be back.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

We have stayed at the Lied Conference Center both summer and winter and have loved it each time. We are from the East Coast, but I am a former Nebraskan loyal to my state. Even my non-Nebraska husband loves the Lied Center.
First, learn about the small footprint it places on the planet--the design and operation are ecologically innovative. If you agree to be on the mailing list, you will continue to learn about the importance of planting trees and shrubs to fight environmental pollution and climate change.
But even if you are not interested in the state of the planet--staying at the Lodge is wonderful. If you ask for a top- floor orchard room, you have vaulted ceilings and a view of hazelnut groves, J. Sterling Morton's home and park, and the sunset. The bathroom is tiny, but the room itself is spacious.
Hang out in the lobby--the fireplace roars in the winter. Hang out in the bar--the bar tenders are friendly and accommodating (my husband is allergic to shellfish to they created an appetizer just for him). Hang out in the dining room--the food is good (not NYC gourmet but really good), and the waitress might tell you about her life (we found our waitresses interesting and efficient in their service). Eat the apple-infused oatmeal at breakfast, and enjoy the walks even when the temperature is Nebraska-summer-hot.
Walk to the apple barn, to Morton's beautiful home, and especially through Nebraksa City, heavily treed and overlooking a tamed (by the Army Corps of Engineers) Missouri River.
And send a postcard to your friends on the east or west coast. They will say, "This is in Nebraska???"

• Liked — Beauty, diversity of experiences in a very small town, location to family
  • Disliked — It's off the beaten path unless you are driving from Kansas City on Interstate 35--it's an easy stop.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lied Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!