“Faultless” 4 of 5 stars

+64 3-573 4554
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand, Pacific Rim
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Lochmara cafe is set right on the waters edge of the Queen Charlotte Sound. Cafe serves local and seasonal produce, local wines and great coffee. Come on over for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We can arrange water transport for you from PIcton. Charges apply. Free use of our kayaks, safe swimming beach, rope swing into the water, self guided tour of the property with information panels to learn about the local flora and fauna, daily animal feeding, flying fox, art gallery......Lochmara also has accommodation if you would like stay a night or two.
Melbourne, Australia
“Faultless”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I am not given to superlatives in my reviews but this place was exceptional and deserving of its rating as #1 in Picton region. The menu is limited and this is sensible in a place where the logistical challenges for a chef are major. We had three dishes - beef was tender and flavorful; mushroom risotto won accolades from my sister-in-law and was a work of art; my smoked chicken was the best meal I have been served in NZ. The side of vegetables was the best I have ever had - cooked perfectly while retaining all of the flavor of each vegetable. Topped off with a Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir, it was hard to beat. And the attitude of the staff is impeccable.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Noosa Heads
“If You Need a Water Taxi Ask About the Cost Before Going There!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I walked part of the Queen Charlotte Track and headed off down to Loch Mara for lunch. Our order was taken quickly and we were the only people dining at the time. While we were waiting for our meals we were told that if we wanted to get a water taxi around to Mistletoe Bay (next bay around) that we needed to book straight away. My husband went up to the office to arrange this and came back a little surprised that he had been charged $NZ140.00 for two people to take us there. My husband did question the cost and mentioned that we were dining in the restaurant and that our hosts had recommended that we lunch at Loch Mara, but this was to no avail. As we had no intention of walking out this was our only option. We arrived at the jetty at the appointed time and along with us two, there were another couple with their granddaughter whom I assume were also paying. The remaining passengers all appeared to be staff on their way back to Piction after finishing work. I presume that they either do not pay or are offered a discounted rate to travel to work.

We were amazed that our 5 minute water taxi trip attracted such a high price as we had already travelled from Raitehi to Portage and we were being picked up from Te Mahia to go back to Raitehi a considerably longer distance at a significantly cheaper cost ( this was with another water taxi company). This was obviously a regular service between Loch Mara and Picton and our trip up to Mistletoe Bay was hardly out of the way.

The food was tasty but I would find it hard to recommend this place given our experience.

Visited February 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“great service, excellent views, very nice food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

A stunning setting and a beautiful sunny day made this a perfect time for my visit to Lochmara, to tell the truth I am getting a bit weary of visiting restaurants and cafe's in NZ as the process is a bit reverse Russian roulette like and although there is the occasional hit, there are many blanks fired as well. This was certainly a hit, everything came together, a nice boat ride in (after a nearby cool dive in the morning we got dropped off by Nine ( NINE DIVES ) on his recommendation) onto a jetty with a friendly welcome, a beautiful terrace overlooking the Bay, and a funny parrot entertaining us,
We had simple fish and chips for lunch and it was delicious, "clean food" Blue Cod ( which made me feel a bit guilty as we just saw his mates in the fishreserve ) in crisp batter , with chunky chips cooked just right, sitting in a sunny spot washing it away with a draught beer, served by a fun and helpfull waitress ( with beautiful curly hair ) who was full of energy and enthusiasm about the place, she also suggested we adventured into the park connected with Lochmara which we did for an amazing discovery of art and animals and views of the bay , NZ at its best., a Lochmara lodge boat ride back to our B+B in Picton made for a spectacular finish as we saw dolphins on the way !

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Lovely food in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed at Lochmara overnight and whilst the accommodation was average, the cafe was top notch. First of all, the setting is magnificent. There's plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy the views of the bay and maybe even dip in for a swim or a paddle on the kayaks.

The cafe has a great menu for both snacks and dining. I had a lovely chocolate brownie for my afternoon tea and then came back a few hours later for a splendid dinner. The food was well cooked, flavorsome and a very generous portion. The menu offers something for everyone...the steak was divine.

Breakfast was also great and their packed lunch was very tasty. On top of the great food was the great service. All the staff were very friendly and hospitable.

Definitely worth a visit.

Visited January 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Terrific food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at the Lochmara Lodge on the last night of our trek on the Queen Charlotte Track. The accommodations were fine, but the food was fantastic! The mussels starter came in a delicious tomato broth and was served with slices of thick bread. It was a meal in itself. The breakfast portions were also extremely large. The salmon scramble was delicious and was easily enough for two.

Visited January 2012

Been to Lochmara Cafe? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Lochmara Cafe, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.