“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, Texas
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am a flight attendant, so I stay in a hotel about five nights out of seven a week. Flight crews have a reputation at hotels, and we are not their favorite people to host most of the time. I also have never written a review in seven years, but I just had to tip my hat to the awesome staff here. They are always helpful, courteous, and will bend over backwards to help you out. The first time I stayed here, the heat in my room wasn't working correctly, and they sent some one up right away, and he fixed the problem. Both times I have been here, I have requested a refrigerator for the food I carry when traveling, and they had no problem bringing one for me. The concierge was very knowledgeable about the area and was able to provide me with the location of good trails to run on, very near to the hotel. The desk staff is incredibly courteous, especially Keegan Thompson. No matter what I needed, she did her best to help or get someone who could. Michael Housh was the maintenance on call when my heater was broken and who fixed the problem promptly. I highly commend the staff here, and I feel they take this hotel from your basic hotel stay to a great one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback! I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize though for the issues with the HVAC in your rooms. However, I was pleased that Mike and Keegan took good care of you. As we continue our guestroom renovation (50% complete) we are adding refrigerators to all the rooms and checking all HVAC units while the rooms are out of order. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you won't experience the same issues. We really appreciate you taking the time to share you experiences with us and other readers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just stayed at The Cornhusker. There is much to like about this hotel, but a couple things to really, really not like...

Let's start with the likes... Good staff, clean hotel, somewhat large rooms. Nice view of the Capitol.

Here are the three dislikes...

The biggest: The renovation seems to have been done to the lowest acceptable brand standards. The biggest problem is the very small desk area lacks electrical outlets. None. Period. There is an outlet behind the immovable desk, but it's jammed with stuff to the point the coffee maker is sitting on the desk unplugged. (With minimum desk space, why is there a useless coffee maker there?) I checked in late at night and couldn't find a plug at the desk. There was one on the side of dresser, next to the TV, but it also had all sorts of things hanging out all over. There was one on each night table lamp, but ultimately I had to charge my headset in the bathroom plug. Next to the sink.

The next morning, I called the front desk because I needed to conduct a Webinar from the room and wanted the electronics at the desk. The desk clerk said the lamps that were to be on the desk would have plugs, but the lamps were caught in customs. She told me someone would bring a power strip to the room. Twenty-five minutes later, with my Webinar about to start, I called back asking if I could come pick up the power strip, but was told I couldn't. It would need to be delivered to the room. The maintenance man finally got there, but I had already taken out the ironing board in case I needed to use it as a desk near the bathroom so as to have power.

The hotel obviously knows this is an issue. Why aren't there power strips at the desks in every room already? Everyone travels with computers and phones: especially business travelers and even football fans. And why didn't the hotel install the power and connections panel found in almost every other Marriott that has been renovated in the past several years? Power strips are cheap, especially if purchased in bulk.

Second issue: The hotel isn't in or near any of the bar/restaurant districts. Unlike the Courtyard, which is steps from the Haymarket area, you have to walk several desolate blocks to get to where there are dining options.

Third issue: Parking. It's Lincoln. The Valet shouldn't be $16/night. I understand that it might be, and others should know. I don't fault the hotel for this, but it did seem a little steep, so others should know ahead of time. (It is on the Website.)

Room Tip: Ask for a power strip to be in your room before you check in if you want to use or recharge electron...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback, we really do appreciate how our guests feel about the hotel and renovation. Let me address each of you points. It is true the lamps in the rooms on the desk are not correct and will have the necessary outlets for charging devices when they arrive. As we have not completed the guestroom renovation as of yet 50% we were hoping to have the correct lamps here by now. We have ordered electrical strips that will be available on the desk to avoid what you experienced and hope to have those in this next week although a temporary fix, we know not having any at the desk is a real inconvenience. The coffee maker is out in the open as we have added refrigerators to all the renovated rooms and the coffee maker was previously in the credenza and many guests did not know it was there, so know they know and we have refrigerators for all our guests. We are located just 2 blocks to “O” street which offers many dining options and 7 blocks from the Haymarket. We bought a second van to assist guests who do not want to walk to the Haymarket, but may due when weather is not an issue. We are finding many of our guests don’t want to stay in the Haymarket area and prefer to walk or take our shuttle to experience it. With the opening of our new Miller Time Pub and Grill that seems to be meeting the needs of our guests especially for shorter stays at the hotel. I wish we owned our own lot, but being owned by the city actually keeps the price down for our guests vs. if it was privately owned. All the major hotels downtown have the same challenge. Hope this helps and thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The rooms were great, hotel staff was excellent. Food service was minimal and not the best, but there are plenty of good places to eat around the corner. The location of the Haymarket area is literally right around the corner so there was plenty to do when not in meetings.

Room Tip: Rooms were great, comfortable, reasonable. I'd eat somewhere else though..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport that is great and location is in nice, clean area.The rooms were so so. I was freezing cold and the heater wouldn't work. Room service food just ok and one of the staff members declined to tell me there was already a %20 surcharge on room service when I gave him a cash tip! Good place to stay for business not for pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
I was pleased to read you had a good stay with us and the staff took good care of you. We have renovated have the rooms and will complete the rest this fall so I hope you will come back to try the new renovated rooms. I have met with my food and beverage team and "At Your Service" staff to make sure our guests are aware of the 20% service charge when placing your order. I apologize that we did not cover that with you and we will make sure to get that corrected. Thanks again and please come back soon.
New Lenox, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I love to stay here! My sons attend UNL and I stay here whenever I'm in town for a fraternity or school event. The price is right, the rooms are comfy and well-appointed, and the staff is always friendly and accommodating. I will always stay here whenever I have cause to go to Lincoln.

• Stayed August 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. Rooms are clean and the the bed and the pillows are the best I've seen on any hotel in Lincoln. Breakfasts were excellent and the staff took very good care of me. The hotel is undergoing renovation, so next time I'll give them the five stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. We are getting there. The mattresses and box springs were all just replaced and have heard nothing but great comments like yours. The restaurant (Miller Time Pub and Grill - Lunch and Dinner and Cafe - Breakfast) opened two weeks ago and getting similar positive feedback. The renovation continues but nice to have some of the renovation items completed so our guests can enjoy. Thanks for your support and staying with us.
Conneticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I were very happy with this hotel. It is in a great location and the rooms are beautiful, very clean and the beds are extremely comfortable We got a very reasonable AAA rate and as a Gold Elite member we got an upgrade. Before I continue, I would like to compliment the following people .....Colleen Criss, Steven, Blayke Johnson and Candace Santana. The concierge club is being renovated , however, they offered their service at the restaurant on the 2nd floor and the food was just what we needed after a long travel day . A shuttle service is offered as well as internet service.

WOW! What a beautiful Marriott in an excellent location. The rooms are very nice and extremely clean with very comfortable beds. Shuttle service is available from the airport . The concierge club is being renovated but they had food and beverages available at their restaurant on the 2nd floor...Blayke Johnson did an excellent job here. i would also like to thank Colleen Criss, Steven and Candy for their excellent service. We were able to get a very reasonable AAA rate .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CHarperGM, General Manager at The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how great your stay was and specifically identifying Collee, Stephen, Candace and Blayke. We have a monthly celebration for all associates who are recognized by the guest and the staff for providing outstanding service to our guests. They will enjoy hearing what you had to stay. Hope you will come back soon and again thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Been to The Cornhusker, A Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!