“Snowed In!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Kearney
Norfolk, Nebraska
“Snowed In!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was one of the unlucky travelers stuck in Kearney during the snow storm that closed I-80 down for 24hrs. I had stayed here before and so I was familiar with their pricing. They were more than accomodating with their pricing. They knew that we had no choice but to stay in a hotel and they still didn't gouge the prices. They actually offered me a "snowed in" discount. I think it was just a discount from my AAA, but they tried to have a little humor with a bad situation and it was appreciated. Being able to sit down and have a couple of beers at the reception without having to leave the hotel helped make for a good end to a bad day. Because the interstate was closed for most of the day the next day, I was worried I was going to have to pay for an extra night. Not this hotel. They let me have an amazing late check out with no extra cost. I will always stay with these guys. They have a caring staff who always seems to be willing to do whatever then can to help the guest out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Greg S,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are glad that we could accommodate you during the snow storm. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We will pass all of your comments on to the staff. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Country Inn & Suites Kearney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We arrived late and right in front of us a bus filled with college kids had just checked in. The customary cookies and hot beverages were all tapped out, the pool and hot tub were broken, and the front desk was so overwhelmed they couldn't really help us. This was just a no win situation. The room was mostly comfortable with good climate control and comfortable bedding. One note on the bedding the pillows are an odd small squarish thing which resemble couch throw pillows not bed pillows, not to my liking. Other than that this was a pretty uneventful and average stay. I did expect more from Country Inn and Suites and would give them another try.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear nahdogg,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We will pass your thoughts on to our staff. We appreciate you thoughts about the check in process, the pool, and your room. We hope that this did not inconvenience you at all. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We hope that in the future that you may give us another chance to show you a great hotel experience. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Omaha, Ne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were greeted by a wonderful lady at the front desk who welcomed us, upgraded our room, gave good directions to a restaurant we had reservations at. The room was a queen suite and very nice, clean, and with updated decor. It was great!

Room Tip: Top floor was very quiet and staff at the desk chose a room away from the elevator for us to decreas...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Konda N,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your thoughts about the hotel. We hope you enjoyed your time in Kearney. We will pass your great comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wedding was in December. We called ahead in September to have a block of rooms set aside for guests. Our contract stated a rate of $99/room for our guests, a rate that was good until a month before the wedding, our room would be free if we booked 10+ rooms, as well as a conference rooms to open gifts the morning after our wedding for free if we filled 10+ rooms. The day before the rate was set to expire, I called to see how many rooms had been reserved. The clerk told me that we didn't have a block set up. I was so upset, she had the manager call me the next day. When the manager called, I informed her of my contract, she apologized and created a block of rooms, extending the discounted rate until the wedding day. I asked her what they would do about the guests that had called and tried to reserve but didn't because they were told there was no block for our wedding there. She read off the names of the guests staying there to verify they weren't with our party and then assured me that no one else had called but she would discount our room $50 and we would get the meeting room for free regardless of how many rooms we filled. Turns out, a substantial amount of guests had called and upon hearing we didn't have a block set up, reserved elsewhere. My bridal party stayed here the night before the wedding and when we checked in on Friday, I asked if I could check in to our suite the next morning when I left so thtat we wouldn't have to do it after the reception at about 2am. The clerk said that was fine. Well the next morning rolls around and I was not allowed to check in. That clerk told me that they would have our suite cleaned first and we could check in by noon at the absolute latest. My husband went to check in at noon and that clerk informed him that they have a strict 3pm check in policy, no early check ins. So we had to check in at 2 am when we got back from the reception. When we checked in, I asked where the conference room was where we would be opening gifts the next morning; they didn't have us down for the conference room. Since the room wasn't booked, she let us have it but she tried charging us to use so I had to explain to her the whole situation and she finally gave it to us for free. We ate breakfast the hotel Saturday and Sunday morning and both times the food was excellent, however each time we asked the attendant to get us disposable flatware and plates (there was a sign posted that said it was available upon request) so that we could take our food with us and each day the attendant told us they didn't offer that until we pointed out the sign on the wall, then they reluctantly gave us some. After the whole terrible ordeal, I was emailed asking to take a survey about my stay, so I did. The manager then emailed me an "apology" that was all of two sentences, "So sorry. Hope you stay again." It really is a shame that they offer such poor service because the rooms are very nice and the breakfast was excellent, but the front desk staff is incompetent and the breakfast staff was rude.

Room Tip: We had a jacuzzi suite and it was wonderful, very relaxing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Webster, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When you walk into the lobby it is an impressive sight that greets you. A lit fireplace, Christmas tree, gifts under the tree, pine decorations wrapped up the staircase... All in all, a very welcoming sight after a long day driving.

After getting settled in our room and a nice steak and lobster dinner at Ruby Tuesdays next door, we found people hanging out in the dining area enjoying free drinks, nachos, pretzels and popcorn. We got some and brought it up to our room. A very nice treat to enjoy while watching a movie last night.

We find the bed and pillows at CI&S to be excellent. Very comfortable.

The only bad points: 1) tub is too slippery so we laid a towel down. It is an accident just waiting to happen. In fact, by the looks of the bar in the tub, it already did happen for at least one unexpecting guest. 2) the tub is one of those super cheap plastic units, which squeaked so much while taking a shower I feared falling through to the first floor... And at my little weight that should not be. I've traveled the world and can honestly say that is about the worst I've seen yet. Someone really blew it when they decided to install those... Not worth the little bit in savings.

Despite this, we still had a wonderful stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Travelin59,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and concerns about the hotel. Thank you for telling us about concerns about the bath tub/shower. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with this. We have passed this on to our staff. We are sorry for any inconvenience that you were caused. We appreciate you comments about the decorations. We will make sure we tell the staff that you really appreciated that. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope that yu will consider us again in the future.

Lakewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

room 312, Standard King

We occassionally stay at C I & Suites. This one is showing some wear & tear in the public
areas--stained and worn carpets in hallways & stairwells; the popcorn machine needs serious
cleaning. The overall appearance from the street is not as attractive as many of the other
C I & Suites we have seen.
This hotel does have some positives: our room was very clean, it was spacious, has a good
bed and pillows, has nice furniture including a good sized work desk .Additionally, the
front desk young lady was friendly, efficient, and helpful in getting us the best rate(& points)
based on a coupon we had for the hotel.

Room Tip: 3rd floor on east side (away from) highway was adequately quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear davontheroad,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments regarding your stay. We take guest feedback very seriously. It allows us as a hotel to make the necessary changes to the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We will pass your comments on to our staff. Thank you so much for staying with us. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is a great hotel if you are travelling I-80 - Superb location! Worth the stay! Staff were very welcoming and helpful. The best part was the waffles in the morning as a part of their complimentary breakfast. Hotel is very well kept. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Greg555555,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback regarding the hotel. Thank you for mentioning our breakfast service. We are always trying to find a new way to make that service better. We value guest feedback, because it allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Country Inn Suites Kearney

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kearney? Share your experiences!