“Great BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This review is for the restaurant located in Nebraska City, NE. Their website lists others.

The dining room has a tin ceiling that was made to look old and cleaned up. The furniture is heavy wood and intended to take a beating from two fisted eaters of all ages, shapes, and varieties. The diners look like faithful repeat customers who enjoy really good BBQ as part of their steady diet.

Newcomers are introduced to the restaurant's sauces and given a small container of steak fries with which to taste the sauces. The waiter squeezes out a strip of each sauce on a small dish to taste the fries and gives and explanation of each: honey mustard, Texas (vinegar), original, hot and spicy, and a monthly special sauce which when I visited was a hot version of the honey mustard.

The steak fries were perfect: crunchy outside and soft inside.

There was ado about nothing concerning the amount of capsaicin in their hottest sauce, but as one who has tasted a Naga Bhut Jolokia pepper, I can say that it was mild in the extreme and monotonous.

I had a three meat platter: pulled pork, chicken, and catfish. They were all excellent. I didn't use any of the sauces because they were much too sweet for me and enjoyed the meats as they were. I didn't feel deprived at all and thoroughly enjoyed my meal.

Will I return? Yes. Will I recommend it? Yes.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The food was great, and there was a lot of it. You can tell it's good quality BBQ. I would have liked to have seen more televisions for sports, but not a biggie. The waitress was friendly and did a great job of explaining each of the five(!) different sauces at the table. If you are staying at the Lied Lodge and don't want to eat at their (overpriced) restaurant, go here. It's not far away and was pretty easy to find.

Visited October 2012
“Wish I could have tried the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Went there with my family, so five in total, so we were pretty noticeable. We were sat down and after 20 minutes of being ignored, we walked out. We did even get asked for drinks. We didn't even get a courtesy "we will be right with you" or "have you been helped yet". The place was at most half full.

I would have at least been valued if we been noticed. But after 4-5 different wait staff walking by us and people getting waited on after we came in, we figured it was a sign of things to come.

Mount Vernon, Ohio, United States
“Great BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We found this place by accident while out shopping the downtown area one day. It is not on the main drag but the food imakes it worthwhile to take the time to find. Excellent BBQ. We enjoyed our lunch and would try again if in town.

Visited August 2012
Racine
“AMAZING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was here after a day of golf across the street and it was awesome. I had the three meat platter with chicken, rib tips and beef brisket. I wasn't the biggest fan of the rib tips, but the beef brisket was HANDS DOWN the best brisket I've ever had. The portion size was astonishing, the sauces were great. It's basically like Famous Dave's except the food was great. I would definitely return.

• Visited August 2012