“A very pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 71 Restaurants in Whitefish
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Topeka, Kansas
“A very pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We've driven by McGarrys Roadhouse many times & always saw lots of cars there. When we tried it last week, we were so glad we stopped. Great food & service, friendly, wonderful atmosphere. Will definitely go back!

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Freeport, Bahamas
“Creative, eccletic and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The menu was very diverse and tasty yet really appreciate the friendly and personal touch of the staff including the host and chef who were the owners.

Visited July 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“I'll give a 4.999 rating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Back from holidays and now its time to take stock with my first review for Trip Adviser. After suffering through some very average restaurants, we finally found a gem in Whitefish. My only complaint being the lack of a hostess or somebody to greet us on arrival as it took a few minutes of waiting before we were attended to upon arrival. The food was spectacular and much better than we had hoped for. Upon our waiters recommendations, I tried a fresh Ruby trout while my husband devoured a huge rib eye cooked to perfection. But before we had our entree's we sampled the Asian tostadas and Heirloom tomato salad, also at our servers recommendation. We were told the tomatoes were organic and local, and at their peak in terms of ripeness. We were not lied to. I do not know that I have ever eaten a tomato so full of flavor. Unlike some other reviews we found the entire staff to be engaging and friendly. We were impressed that the bartender had no qualms about jumping in and helping when needed, all with a big smile on her face, and thanks for the recommendations John! This restaurant is on the expensive side but well worth it. I won't speak for the couple we were with but they were well satisfied also. Great job Mcgarry's!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Turtle Lake, Wisconsin
“Do not order a burger! (But seriously, do, they are delicious...)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Don't order the burger! Even though it is the most delicious burger you will ever eat in your entire life, do not order it. It's a 'fancy' restaurant. All I wanted at the end of a long day of hiking was a good burger. All the places downtown had an hour wait, and this place was on the way back to our resort, so we swung in. As soon as we sat down, I realized this was not a 'burger joint'. HOWEVER they did have one burger on the menu! So I ordered it, but it was not without ridicule from the waitress. She made me feel awful for ordering it. In fact, her exact words were "Seriously? I always think it's ridiculous when people come here and order a BURGER. But OKAY." She wasn't joking. I felt awkward the rest of the meal. Like, because I didn't order the salmon, the halibut or the filet mignon, I was like an outcast. If we lived in the area, I would never go back, even though that was the. best. burger. I have ever eaten. The only burger on the menu, in fact. I felt like 'I didn't belong" because I was in hiking clothes instead of a 'little black dress'. As someone from out of town, I was unaware that this was a place to go to order a fifty dollar meal, not a sixteen dollar burger....Again, great great food, bad service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Brynn, Thank you for your visit and review. Please let be begin by passing on to you a heartfelt apology from your server. In her attempt at humor, it apparently went horribly wrong as you were having a discussion about burgers in Whitefish. You're right about our $13 burger. It is fabulous, and named after my husband's grandfather, as is our restaurant. It has been on the menu since opening day, and we are proud to be using Montana Longhorn beef. There is no judgement here for what you order, and all price ranges exist for that reason. We encourage sharing, and offer split plates. We are thankful for every visit, no matter what a guest spends, and we always have been. Now, let's move on to your clothing comment. There is no dress code! It is Montana, for heaven's sake, and most of our guests arrive after enjoying outdoor recreation. Yes, your server was wearing a LBD, but it is silly of you to infer anything other than the fact that all of us here dress nicely out of respect for YOU, our guest. We spent everything to create a lovely atmosphere, and require our staff to dress professionally. We will continue to do so, and continue to strive to make every guest's experience a positive one.
Denver, Colorado
“never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The B&B across from the restaurant recommended this place and we notice that we are not the only reviewers that had the same experience. That being said the restaurant must not be interested in fixing the staff problem (maybe they are family members) We always treat staff with the utmost respect and are never demanding. The only person that had a smile and was welcoming was an attractive white haired lady which seemed to be the manager. I have never eaten in a place that had such an air of superiority and "I don't give a damn attitude" Now when you are paying that much to eat...you expect to have at least above average service. My husband still left a nice tip...which gives the message that everything was okay. Maybe if customers would stop doing that the staff would get the message that they need to make changes. Even though the food was good and the restaurant is very attractive, the attitude of the staff made the atmosphere very stiff and we would never go back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
KELLDOG, Owner at Mc Garry's Roadhouse, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
It is never acceptable for a guest to feel anything from our business except genuine hospitality. I am beyond words regarding your experience here with us. We have indeed parted ways with a handful of service staff over the years who just couldn't embrace our vision of guest service. Having said that, please know that my biggest regret is that after identifying me as a "manager" (I am actually the owner) I am at a loss as to why you left a tip, and did not ask for me or seek me out since I am so visible as the bartender as well. Catching the situation at that moment would have been very helpful for you as well as me. It always is. Your description of our staff is so way out of the norm that without knowing more, I can only speak with everyone here about your comments. Please, dear diners, we are uniquely set up to address problems immediately. Let us do that!