“FISH!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 71 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Recently voted by the community as the "Best New Restaurant" in Whitefish as well as the "Best New Restaurant in the Flathead Valley. Featuring fresh flown in and an incredible seafood selection and Oyster Bar in the region. 20 Wines by the glass and hand selected 10 craft beers on Tap. Located 3 miles north of Whitefish on Hwy 93 West. Open from 5:00pm to 9:00pm daily. Foodie, Canadian and Family friendly!
Whitefish, Montana
“FISH!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love fish and was super pumped to find out that a fishhouse was coming to Whitefish. I've eaten there 1/2 a dozen times and each time I try something different and am never dissapointed by my choice. The food is delish and that atmosphere fun, especially when it's warm outside and the big doors are open.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
StillwaterFishHouse, General Manager at Stillwater Fish House, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Kim,

Thank you so much for the encouraging support. One of the most amazing facts about us is the huge number of regular, as in every week regular, guests who join us during the dinner hour. Recently we have added our Weekly Fish to the menu. Selected from the freshest sources we can find it is always different, always interesting and awlays a great value at 16.75. Hope you can join us again soon.
With Best Regards,

United States
“I Can't Say Anything Nice (but have to say something)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wrong night/day/place/order/table/century? Sorry, no excuses. Poor all the way around. Maybe a visit by a TV celeb chef might pull ths establishment out of the bucket.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
StillwaterFishHouse, General Manager at Stillwater Fish House, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Flathead George,
Thank you for the comments and insight. I regret not speaking with you in person during your experience. While the vast number of our guests, many of them weekly regulars, enjoy everything about Stillwater Fish House, we missed the mark with you. I cordially extend a special invitation to share with me in person your detailed recollection of the evening. Please reach out for me at the restaurant via 406-730-1230.

Best Regards,
Kalispell
“An uncomfortable dinner.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I went out to the Stillwater this last weekend. It was busy, but not that busy, so I was surprised when we were asked for our reservation. We did not have one. The man at the desk seemed a little perturbed by that and immediately suggested we sit at the oyster bar, saying it was the best seat in the house. Well, I wanted a table, so did my husband. There were some open. He said we should get started at the bar and we would be moved. Okay. It was a nice looking view staring into the kitchen.
The man behind the bar, Marco was a trip. He was more like a car salesman than a bartender. Tried to sell us all he had. Pretty uncomfortable. We aren't wealthy and this place isn't cheap. When we bought a $20 bottle, he wasn't impressed. He kept talking to us telling us what he was doing....I didn't come there to have dinner with him. THEN when our table became "ready", he asked us to pay him direct for our wine! My husband asked if we could do it all at once at the end of our meal and again, this guy seemed upset. He said he preferred we pay him there.
Okay.....
Our server was nice once we sat down. She was kind of quiet, but prompt. The atmosphere was fine, once we sat. Our salads were yummy. The Miso Fish was a little small and overcooked and the fish and chips were okay. Still, for around here, not bad. We were starting to be alright...until the same guy at the front desk comes over and kneels by our table, asking us about our meal. That's fine. I'm glad you care, but please, just ask, don't try and engage us in some kiss butt routine.
Overall, the weirdness of the staff over rules my need to go back there. And unless you like that kind of pushy style, stay away from the oyster bar.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Dana,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Stillwater Fish House. Your discomfort while dining here is indeed rare within the 18,000 guests who have been served and entertained here since we opened last July. Rare or not, it is my highest concern that every guest experience is excellent. As the host who greeted you upon arrival my intention was not to downgrade you for walking in but to acknowledge the likelihood that one of those tables behind me had been planned and protected for your reservation. Currently about 60% of our guests find it reassuring to call ahead, even if only by a few minutes. If you had been such a guest I'm sure you would have appreciated our care and planning.
The sequence of events you experienced, although not to your liking, were according to our designed informative and ,yes, entertaining environment. Many of our guests who are seated at the Oyster Bar prefer to stay right there due to the very elements you found objectionable. Indeed my staff behind the bar was apparently too much in character that night and we have coached his performance. Concerning the image of "not cheap" I am very glad that you did take advantage of the tremendous wines on our ten bottles for twenty list and the Fish & Chips ( $11.75) which I personally eat several time a week. Stillwater Fish House is designed purposefully to provide excellent dining for anyones budget.
As a management team we took your comments on the menu items and directly evaluated our Miso Butterfish ( by most accounts the "best" fish our guests have ever eaten) and took steps to further insure the daily quality standards. In addition several programming issues were rectified to allow transferring of guest checks. For these insights and suggestions I sincerely give my thanks.
Regarding our last interaction where I paid a visit to your table for the purpose of honest concern for your satisfaction I am at a loss to respond. Many of our guests have questions about the restaurant and are open to discussing their likes and dislikes. I can only surmise that you were visibly unhappy. My efforts to engage you were based on the sincere wish to guarantee your satisfaction.
Stillwater Fish House is purposefully designed to be an interesting, informative and lively experience. When we are busy we are also noisy. We are a local eatery whose regular guests know each other well and often gather around each others tables. We are driven by value, quality and discovery. I invite you Dana to give us another try. Perhaps on a weekday where the view from the Dining Room features the peaceful panorama of Skyles Lake.
Again, I appreciate your comments and rest assured they have been given their highest regard.

406-730-1230
Manchester, England
“We obviously picked the wrong night...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was so excited to visit here after a day of skiing. I picked it as we find it hard to get a good selection of fresh fish in Alberta plus I'd read an article about how it had been started by a family, I love supporting independent restaurants. We booked a table knowing it would be busy due to the holiday weekend and arrived on time. It was very busy and we were told there was a 15 min delay. We were starving so were slightly annoyed after half an hour waiting for our table. We were given a glass of wine and a beer which I assumed would be on the house to apologize for a delay. Straight away the waitress wanted our order saying that 'we'd had time to look at the menu while waiting' we ordered oysters, the ahi poke tuna, (I was rudely corrected on the correct pronunciation) the chowder, and our Mains, garlic shrimp and seared scallops. First big problem, my husband wanted fish (shocking I know given the type of restaurant) we were told they had sold out of two of the four choices of fish. We had also been told that had sold out of all of their $20 bottle red wines. I was really annoyed at this as that was a big drawing point of going there for me. From what I understand the owner is a wine expert, I was expecting great things! Anyway we ordered and then we were brought the chowder first, we politely sent it back requesting we have the oysters first and then would have our starters at the same time, ten mins later my starter comes, again we asked for the oysters first. They came and although delicious were very small. Another long wait to get our starters. My tuna was beautiful when it came and the chowder was pretty decent. We were then given free hush puppies which were very good but cold. I was still eating my starter when Mains came, I asked for more time and was given a dirty look in response by the waiter, we were made to feel so bad for not wanting everything at once and actually wanting our food at the same time as each other! The waitresses had a full blown moan about something, probably us in the middle of the restaurant floor. We felt so uncomfortable and picky when all we wanted was a nice meal together. Mains were good but the fish portions were small giv en the price. While we were eating the staff started moving the furniture next to us and then lifted a table above our heads which I found rude and unnecessary. We were then told we couldn't have dessert as they had sold out! No alternatives, nothing. I found it ridiculous and amateur that they had sold out of fish, wine and desert. Their excuse that it was a busy bank holiday weekend did not cut it, they are a restaurant in a massively popular tourist destination, they should know better. The waitress informed us that due to our bad experience they wouldn't charge us for our drinks which were free anyway or so I thought and then proceeded to charge us for my second glass of wine! An absolute joke. The manager/owner came to apologize as he knew they had messed up but I felt like he was just placating me to avoid a review like this. I was so angry that they didn't tell us at the start what they had ran out of, my husband and I both agreed if they had we would have gone somewhere else. I have never in my life contemplated walking out midway through a meal. We felt like the owners greed won out over good customer service. Summing up, think carefully about going on a busy night, their food is good if a little overpriced but until they learn how to run a restaurant you run the risk of very little choice and shoddy service I'm afraid. Next time our money will be going to any of the other many fantastic restaurants in Whitefish.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Great dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Great dinnner. Fresh oysters. Salads and dinner were great. Good service. Wonderful dinner. Right down the road from the Bar W, easy drive and would be easy from the town of Whitefish.

Visited January 2013