Loved my Lochmara stay! A short water taxi ride from Picton (the skipper even stopped to show us some penguins along the way) we arrived to Lochmara and were greeted at the jetty and shown our room. We booked the cheapest option 'Sharewater Unit' for $90 and even though it is very small, I still felt like it was a bargain considering the surroundings and high standard of Lochmara overall and the free use of activities such as kayaks. The unit was clean and comfortable.
Exploring the grounds is fantastic, a beautiful bush walk with amazing views of the Marlborough Sounds but with interesting art everywhere then at night the glow worms light up the bush. Hammocks are everywhere throughout the bush which was perfect to lie back and watch the sun go down. Access to the Queen Charlotte Track lookout for 360 degree views of the Marlborough Sounds is well worth the 2hr walk - stunning.
I didn't use the outdoor bath or massage services or eat in the restaurant but I am definitely planning a trip back for more of a pamper day.
I think my experience was greatly enhanced by arriving on a Sunday night - as all the kids left!
Exceptional service, beautiful surroundings and lots of fun things to explore - overall an excellent experience.
- Also Known As:
- Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery And Arts Centre Hotel
- Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery And Arts Centre Hotel Picton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Budget to luxury accommodation in 14 units & bay view chalets set on the tranquil shores of the Marlborough Sounds, a short cruise from Picton in our water taxi (Lochmara can easily arrange this for you, there are no roads to Lochmara). Explore the Wildlife Recovery & Art Centre, nature & sculpture trails, Queen Charlotte Track, art gallery, wildlife, free use of our kayaks, or relax on the beach, hammocks or Bath House spa. Licensed cafe/restaurant serving local and seasonal produce and local wines. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Lochmara Lodge - Wildlife Recovery and Arts Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.