“Amazing! Breathtaking...and just plain FUN!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bar W Guest Ranch to your Saves list
Bar W Guest Ranch
2875 Highway 93 West, Whitefish, MT 59937   |
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Amazing! Breathtaking...and just plain FUN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Going to a guest ranch in Montana had long been on my 'bucket list'. A couple of years ago I started doing some research, and came across information on the Bar W. All of the reviews I read were glowing...and now I know why!

I signed up to go to their fall Adults Only week and I wasn't disappointed! Every member of the staff was wonderful, outgoing, and really gave you a sense of security (especially when I got on a horse for the first time in 30+ years!)

First of all, the scenery was breathtaking (it's not called Big Sky Country for nothing!) and the whole experience was amazing! It must have been since I already booked for next year! The horseback riding, the wagon ride, the square dancing and the campfire with the cowboy singer were not to be missed!

The food was delicious and plentiful! They even celebrated my birthday with me and had a cake for all to share! Let me tell you, you sure work up an appetite after being out in that fresh air!

I made some wonderful new friendships on this trip and I cannot wait to go back!! Thank you Bar W for a remarkable vacation!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Tamarack Room on the first floor of the main lodge. Lovely and comfortable!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Everything was perfect! If you like to "do things" on your vacation, this is a must. But at the same time, you got free (personal) time. The ranch was beautiful from the lodge, to the lake, to the mountain ridges. The food was awesome - thanks Terry and Amy! I ususally don't eat meatloaf and had two pieces. The trout and salmon were delicious. The staff is friendly, patient, fun and knowledgable. Kari and Heather are very accommodating and make the experience the best. The wranglers were so helpful and fun. Craig, Katie, Lyndsay, Griff, Joe...you are all great! Dave and Scott run a great show and Lexi and Janie keep the lodge extremely clean. It is very cool they eat meals with you too! The weather was perfect. 40's in the morning (early) up to 70's and 80's in the afternoon. The all-day ride was my favorite part. Jason is an amazing archery instructor. This is a great trip if you are traveling alone...you make some great friends. I will go again and I miss everyone. Jenn and Ollie made you feel like you were at home.

Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

What an awesome week of riding, great horses, beautiful scenery, delicious food and a super group of new friends. All the staff and wranglers at The Bar W Guest Ranch were attentive to every detail and made my week at the ranch an exciting, relaxing home away from home and an adventure I will always treasure. Have already booked my return trip for 2013!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Bar W Ranch was a great vacation week. They do their best to make you feel like you are on vacation while welcoming you into their "ranch" family. The staff goes out of their way to be sure the guests have everything they need and they are always upbeat and friendly. The trail rides are varied plus the ranch offers additional activities. The horses are great, the food was outstanding, the accommodations clean and comfortable. New friends were made - it was a blast.

Room Tip: Glamping was great and comfortable with a wonderful view.
Greene, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to MT hoping to find myself and the Bar W was the best place to do so. The facilities were immaculate. The maintenance staff and housekeeping staff were friendly and interactive. Thanks Jason for being my square dancing partner! The wranglers were knowledgable, fun and cowboys/girls through and through. Thanks Allen, Katie, Lindsey, Griff, Andrew and Debbie for everything! And the food was ALWAYS so good!
I went solo and still found the atmosphere to be friendly and accommodating. I made friends and was "adopted" by every family there. Both the rodeo that we went to at the fair and the rodeo we participated in at the ranch were phenomenal. The horseback riding was the way it should be...on the trail, relaxing with with breathtaking views. When I wanted more help with horsemanship Scott accommodated me by having Griff give me a half day of semi-private instruction. Totally awesome!
I could not have had a better experience anywhere. I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: There was no swimming pool, but you can swim in the lake and there was a hot tub. Great after a lon...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My boys and I wanted to try vacationing at a dude ranch, after searching the web, we decided on the Bar W. I have one very energetic Dennis the Menace 8 year old and one painfully shy 12 year old so I wasn't sure how I could get both the opportunities to have fun while meeting their personality needs. From the moment we entered the door until we left the staff at Bar W treated as family. The wranglers enteracted and engaged my boys in all activities. My energetic 8 year old was wide eyed and trying everything immediately, I had anticipated the 12 year old to be attached to my side, only participating when forced and with me. By day 2 he was talking to and riding beside the wrangler; day 3 he was going to the barn without me to "hang out" with the wranglers and help feed. To my amazement, my shy boy had started enteracting and participating because the wranglers had made him feel so comfortable. The wranglers and staff went out of their way to meet the needs of each child, making them feel special and like family. The staff did not only work to provide an exceptional experience for the boys but they were just as interested in making sure that I had fun, relaxed and was able to participate and learn what I wanted. I cannot say enough good about the staff at Bar W-for the entire week, we did not have one single situation in which we felt like we were not part of their family, in fact when we left my 12 year old had tears in his eyes because he had made so many new friends. This is a child that is uncomfortable with anything "new". This meant so very much to me, to see him blossom and become so involved in the activities and this only happened because the staff made the boys feel comfortable. They took the time and initiative to notice each child needs and work to meet them! The staff really care, they offer assistance in helping make sure that you see area musts, provide pointers for riding, in fact whatever you need they assist in getting. The weather, the horses, the atmosphere, the scenery, the accomodations are all Wonderful and the food plentiful and delicious however it is the staff that separated the Bar W from all else. The boys are still talking about their friends in Montana and hoping that we move there soon. This truly was the most amazing vacation ever, better than we ever imagined. I have recommend the Bar W to everyone at work, and we are already saving to return. Wonderful!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Myself, wife and daughter had a great week at the ranch. I do not ride whereas my wife and daughter do so it was with some trepidation that we booked the vacation. I need not have worried my daughter immediately had a new family with the wranglers and spent all her time around or on the horses. My wife rode a lot but had some down time and during this time ranch organized a white water rafting trip for us both. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The food was plentiful and there was always something to do but you never felt any pressure to take part if you wanted to relax. It was a great family vacation, in a beautiful part of the country with or without the horses.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge upstairs which was comfortable and had ensuite facilities. We visited th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bar W Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!