“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
nebraska
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Planned a mini vacation and picked this hotel because of the pool. It has slides but no real swimming area. Food and drinks are not allowed in swimming area or the room located off of the pool area. So not sure of the purpose of that room! Bottled water wasn't even allowed! The pool staff was being paid to sit and read magazines while they drank from their water bottles! The pool was a total disappointment. The restaurant was very good though. That is why I gave it 2 stars. We will not be coming back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about the issues you had during your stay with us. I'm very sorry that our water center was not quite what you had expected, but hope that your family did find some enjoyment in either of the two 30-feet water slides or the kiddie splash pool area. Be assured that I will definitely discuss your comments with the Water Center Manager to be certain that all staff is first and foremost taking care of our most valuable asset--the guest! I'm happy to hear that you did enjoy our fantastic Sozo restaraunt, and that you will give us another try in the future. Again, your review has definitely helped show us some areas of the hotel that improvements need to be addressed, and it is appreciated very mucn.
Tye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Great Hotel stay. Our 4yr old son loved the water slide and pool area. Fantastic value for what we paid (about$100). Staff was pleasant and hotel was modern. Only thing could have been better was if breakfast was inlcuded.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HIKRNY, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Traveling_Fam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out such a positive review of your recent stay with us. I'm happy that you were all able to enjoy our indoor water center. I do hope that the Front Desk staff explained that all children 12 years and younger eat for free in our restaurant when accompanied by a paying adult, and we are also currently offering a breakfast rate that includes breakfast for 2 adults. I apologize greatly if these were not explained to you at any time during your stay, but wanted you to keep it in mind for a future stay at the hotel! Again, thanks so much for your encouraging review, and we hope to see you again very soon!
Everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spend a lot of time in Kearney, but this was my first stay at the Holiday Inn. We were impressed from the moment we checked in! The room was extremely clean with new-looking carpet, a huge tv, and a lot of space to unpack. The best part of this stay was the outrageously comfortable bed. Check-out time was at noon, so we had a lot of time to enjoy it!

We were in town for a wedding at the Younes Conference Center, which I would also highly recommend. The food was delicious, and the service was out of this world. I would like to recognize J. Paul, who made sure the event ran smoothly, Mary who did a great job greeting guests and keeping the public spaces in tip-top shape, and two bartenders who provided exemplary service: Kiersten and Josh H.

I will never stay anywhere else in Kearney!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Nielsenka,
What a fantastic review of our hotel and nearby Younes Conference Center! It is so nice to hear the positive comments about the service and particularly individual staff members who made your time with us such a memorable one! Be assured that I will pass your positive comments on to each and every one of them individually! If you are ever in the area again, please remember that you always have a comfortable bed awaiting you at Kearney's Holiday Inn!
Nebraska City, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is by far the worst Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in.The WiFi is terrible, I had to constantly switch between the guest and meeting internet stream to stay connected. There are no outside windows in the room.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear rainbow_lizard,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate you bringing the problem that you had with our internet service to our attention. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you again for your review and we look forwarded to seeing you in the future.

Zelyn N
New Ulm, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Attended a conference and stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kearney. Conference rooms were fine with good AV help available and location was close to the freeway and many eating choices nearby. The accommodations were typical Holiday Inn (clean and comfortable) but the outstanding part of this motel is the pool area. The hot tub was fine but the pool wasn't a typical motel pool. Instead there was a nice children's pool - large enough with a cute slide. The main pool had two different ceiling to water curved slides that kids would love. Wish we lived closer - we'd schedule a family weekend!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
STL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My business stay at this hotel was very disappointing. The decor is very outdated and the hotel itself does not seem well maintained. There was an odd smell as you walked through the hallways, and even in the room itself. I requested a king size bed, and they accomodated that by putting me in a wheelchair accessible room. I would not recommend this hotel, there are many other hotel properties nearby that I would have chosen had it not been for our company policy that required a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear aeharde,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the appearance of the property. We work hard to ensure that our facilities and services are superior. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Janice A
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

In the last 18 months I've had a chance to stay at the 3 major hotels in Kearney by I-80: Best Western Plus, Country Inn and Suites, and now Holiday inn. Of the 3 I will rank them on common items:

Pool: Tie between BW and HI, CI&S the pool was out of service during my stay
Breakfast: HI was the best but was also not free, CI&S was good and free, BW had the worst breakfast by far with cold eggs and sausage and stale pastries
Room: All 3 were very similar I give an edge to BW because the air conditioner worked well
Fun for the kids: HI wins this because of the quasi waterpark (more on that later)
Front desk staff/overall hospitality: HI wins because they were adequately staffed with 3-4 people running the front desk they were quick to answer questions and did a superior job at check in. At check out they offered to have maintenance come look at the AC unit but by then it was too late to do anything. BW and CI&S were both woefully understaffed with 2 and 1 front desk person during our stays they were so swamped at CI&S they couldn't really perform basic check in duties without long waits. I was happy with the professionalism that Holiday inn delivered here even though that has not always been my experience with HI.
Rates: all were similar with HI giving the best rate by about 5 dollars during my stay considering the water park I felt it was a fair value

Now as for the "Water Park". It's really more of 2 slides into a very small pool where no real swimming can take place. The water was murky green and the hot tub was very foamy I asked the on site lifeguard/maintenance about the water and he said it's always that way. My wife pointed out lots of dead bugs which seemed odd since it was indoors. The other half of the water park is 2 small slides with water squirting on them for the little kids, the water here is about 12 inches where as the adults slides have water about 4 feet deep. The hot tub was larger than I'm used to seeing and besides the foamy water was very nice and hot. The water in the rest of the park (pre hot tub soak) was very chilly and had me and the kids teeth chattering. All in all if you're looking to swim the Best western has the nicest pool but the water slides were fun for the kids and the adults at holiday inn so for a change of pace that is certainly a plus. Holiday inn offers an onsite restaurant which I don't believe the other two offer, I'll write a separate review for So Zo because it was so so.

I would stay again but if any other hotels offered a better rate I don't feel like this property is so significantly better that I couldn't be swayed to try something different. It does seem like they need to do something about the water at the water park. Incidentally if management reads this room 268 had the AC run on high all night and by morning it finally got down to 73, it was over 77 most of the night in our room. Further 268 has the worst drywall patch job I've seen on the ceiling towards the corner where it meets a bump out for duct work or something your maintenance person should take another crack at fixing that.

Room Tip: Crank your AC up as soon as you get in your room to verify that it's working properly if it'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear nahdogg,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review with so many great tips for our hotel and area. I am glad to see that you commented on what you enjoyed about the hotel as well as what fell below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. Your tips and comments will be shared with the appropriate departments for consideration. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Kearney? Share your experiences!