“Simply brilliant...2 days of fun, joy, and excitement...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lotus Desaru Beach Resort

You added Lotus Desaru Beach Resort to your Saves list
Lotus Desaru Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Lot 1854, Jalan Desaru | Bandar Penawar, Bandar Penawar 81930, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bandar Penawar
Malaysia
“Simply brilliant...2 days of fun, joy, and excitement...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

My family and myself just returned from a 2 N/3Day break a the Lotus Desaru, on the 6th and 7th of December, 2010.It was our first time at this resort, and it was one of our best holidays to date. The 3 bedroom apartment we occupied, was very modern, comfortable, and spacious. The entire resort is very clean, and well maintained. we were impressed that even the beach front was swept a few times daily.

The food was in class by itself, and the staff were friendly, and approachable. Twice, we encountered personnel that went the extra mile for us, one lady on duty stayed back just so we could finish our game of pool, and a bartender at the outdoor Rhu Bar, served us very well.

I will happily recommend this resort to any family thinking of a short escape. My kids enjoyed the water park, and could not get enough of the long water slide.

Overall, I will rate this as a 5 star experience, and my whole family say they will only stay at the Lotus, whenever we return to Desaru.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
singapoor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Beware of expiring room card at 12 noon on check-out day!
My whole family was locked out of our room in our swimming trunks and costumes at 12.10pm. I walked up and down the whole 5-storey block in my trunks, hoping to find a staff. Finally after being stranded for almost 30 minutes, I realized I have the hotel number in my mobile, I made a call for help. Or else I would have to walk to the lobby in my trunks.

Guests were also made to wear an uncomfortable tag around their wrist when entering pool and water-theme park, including children. Only 2 tags were provided. Additional tag costs RM$5 each! We also had to carry around another Towel Card to exchange for 2 towels at the pool.

Only 3 pillows and 2 bath towels were provided. Hardly sufficient for 2 adults and 2 kids. Again RM$5 for each additional pillow and towel!

RM$50/pax charged for dinner buffet at the hotel was also expensive for the quality and quantity of food.

After 1 meal, I drove out for subsequent meals. I spent RM$30 on a simple seafood meal at the nearby (10 minutes drive) firefly malay seafood restaurant for my WHOLE FAMILY. A reasonable seafood meal at a chinese seafood restaurant in Sungai Ringgit (20 minutes) cost me RM$70.

Overall, the room and facilities were nice as weekdays were not so crowded. But the expectation of a 4-star hotel made this trip a little unpleasant.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Me & family with consist of young kids were there for 2 nights.Journey from s'pore to there quite easy & fast if you drive via wdland chkpt.Check in was fast & good .Staff friendly & helpful.Room is very big even for 1 bedroom ,best for families.Hotel is near to beach,easy access.Kids will love this hotel as it has waterpark.Downside no shopping,food advise to bring own like instant noodle or tidbits cos it's hard to find supermarket grocery shop in hotel quite expensive.There is in house cinema movie for children provided.Overall worth your money.

• Stayed December 2010
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We went with the extended family to this resort, think there are around 700 rooms. We stayed in a 3 bedroom, clean, although the bed was not of good quality, so I did not manage to get much sleep at night. The water theme park was quite fun, though water was rather dirty, but understandable, it was a holiday long weekend with throngs of guests. Whilst the cost of accomodation was reasonable, I was not happy with the pricing of the meals and activities there, way overpriced because there the location of the resort was that you need to travel quite far to get to a reasonably priced coffee shop/restaurant. Quality of food was poor in relation to the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Ever since this resort was renovated, it has been great. Looks clean and spacious except the water in the water park. Why can't they clean the water in the water park regularly??? This was pretty much the major drawback, otherwise I would have graded this resort much higher. But still this is a pretty decent resort especially in Desaru (forget about the rest of the resorts in Desaru, they are in bad shape). Buffet breakfast as well the buffet dinner, are pretty good (only issue I had is they need some innovative ways of keeping the flies away. They used plastic wraps to wrap the fruits! Of course it won't work 'cause once the 1st person opens it, the flies started coming. They need solid transparent plastic covers). Beach was great! Overall, we still had a great time. The kids love this place. If they can fine tune those issues mentioned above, I would grade it 1 more star.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We check in 8 Aug 2010 for one night stay after taking the review from here. All the comments as per descript. 14 of us from 2 yrs up to 70 yrs old, a big family trip. We all enjoy & satisfy as overall. Check-in is very slow, we reach 11.30 but they said room only available after 1pm. After consider of the young kids, they give us one room first but another room we only check in at 4pm. Anyway the staff is friendly to response to us even we keep on asking when can check in. Facilities overall is good base on the money paid, it is Malaysia Standard.The free Breakfast quality also looks great to us even the comment in this web saying not so good.
One more, the heater only will heat up after 10 mins on the switch. And only can let 2 ppl shower then the water turn cold again. Would suggest the family with yound kids like me boil the kettle water in bathtub for them to shower. My daughter cry like hell while shower,coz of cold water and shower head(no hose) she scare on the shower head.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

If you're heading for Desaru, surely your are not expecting a Bali or Phuket experience, right ? Likewise, it would not be fair to baseline Lotus Desaru with those out there too. Wiith that, I could safely say Lotus Desaru is the best that you can get in Desaru.

Great weekend getaway destination. Surely would get more value out of the price paid for a weekend at Downtown East (S'pore's very own resort at Pasir Ris). With their competitive tariffs & not having too high an expectation, this hotel would be a good choice.

My family of 4 ( 2 adults & 2 kids - 9yrs & 14yrs), we took a 2 bedrooms apartment facing the pool (I think it's block F, if I've not mistaken). Aircon, fridge, kettle, TV all worked fine. Breakfast (remember what you'd paid) - acceptable. However, don't expect prompt action from the housekeeping. As this is a big place & the housekeeping department seems to be somewhat short handed, I had a problem getting them to clean up the apartment - they eventually got it done late in the afternoon after repeated request.

One think I should add just in case those family with kids would want to make a rental of the bicycles for a ride around the compound, the bikes are all in poor conditions ! My son had problem 'releasing the brakes & in the process had a bad fall along the slope. Staffs did provide first aid readily.

All in all, as I had said, with the price that I had paid I got my value from my weekend stay. Unless or untill there's a better option, I'll continue to op for Lotus Desaru if I would to be here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lotus Desaru Beach Resort? Share your experiences!