“Old and outdated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
STL
“Old and outdated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My business stay at this hotel was very disappointing. The decor is very outdated and the hotel itself does not seem well maintained. There was an odd smell as you walked through the hallways, and even in the room itself. I requested a king size bed, and they accomodated that by putting me in a wheelchair accessible room. I would not recommend this hotel, there are many other hotel properties nearby that I would have chosen had it not been for our company policy that required a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear aeharde,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the appearance of the property. We work hard to ensure that our facilities and services are superior. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

In the last 18 months I've had a chance to stay at the 3 major hotels in Kearney by I-80: Best Western Plus, Country Inn and Suites, and now Holiday inn. Of the 3 I will rank them on common items:

Pool: Tie between BW and HI, CI&S the pool was out of service during my stay
Breakfast: HI was the best but was also not free, CI&S was good and free, BW had the worst breakfast by far with cold eggs and sausage and stale pastries
Room: All 3 were very similar I give an edge to BW because the air conditioner worked well
Fun for the kids: HI wins this because of the quasi waterpark (more on that later)
Front desk staff/overall hospitality: HI wins because they were adequately staffed with 3-4 people running the front desk they were quick to answer questions and did a superior job at check in. At check out they offered to have maintenance come look at the AC unit but by then it was too late to do anything. BW and CI&S were both woefully understaffed with 2 and 1 front desk person during our stays they were so swamped at CI&S they couldn't really perform basic check in duties without long waits. I was happy with the professionalism that Holiday inn delivered here even though that has not always been my experience with HI.
Rates: all were similar with HI giving the best rate by about 5 dollars during my stay considering the water park I felt it was a fair value

Now as for the "Water Park". It's really more of 2 slides into a very small pool where no real swimming can take place. The water was murky green and the hot tub was very foamy I asked the on site lifeguard/maintenance about the water and he said it's always that way. My wife pointed out lots of dead bugs which seemed odd since it was indoors. The other half of the water park is 2 small slides with water squirting on them for the little kids, the water here is about 12 inches where as the adults slides have water about 4 feet deep. The hot tub was larger than I'm used to seeing and besides the foamy water was very nice and hot. The water in the rest of the park (pre hot tub soak) was very chilly and had me and the kids teeth chattering. All in all if you're looking to swim the Best western has the nicest pool but the water slides were fun for the kids and the adults at holiday inn so for a change of pace that is certainly a plus. Holiday inn offers an onsite restaurant which I don't believe the other two offer, I'll write a separate review for So Zo because it was so so.

I would stay again but if any other hotels offered a better rate I don't feel like this property is so significantly better that I couldn't be swayed to try something different. It does seem like they need to do something about the water at the water park. Incidentally if management reads this room 268 had the AC run on high all night and by morning it finally got down to 73, it was over 77 most of the night in our room. Further 268 has the worst drywall patch job I've seen on the ceiling towards the corner where it meets a bump out for duct work or something your maintenance person should take another crack at fixing that.

Room Tip: Crank your AC up as soon as you get in your room to verify that it's working properly if it'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kearney, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear nahdogg,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review with so many great tips for our hotel and area. I am glad to see that you commented on what you enjoyed about the hotel as well as what fell below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. Your tips and comments will be shared with the appropriate departments for consideration. We always welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you again. Hope to see you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is just another example of why Holiday Inn is my favorite hotel chain. Clean, well managed and fair price. It is alot easier to write a lot about a "bad hotel" than it is a good one. Suffice to say you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The best thing about this hotel: in-door water park. Amazing for families and adults. Kid area, couple of fun slides... super great place to stay. Our room was an interior room with no window which made it super dark and easy to sleep in... so be warned... request a room with a window if you need some sun light! Stayed one night while traversing I-80 and it was the best over night stay as a family we've had in a while because of the water park. Its awesome!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a clean, comfortable and fun hotel. It's the perfect place to stop for families traveling on I-80. It's easy to find - right off the Interstate, and in addition to an on-site restaurant, it's close to many places to eat. It's also close to the museum that goes across the Interstate.

There is a really great pool for little kids - a play feature with cool slides. There are also two large slides that are fun for kids and adults. It would be nice if there was a larger pool area for the deep water, but it's nice enough.

Staff was nice and very responsive when we didn't find a remote for the TV.

We were really comfortable and slept well!

They were setting up for a wedding reception in the activity room right across from our room. I would imagine it would be really loud when the reception was going on - the entrance doors to the ball room were mere feet away. Glad we were there the night before.

I'd definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask not to be placed next to the ball room/event room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you want a newer hotel and free breakfast stay at the Holiday Inn Express across I-80. If you are looking for more activities for the little ones, this is a good alternative!

Stayed at the Holiday Inn in late July 2013. I have two young kids and we were making this a stop on a road trip and had booked the hotel due to the waterpark they offered at the hotel. All the staff were incredibly warm and friendly.

The Good:
- Room was clean and clearly updated. I had stayed at this hotel in the '90s and it has definitely been recently remodeled.
- Waterpark was perfect for our little girls (1 & 3) and the attendant allowed us to ride the larger slides with both of them as long as we held on to them. That was a real bonus for us because they had quickly tired of the smaller section.
- Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful

The Mediocre
- Wish they offered free breakfast at this location, but understand that with the hotel being a conference center you don't normally get the freebies.
- The property is sprawling (3 times around the parking lot is a mile) and elevator access isn't great down on the pool wing. Just know these things when booking.

The Bad:
- Upon booking, we requested that our room be in an area that was quiet. The check-in clerk assured us that we would be in a quiet room, but when we arrived to our room, it was right outside the pool entrance and an outdoor access point. It was incredibly loud and wouldn't work for our toddlers.
- The second room we were offered smelled strongly of skunk. Finally, on the third room, the employee offered to go with us and make sure everything was up to par. That put us at ease and the room we were placed in was just what we needed.

Room Tip: If you want a room near the pool area, but don't want the noise, request that you be placed on t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome time at this holiday inn. There was only one room left when we booked but we had an awesome room with a jetted tub. I took my son to the pool and he was in heaven with the activity center and water slides. We also went to dinner at the attached restaurant and the food was awesome! Overall a great stop on a rode trip! I hope we will be back. On a minor note I wouldn't let the housekeeping knock on the door before check out time.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Kearney? Share your experiences!