“Interesting stop” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 20 Attractions in Kearney
Type: Monuments/ Statues, History Museums, Observation Decks/ Towers, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning Interstate 80 - formerly the Great Platte River Road - that connects east to west, this archway holds 79,000 square feet of exhibits on the route's evolution and importance.
Springfield
5 attraction reviews
“Interesting stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is interesting simply because the archway spans I-80. At one point you can look down and see the trucks and cars passing underneath. The exhibits are set up to show chronologically the change in travel through Nebraska along the Platte River. First the pioneers, then the pony express and the railroad, followed by cars on the Lincoln Highway. The displays are very realistic and interactive, starting with the covered wagons on the prairie in a thunderstorm. Outside there is a maze, an Indian lodge, and a sod house with knowlegeable interpreters. There is only one exit at Kearney at the present time, so if you are coming from the west, you will need to exit before you see the museum. Our family included children ages 6-15 and everyone said this was one of our best stops on our trip west.

South Bend, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
“Worth the time and effort to see it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I passed it west bound and thought it looked like a tourist trap. Read the Trip Advisor reviews before returning east bound and took the advice to check it out. I love that you can go at your own pace and the facility is big enough to review each stop without holding up a crowd behind you. Kids would really enjoy it. It's a bit of an adventure to say the least.

Visited July 2012
Riesel, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“Great history lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed the monument. I liked the idea of the headphones so I could make the voice as loud or soft as I wanted. This way everyone should be able to hear the narration. The paintings throughout were absolutely beautiful. The information shared on the headphones was very good and reminded me about how hard the trip across our nation was for the pioneers. We definitely benefit from their hard work and dedication to reach untraveled areas of this great nation. The sound effects of the lightning and train were also very good. The employees were all very friendly and quickly answered any questions I had. A must see place to visit in Kearney.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 attraction reviews
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I've always wanted to stop here and finally got a chance to. It's much bigger inside than it looks from the outside. It takes you on a journey of the area through the years. Very informative and educational. The audio stories were a great addition. Don't miss the sod house & pioneer garden and the earthen lodge. They were awesome! It was fun to look out over the interstate.

Green Valley, Arizona
36 attraction reviews
“A very nice museum - but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I thought this attraction/museum looked a bit gaudy from the outside as I passed under it on I-80. I even wondered it I wanted to pay the $12.00 to visit. But the day was gloomy and I had several hours to spare so I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprise. The museum is larger than it appears from I-80. It tells the tale of the pioneers and travel. The displays were well-done. The people working in the museum are dressed in costume and extremely helpful. I also enjoyed the outside displays. I did not mind the headphones and the stories they told were quite interesting.