“Can not recommend” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
NEBRASKA
“Can not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I decided to give this hotel a try while attending an event at UNK because my children had stayed here several times with school groups attending functions at UNK.
As platinum priority club members we were disappointed that we did not receive any perks at check-in. No goodie bag, free drink, meal discount, or free breakfast. Nothing.
The only good point was that our room appeared to have been recently renovated. Everything looked nice and room was fairly spacious. There was a nice, big flat screen TV and DVD player, micro, and ref.
However, the bathroom was rather small. With the floorplan it could have been easily enlarged during renovation or an outside sink added.
The clock didn't work and the heater was an ordeal. Heater was pretty loud and kept kicking in and out every few minutes. We decided to turn it off when we went to bed because it was so noisy. I'm sorry, I thought OFF meant OFF. Apparently not here. Off means it kicks in and out every 2 minutes with the A/C blasting out for 30 sec. All night long. By morning we were freezing and sleep deprived. The beds were VERY uncomfortable. All of us had sore backs in the morning. My husband could barely get up. While there was a large selection of pillows, they were all quite small, more like couch pillows than bed pillows.
Our toilet clogged and it took maintenance a long time to come and fix it. The maid also did not leave any tissues in the room.
The next time we need to stay in town we will try one of the many other hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Husker-Travel,

First of all, let us thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor of your recent stay with us; however, I'm sorry to hear as an IHG Platinum member, you did no receive the service you expect and deserve. We should have offered another option of a welcome amenity to you and I apologize you did not receive an amenity as being one of our most loyal members. I am also sorry to hear your heating/cooling unit was noisy. I am happy to hear you did enjoy other parts of our hotel and I hope that in an effort to gain your loyalty again at our hotel we can offer an invitation to come back for a stay that you deserve.

If we can be of any assistance, please let us know at 308-237-5971. We hope we can gain your trust back in the future. Until then, thank you for being an IHG Platinum member and staying loyal to our brand.

Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
OMAHA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I come to Kearney about every year in the spring. I love to see the cranes along the way! The hotel itself is the best part of coming to Kearney. The front desk is always friendly, interested and willing to bust their backsides for you to be happy.

I have always stayed in rooms that are quiet, clean and nicely decorated. The beds are wonderful and if you can't find the 'right" pillow from the collection they provide...well, bring your own. I love the rooms that can provide pitch dark sleeping and I always get that here. Windows in hotels are a menace to me because you can't open them and if you did, it would be noisy. Besides, we spend a lot of energy trying to cover them up well enough to sleep.

The hotel has easy access on and off interstate and to the main drag of town. I have been to the pool once and it was nice, but I am not really a pool girl and I'm a little scared of swim slides.

The restaurant in the hotel is really good and I like have one meal there while I'm in Kearney.

Parking around the hotel is plentiful and easy access into the building. This is the best hotel experience that I have consistently year after year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Janet S,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Kearney's Holiday Inn and for being such a loyal guest to our hotel. I'm so happy to hear you had a lovely stay and experienced everything you expected. We strive to have the best service and appreciate reading reviews from our frequent travelers and guests. I hope we can accommodate you again in the future. If we can assist with anything at all please don't hesitate to let us know; please reach us at 308-237-5971.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were in town on business & stayed in room 235.
-Nice hotel selection for central Nebraska.
-Some areas of the hotel seemed dated, i.e. guest rooms.
-Bathroom floor too slippery.
-Tub drain was clogged/slow to drain.
-Good water pressure.
-Good working WiFi in guest rooms & meeting space. No trouble logging on.
-Good restaurant. Good food. Staff very attentive.
-Friendly desk staff.
-Housekeeper knocked on the door twice-we were a late check out of 2pm.
-Good variety of meeting space. Good selection of breakout space.
-Gift shop sale signs posted all over the hotel looks tacky.
-Nice workout facility.
-Nice pool area.
-Family friendly.
-Good room amenities.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Meeting Broker,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Kearney's Holiday Inn and for writing an extensive review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the feedback you've provided about many areas of the hotel. We will address those areas that need improvement and those that should get praised. We hope to see you again soon - if you need anything please call us at 308-237-5971.

Lloydminster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed for 5 days at the HI, and I am very happy with the experience I had. The room was awesome, big and spacious. I do agree with another review, there is a lack of windows in the room.

The front desk staff are awesome. Very friendly and helpful and super nice. The one fellow suggested to go shopping at Buckles and even gave me a ride there in the shuttle van!

I ate at the restaurant three times, all meals and service was A++.

I had several Teas from the coffee nook and they were super yummy!

The gift store in the hotel is excellent!

I like the family feel of this hotel. Very comfortable and inviting.

Special thanks to everyone, even the fellow doing maintenance who offered to help me with my luggage.

This hotel is led by a great team leader and it shows in all of the staff.

Only one suggestion - you need a free breakfast like other hotels. :)

Room Tip: Ask for the King Hot Tub Suite!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear RodeoFoto,
It is so nice to hear all of your positive comments regarding your extended stay with us, and on behalf of myself and the entire staff we would like to say THANK YOU for choosing our hotel! Please let us know if you plan on visiting us again in the future, because you already are aware that we love to be your Kearney "family" while traveling! Again, thanks so much for the kind words, they are very much appreciated!
nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Planned a mini vacation and picked this hotel because of the pool. It has slides but no real swimming area. Food and drinks are not allowed in swimming area or the room located off of the pool area. So not sure of the purpose of that room! Bottled water wasn't even allowed! The pool staff was being paid to sit and read magazines while they drank from their water bottles! The pool was a total disappointment. The restaurant was very good though. That is why I gave it 2 stars. We will not be coming back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about the issues you had during your stay with us. I'm very sorry that our water center was not quite what you had expected, but hope that your family did find some enjoyment in either of the two 30-feet water slides or the kiddie splash pool area. Be assured that I will definitely discuss your comments with the Water Center Manager to be certain that all staff is first and foremost taking care of our most valuable asset--the guest! I'm happy to hear that you did enjoy our fantastic Sozo restaraunt, and that you will give us another try in the future. Again, your review has definitely helped show us some areas of the hotel that improvements need to be addressed, and it is appreciated very mucn.
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great Hotel stay. Our 4yr old son loved the water slide and pool area. Fantastic value for what we paid (about$100). Staff was pleasant and hotel was modern. Only thing could have been better was if breakfast was inlcuded.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Traveling_Fam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out such a positive review of your recent stay with us. I'm happy that you were all able to enjoy our indoor water center. I do hope that the Front Desk staff explained that all children 12 years and younger eat for free in our restaurant when accompanied by a paying adult, and we are also currently offering a breakfast rate that includes breakfast for 2 adults. I apologize greatly if these were not explained to you at any time during your stay, but wanted you to keep it in mind for a future stay at the hotel! Again, thanks so much for your encouraging review, and we hope to see you again very soon!
Everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spend a lot of time in Kearney, but this was my first stay at the Holiday Inn. We were impressed from the moment we checked in! The room was extremely clean with new-looking carpet, a huge tv, and a lot of space to unpack. The best part of this stay was the outrageously comfortable bed. Check-out time was at noon, so we had a lot of time to enjoy it!

We were in town for a wedding at the Younes Conference Center, which I would also highly recommend. The food was delicious, and the service was out of this world. I would like to recognize J. Paul, who made sure the event ran smoothly, Mary who did a great job greeting guests and keeping the public spaces in tip-top shape, and two bartenders who provided exemplary service: Kiersten and Josh H.

I will never stay anywhere else in Kearney!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nielsenka,
What a fantastic review of our hotel and nearby Younes Conference Center! It is so nice to hear the positive comments about the service and particularly individual staff members who made your time with us such a memorable one! Be assured that I will pass your positive comments on to each and every one of them individually! If you are ever in the area again, please remember that you always have a comfortable bed awaiting you at Kearney's Holiday Inn!
Tye

Been to Holiday Inn Kearney? Share your experiences!