“A lot of hype and no flavor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 71 Restaurants in Whitefish
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Recently voted by the community as the "Best New Restaurant" in Whitefish as well as the "Best New Restaurant in the Flathead Valley. Featuring fresh flown in and an incredible seafood selection and Oyster Bar in the region. 20 Wines by the glass and hand selected 10 craft beers on Tap. Located 3 miles north of Whitefish on Hwy 93 West. Open from 5:00pm to 9:00pm daily. Foodie, Canadian and Family friendly!
Whitefish, Montana
“A lot of hype and no flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Recently, a group of 4 of us decided to check out the fish house to see what all of the hype was about.
One of us ordered a double chop, one fish/chips, one shrimp/mashed potatoes, one a steak. Steak: well-done as ordered.
double-chop: while large, was flavorless
Shrimp: also flavorless
Fish/chips: eh....not bad, not good.

We all agreed that the new place seemed afraid to season anything. The atmosphere was loud and the decor odd for where it's located.
Service was okay. It was so loud, you had to yell to speak with the waitress who either couldn't hear well enough or was pre-occupied as she had to be asked time and again for the same thing.

Another note that folks should know: Beer/wine only. Not a full bar.
Like many that occupied this space before....I'm guessing the fish house is just passing through. Unless of course they figure out what the LOCALS really want in a new restaurant. However, the LOCALS don't seem to be the priority. Tourists come and go with their $$$.........to make it here, you need to take care of your own.

“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Fresh oysters..amazing Ahi Poke...crab cakes..and a whole fish to die for....delicious pinot grigio..and key lime pie to finish. My husband and I came with our 3 young kids..sat out on the lovely patio and had a fabulous dining experience. Everything was fresh and flavorful...and the service spot on. We will definitely be coming back for more. Excited for a great fishhouse in Montana.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Pricey, avoidable”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My sister and I travelled for a month and a half across USA and some of Canada and I would rate this place as the lowest on my list of culinary experiences. We were staying at their home in Whitefish and wanted a dinner place close by so we made reservations in advance. Nice setting on the main road but that's about all I can say for it. We were given a table speedily but after that no one, , but no one came to our table for fifteen minutes and when they did, an excuse of 'sorry, I was tied up with another table' is quite inexcusable. We overlooked that and in good humor ordered starters which were average. Now onto our entrees. I asked for Trout Papillote, which was described as steelhead trout bedded with celery, new potatoes, carrots, squash and cilantro sealed in Carta fata with orange and lemon slices served with a side of sticky rice. What I got was overcooked trout, undercooked almost raw potatoes which I sent back and received after twenty minutes still raw potatoes. All the entrees were over 25 $ so expecting a high standard of expertise was justified. Guess what, none of the dishes stood out and none of us will go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Columbia Falls, Montana
“Worst dinning experience of MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband I went here for our 1 year wedding anniversary. My fish was burned to a crisp and tasted so bad I sent it back and refused to order anything else. My husband got the clams, which the waitress said was big enough to be a meal, and they were full of mud, muck, sand, 4 clam were empty it was plain chicken broth, no wine, spices anything. They wanted to charge $15.00 for 6 clams and muddy chicken broth. The bottom of his dish was BLACK from the mudd. We ordered a $32.00 bottle of wine and the waitress brought it out to serve and after spilling it on us because the bottle was to full, she decided to admit they only had previously opened old bottles and poured them together to serve to us. Our meal should have been free. the ONLY thing that was taken of was my nasty fish. I don't see this place being open for to long. It is WAY over priced, horrible food, and obviously no respect for the guests.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
McKinney, Texas
“Excellent seafood!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

While visiting Whitefish, we dined at the Stillwater. All the food we had was fresh and prepared excellently. I had the special halibut served on a tasty rice and veggie mix which I loved. My husband had the butterfish from the menu, and he said if he ever returns he'd have it again. A real treat was the complimentary cornbread - yummy! The only reason I didn't give the Stillwater 5 stars is the ambiance. I don't really mind the paper tablecloths or the garage doors, but the place is wide open and really loud. We were lucky to have a booth in the corner so it was a little more quiet and the traffic by the table was a little lighter than other areas, but be prepared for a loud, busy place.