“Best people, place, and horses in the West!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bar W Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitefish
Bar W Guest Ranch
You added Bar W Guest Ranch to your Saves list
2875 Highway 93 West, Whitefish, MT 59937   |
Greene, New York
“Best people, place, and horses in the West!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to MT hoping to find myself and the Bar W was the best place to do so. The facilities were immaculate. The maintenance staff and housekeeping staff were friendly and interactive. Thanks Jason for being my square dancing partner! The wranglers were knowledgable, fun and cowboys/girls through and through. Thanks Allen, Katie, Lindsey, Griff, Andrew and Debbie for everything! And the food was ALWAYS so good!
I went solo and still found the atmosphere to be friendly and accommodating. I made friends and was "adopted" by every family there. Both the rodeo that we went to at the fair and the rodeo we participated in at the ranch were phenomenal. The horseback riding was the way it should be...on the trail, relaxing with with breathtaking views. When I wanted more help with horsemanship Scott accommodated me by having Griff give me a half day of semi-private instruction. Totally awesome!
I could not have had a better experience anywhere. I will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: There was no swimming pool, but you can swim in the lake and there was a hot tub. Great after a lon...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My boys and I wanted to try vacationing at a dude ranch, after searching the web, we decided on the Bar W. I have one very energetic Dennis the Menace 8 year old and one painfully shy 12 year old so I wasn't sure how I could get both the opportunities to have fun while meeting their personality needs. From the moment we entered the door until we left the staff at Bar W treated as family. The wranglers enteracted and engaged my boys in all activities. My energetic 8 year old was wide eyed and trying everything immediately, I had anticipated the 12 year old to be attached to my side, only participating when forced and with me. By day 2 he was talking to and riding beside the wrangler; day 3 he was going to the barn without me to "hang out" with the wranglers and help feed. To my amazement, my shy boy had started enteracting and participating because the wranglers had made him feel so comfortable. The wranglers and staff went out of their way to meet the needs of each child, making them feel special and like family. The staff did not only work to provide an exceptional experience for the boys but they were just as interested in making sure that I had fun, relaxed and was able to participate and learn what I wanted. I cannot say enough good about the staff at Bar W-for the entire week, we did not have one single situation in which we felt like we were not part of their family, in fact when we left my 12 year old had tears in his eyes because he had made so many new friends. This is a child that is uncomfortable with anything "new". This meant so very much to me, to see him blossom and become so involved in the activities and this only happened because the staff made the boys feel comfortable. They took the time and initiative to notice each child needs and work to meet them! The staff really care, they offer assistance in helping make sure that you see area musts, provide pointers for riding, in fact whatever you need they assist in getting. The weather, the horses, the atmosphere, the scenery, the accomodations are all Wonderful and the food plentiful and delicious however it is the staff that separated the Bar W from all else. The boys are still talking about their friends in Montana and hoping that we move there soon. This truly was the most amazing vacation ever, better than we ever imagined. I have recommend the Bar W to everyone at work, and we are already saving to return. Wonderful!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Myself, wife and daughter had a great week at the ranch. I do not ride whereas my wife and daughter do so it was with some trepidation that we booked the vacation. I need not have worried my daughter immediately had a new family with the wranglers and spent all her time around or on the horses. My wife rode a lot but had some down time and during this time ranch organized a white water rafting trip for us both. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The food was plentiful and there was always something to do but you never felt any pressure to take part if you wanted to relax. It was a great family vacation, in a beautiful part of the country with or without the horses.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge upstairs which was comfortable and had ensuite facilities. We visited th...
Munising
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The very best people and place to go horse back riding in Montana. Took my grandsons to the BarW horseback riding and they treated us like family. We had a great time and my grandsons loved it. Everyone was so nice and friendly. Thank you, G. Leanes

Minnetonka, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was a little hesitant when we initially decided on a one-week vacation at BarW based on the fact that I was only an “occasional trail rider” (every 10 years or so) but wanted to see this part of the country.

The wranglers provided the instruction and coaching to have me riding with confidence in a couple of days and looking forward to the all-day ride on the Canadian border (not to be missed) by Day 4 of our stay.

The food comes in a close second, as they have two full-time chefs’ that had me showing up early to the kitchen to see what they would be serving for the upcoming meal.

I was most impressed with the staff, who went all-out to accommodate every request to make our stay a memory we won’t soon forget. We came home with hundreds of photos, several new friends and a plan to spend more time in this part of the country.

I highly recommend that Bar W Ranch if you are considering a vacation near Glacier National Park/Whitefish.

Suffield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This was our second time returning to The Bar W guest ranch. Once again, it did not disappoint. We were uncertain if we had built our first experience up in our minds, but the second time around was even better than the first! The outings are outstanding; the staff friendly and fun; the scenery breathtaking. Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay memorable and entertaining. It is also nice to meet others from around the country and around the world; to hear their experiences and share in the joy they are also having during their stay at the Bar W. We have stayed in contact with some of our fellow ranchmates - there is definitely a shared bond after our ranch experience. Don't miss out on this trip - you'll want to come back!

Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Bar W experience has been one of the most memorable vacations our family has taken. Our original attraction to the Bar W was demographics (close to Glacier National Park, airports, and community activities since we were traveling over July 4th holiday). This Dude Ranch experience exceeded our expectations, so it was no surprise to us when we met returning guests during our stay.

We stayed in the Bear Den cabin and were impressed with the cleanliness of the cabins, lodge, and the grounds. The meals are family style, the food is exceptional and the culinary team is beyond accommodating (needless to say they only had to ring the dinner bell once). The wranglers and staff join the guests at mealtime and gave us the opportunity to meet and interact with everyone during our stay. My only suggestion is to share those amazing recipies in a Bar W Cookbook!

We had no trouble sleeping in comfortable beds after our day was filled with trail rides, roping, wagon rides, skeet shooting, rodeo competition, fishing, square dancing, and dinners in the meadow. The memorable trail rides would not have been possible without the experienced (and accommodating) ranch wranglers (Thank you to Andrew Weaver – GM, Scott Hoover – Head Wrangler, Dave, Lindsey, Allen, Griff, Katie, & Joe). Don’t miss the day ride along the Canadian border, the ride was available on two separate days and I regret not going both days. Last but not least, a salute to our trail ride companions ~ Hawkeye, Piuot, and Wimpy.

There are outside packages that include white water rafting and rock climbing and the staff is helpful in providing transportation to Whitefish if you want to shop. We were content and cozy during our visit to the ranch and chose wisely in scheduling sightseeing in surrounding area prior to our arrival (we had no desire to leave the Bar W once we arrived). There is truly something for everyone, including peace and quiet – the hammock is ready if you need to relax and decompress. Miss Julia, the Youth Activity Director was on sight and kept the little wranglers busy with age appropriate trail rides, swimming, arts, crafts, and games.

If you desire fresh air, watching the white tail deer walk outside your door, starry nights, early bedtimes, good food, western comradery and a unique family experience you won’t forget – look no further!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bar W Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!