“Never again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Kearney

You added Howard Johnson Kearney to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Kearney
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   619 2nd Avenue East/I-80, I-80 & Exit 272, Kearney, NE 68847 (Formerly Days Inn Kearney)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
Kearney, Nebraska, United States
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Kearney, Ne Days Inn is the worst experience we've ever had at a hotel. Starting off with no frig in the room, which was listed on the reservation sheet, and I kinda needed. Shower curtain was not only dirty, but moldy in the folds. We reserved a 3 night stay, and the first morning after going back to the room to get something, key cards didn't work. Waited at the front desk for at least 5 minutes before help showed up. Housekeeping forgot to bring us more towels. On our last night there, we were out late and when we got back to our room, key card AGAIN didn't work. No one around the front desk. Rang the "help" line, which was right next to front desk, NO ANSWER. Tried 3 times, letting it ring for at least 20 rings each time. So I called the local number listed on the reservation receipt, lucky to have in my purse. Still no answer after 3 tries. What to do??? Can't get in our room to get our stuff, or we would have left. Finally ended up calling the police dept. They tried calling, but couldn't get an answer. Sent out an officer who pounded on the "private quarters door". Finally lady comes to the door. I would swear she was stoned on something, almost no response other than a slight shake of her head to the officer's questions. But she made us another key, and we finally got into our room after 45 minutes of waiting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Discount coupons make this the cheapest place to stay...don't be tempted. I stayed here once years ago and did not remember that until I walked in there a couple of days ago. The internet did not work in the room so I had to use it in the cramped lobby. The guy on the desk told me to log on in the lobby and walk back to my room and the signal will follow me. When I walked in there the other day the smell of the in door pool brought back that memory. There was a sign on the desk saying there is a convention in town and they were not accepting the coupons. I said was it the same for all of Kearney and she said yes....but I could have a room for $80. I had been driving for 10 hours and I was so tired but said no I would drive to the next town...which is 40 min away...she dropped the price to $60. I said no. I then went up the street to a place I had forgotten about - Midtown Western Inn and they had loads of room.
That is twice now the staff of this hotel have been awful. I put the lady on the desk at the bottom of the decent human being scale that seeing how tired I was she was fine with me driving another 40 min then suggesting I go to one of the other hotels up the street.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I am losing confidence in the Days Inn brand after staying at their affiliate in Kearney, Kansas. This hotel had a lot of problems, starting right from the welcome desk. At 5:30 pm, prime check-in time, there was no one to greet us at the desk. The cleaning staff ignored us so after waiting about 5 minutes, we picked up the phone and asked the staff to come and check us in. It took the lady at least 5-7 minutes to get there and by that time, there were two other groups waiting to check in. She didn’t seem particularly apologetic about making all of us wait for her either.

We liked the continental breakfast, the microwaves and refrigerators in the room and the heater in the bathroom. Our coffee carafe was missing. The beds were good and the pool and spa were really a plus. They were well maintained. The hotel was pretty clean and the beds were comfortable. The fitness center had two broken machines that should be removed from the area. Our shower curtain had been installed incorrectly and this could be easily fixed with a couple of anchor bolts into studs. The “business center” was simply a small closet with a patio door installed. A cheap computer desk there must have had a screw loose, because it leaned back and forth about 4 inches in both directions.

I also felt that the staff must not have understood the American concept of “hospitality.” When someone comes to your house, you should greet them with a big smile, and especially so if they are paying customers. Instead, at this hotel, they were simply not around. They were not at the desk at check in, or in the morning when we checked out, nor were they there the 3 or 4 times we went to the lobby with a question.

Room Tip: Hallway with Room 115 was quiet, close to our car and also close to the breakfast bar and the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We spent four nights at this Days Inn while watching the sandhill crane migration. It was off-season so was quiet and the breakfast room had a place for us each morning. The room was clean and the service good. It is easy to get to and easy to find. The breakfast was better than average with fruit and hard-boiled eggs in addition to the usual muffins, toast and cereal. Coffee was available any time. We were pleased with our accomodations and would stay here again. There is no restaurant on the facility but they gave a discount for the Perkin's restaurant right next door.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nebraska, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This has by far been the worst hotel I have ever been in. While there for a volleyball tournament, my team had multiple disgusting encounters. After watching t.v. for a few minutes, we saw something furry dart across the room into our luggage. After checking our bags, we discovered a mouse! While calling down to the front office to get a new room, two ants crawled across the end table. Even the new room wasn't very clean, as it had dirty kleenexes and socks under the office desk. Once this happened, we didn't even dare eat their breakfast and had to go across the street to a local diner. I will never, ever stay in this hotel again. The 'best deal in Kearney' definitely isn't worth it.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Council Bluffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is not fair! I did not expect to just plain write!

I have been going to Kearney for the spring bird migrations most years for over 25 years. And for a Nebraska Water Environment Association Fall Conference most years over the same period.

THE DAYS INN HAS BEEN MY MOTEL OF CHOICE FOR SOME YEARS NOW!

Some of the reasons are:

--- Rooms are spacious, clean, and predictable - you can develop familiarity with them.

--- They are well equipped - large bathrooms, a desk, good lighting, a microwave, iron and board, etc.

--- The Days Inn is quiet - you can get a good night's sleep.

--- A PC and the Internet are available in a small private room off of the lobby - no extra charge. (This has been very important to me.)

--- The pool and exercise room are excellent.

--- True outdoor nature (deer, sometimes various birds) is available by walking a few blocks south and onto the Kearney City trail system to the west under the bridge coming from I-80. The trail goes along a small branch of the Platte River and eventually to Yanney Park - a park with many features.

--- There's a Casey's General Store just to the north - snacks, newspapers, and more - and a Perkin's Restaurant adjacent to the south.

--- Kearney has an awful lot to offer with a University of Nebraska campus and a whole lot more.

More positives could be said but this review has to end - Enuf! I LIKE THE KEARNEY DAYS INN!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Overnight #3 on my cross country trip landed me in the popular Kearney; wooden walkway across the interstate and endless miles of motels and all. Actually, who would have thought this bustling oasis of a exit would come out of nowhere. There were quite a few deals in the vicinity around the same price range; the green travel book echoed what the makeshift sign advertised right outfront, "best deal in town". And so, I booked. Right away from first entrance, the first impression; the small 'mud room' in between the front door and the lobby, smelled like something I never smelled before, a previous reviewer did mention it, it did smell like a foul south asian cooking scent. I was pleased when I got into the lobby to find this 'signature' stench was contained only to the mud room; however, the rest of the hotel (halls, lobby) had that powerwashed scent/feel to it. I can only guess within the time the previous reviewers stayed, this place did get a major scrubbing; my room was very clean and looked updated. the king bed was nice and comfy and bathroom had no cracked tiles or anything previously mentioned. This was a pretty low rockbottom price, so I would say the room was well worth the value. The front desk did seem a bit "to the point" but honored the discount and was accommodating. There was a little compartment room with a sliding glass door with a computer with surprising fast internet. The pool, a bit small but warm water but the hot tub was nice and hot. Hats off to who ever got on these people to be accommodating to the guests, in the closet size gym that consisted of about 3 apparatus, were internet print-outs taped to the wall (really, about 50 of them ! ) along with matching pictures and depictions of what recommended exercises to do. The breakfast room yes, was small and narrow, and I decided to sleep in rather then partake, but I suppose considering there were still stale cereal bits out and what looked like old milk containers, I can conclude it was just as appetizing as previous reviewers noted. Yes, to get to the rooms from the front entrance (if you can stand the reek) you have to go through this area, however if you park around the back there is a side door that takes you to the stairs leading up to the second floor. For the price I recommend, they live up to their signage best deal in town.
I should also note, this is a rare exit where there is actual lively civilization, restaurants a plenty - including a perkins right next door, lots of motels to choose from. Apparently there is a university in this town and shopping mall. The people did seem like a mix of travelers but that is probably because of this location being so close to the interstate. You wont feel like you are in the middle of nowhere; however its always a good idea to park somewhere well lit or close to your room; the dude in the truck wearing a cowboy hat wouldn't stop starring at me until i got out of my car to book and some woman was jumping rope right in front of the front door upon pulling up, heading in for the night after dessert at perkins (which was filled with locals) AND upon leaving the next morning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Howard Johnson Kearney? Share your experiences!