“Very Good Food, Expect Delays” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 27 Restaurants in La Vista
Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop, Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
“Very Good Food, Expect Delays”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The wonderful thing about Gusto Cuban Cafe is that it is so different than many other restaurants in terms of the food it serves. You're usually surrounded by burger joints, pizza places and restaurants serving food from various parts of Asia but you can honestly say there aren't a lot of Cuban restaurants (at least in this part of the country). Cuban food has a lot of rice and beans so if you aren't into that, you've been warned. My favorite dish is the vaca frita, which is a shredded beef that is fried until crispy and served with onions on a bed of rice with beans. The big negative for this restaurant (and the reason I don't visit more often) is that whether you dine in or carry out, you're going to be waiting for a while. The restaurant is always understaffed. One time I tried to call in an order and the phone had to have rung at least 20 times before it was answered. It was almost a game to see how long it could go. Most of the times I've been there, the only employees are the owner, his wife in the kitchen and a greeter/waiter/bartender if you're lucky. With that kind of staffing, it only takes three to four dining groups to slow things down to a crawl. Other than that, the food is a little on the expensive side for what you get, but it is excellent. Expect an average meal with appetizers, drinks and dessert to put you in the $30-35 range per person. The owner does participate with several gift certificate websites so that can bring the cost down a little. If Gusto Cuban Cafe can get the resources to move out of its little strip mall and into a larger, more customer-friendly location, I would expect great things (provided it can get more staffing).

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Eating my words... and more Gusto Cuban Cafe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have previously reviewed Gusto Cuban Cafe and have since returned several more times. After our first experience, my husband decided the food was so good that we needed to return. Since then, I have noticed a huge change in the service at Gusto. It seems that they have hired more staff, stepped up their game, and focused on their customers. Now when you walk in, you are greeted and seated right away (unless you come at the busiest time.) They serve you bread while you wait for your meal. Your server will frequently check on you and ask if you need anything. The food and drinks are quicker to arrive and will be as delicious as always.

So why have I not upgraded to five stars? Because it is still a work in progress. In addition to more servers, they have also used their children as the hosts and (occasionally) servers. The restaurant is quite small and there is no waiting area. Again, you still need patience and enough time to enjoy your meal at Gusto. But please give it a try, the food will not be lacking!

• Visited January 2013
Volga, South Dakota
“great food, great fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We went to Gustos with our son and daughter in law for dinner on a Friday night, and they had made a 7:30 reservation. We arrived about 7:35, and were seated immediately! Our server, who we learned is the daughter of the chef, was very prompt, and very friendly. She took our drink order, which was one of their giant Mojitos, for the four of us to share. It was excellent!! We later tried some of the flavored Mojitos, and the strawberry and Mango Mojitos each were wonderful. On to the food. She was very knowledgeable about the menu, and gave us her honest opinion of the various items, which I truly appreciate. I had the daily special, which was a Tilapia filet cooked in Cuban spices and sauce, and it was marvelous!! My husband had the Lechon Caribeno, and it too was excellent!! Service was prompt and excellent, prices were reasonable, and atmosphere was outstanding! Now for the rest...we stayed later, because we had heard that there was Zumba dancing...what fun!!! I highly recommend Gusto's Cuban café!!

• Visited January 2013
Papillion, Nebraska
“Don't bother.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The restaurant has wonderful food. However, you have to wade through the children seating you, the waitress ignoring and then acting "snappy" with you when she finally does come take your order, and then you have to face a very long wait after you order. While you're waiting for your food, you are once again, completely ignored. No drink refills, nothing. The waitress brings your food, and then ignores you for the rest of the meal. Again, no drink refills. Finally, she brings your ticket for the overpriced food. I was really excited to try this place, because I love Cuban sandwiches, but I'll just go ahead and make them myself. Terrible service. The only person who seemed happy to have customers was the young child who very politely seated us and brought our water. That kiddo ought to teach the adults about customer service.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Omaha
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had bought the Living Social deal for Gusto Cuban Cafe when it recently was offered. My husband and I decided to meet my mother and sister there for dinner. As usual, I had to peruse the menu prior to going somewhere new... and check out the reviews. We arrived around 6pm on a Wednesday night and were seated within 15 minutes of arriving. It did take a few minutes for the server to come around with water and we did have to flag her down again to order an appetizer. Due to uncontrollable circumstances, we had to wait for the other half of our party as well. We ended up ordering for them and once they arrived, nearly 30 minutes later, the food still had not, but did get to the table within 10 minutes after they did.

Now for the good stuff... we ordered the Masitas de Cerdo Fritas as an appetizer. It was fairly dry and semi-tasteless. I was a little nervous for how the entrees would be. I ordered the Media Noche with fries. the sandwich was perfect with just the right amount of mustard and cheese. The meat was tender and flavorful. We also had the Pollo A La Tropical, Lechon Caribeno and the Pan con Bistec. My husband's chicken was so tender it was falling off the bone. The sandwiches are big enough to take some home. The red beans were delicious and the Congri rice was perfectly seasoned.

Our server was sweet and funny. The atmosphere was pleasant and the food was delicious. My recommendation? Try it out. The food won't disappoint you, just don't go there if you're in a hurry.

• Visited November 2012