“Peaceful, Relaxing and So MUCH To Do” 5 of 5 stars

Lodge at Whitefish Lake
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1380 Wisconsin Avenue, Whitefish, MT 59937   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Whitefish
Dallas, Texas
“Peaceful, Relaxing and So MUCH To Do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you've taken the time to read down through the reviews over the last couple of months you know that this place is beautiful. My wife and spent 5 nights at the lodge and will diffidently be back. If you are looking for a nice place to go where you can be pampered by the staff then I'd suggest this place. Everyone was very pleasant. The valets were there every time to help you in and out of the car and with anything else you needed. Here are a few key take-aways that I thought would be helpful to me to ready if I was planning a visit.

1. Book early, this place fills up quickly and for a good reason. Its not the cheapest place to stay but its the nicest place in the whole area.

2. The rooms are great. We stayed in the main lodge for 3 nights on the 3rd floor. The room was very spacious and very clean. Even though we didn't pay for the lake view rooms we still had a partial view of the lake from the balcony.

3. We had to move to the Viking building for the last two nights of the stay. At first I was a little bummed about it but let me tell you, the rooms were just as nice. Maybe a little smaller but the place was quite and peaceful. The Viking building is across the street from the main lodge so you won't be able to see the lake but if you request a room at the end of the building facing the nature preserve you won't be disappointed. Just a little secret that I am not too many people knew about it is that in the Viking building at the end of the building there is a hot tub and a fire pit that I never saw anyone use. I just don't think many people knew it was there as they never walked out that end of the building. The hotel does not have anyone staffed over there in the lobby so I guess folks just never went and looked. Its a great find. When we go back, we will probably stay in the Viking building the whole time....its a little cheaper and in my opinion just as nice, esp. if you are just using the hotel mostly for sleeping while you are out all day long visiting other attractions.

4. We also went the second week in September and found that it was right at the end of the busy season so the town and surrounding area was not as busy. If you don't like crowds then I'd say that this time of the year would be a great time to visit.

5. We stayed away from eating at the lodge because of the poor reviews that I had been reading all summer so I really can't comment on their service in the bar or restaurant.

6. Area attractions If you have the time I would highly recommend the zip-line and tree top tours up on the ski resort. Each of those will take about 2.5 hrs but they were great experienes that my wife and I will never forget. If you haven't zip-lined before this will be worth the money you spend. I had't done it before but others in our tour had and said this was so much better then any others they have been on. I highly recommend that you spend the $40 and rent a helmet camera if you don't have one. If you do....make sure you angle it so that you are not seeing the handle bar the whole time.....we had a lot of those shots.

7. Food - we ate at several places but really liked LouLa's Cafe. Super great breakfast! We loved it so much that we ate there twice, go have a breakfast or even a dinner (only certain nights) and you won't bee disappointed. My wife had fish taco's one night and said they were the best she's had ever. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There wasn't a big crowd there the week we were there but I could see how the rooms just above t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Ostrander, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We wanted to stay at this lodge, but it was booked up when we were making reservations. So, when we were in Whitefish, we made a point of visiting the lodge. From the moment we drove in until we left we were impressed. The valets opened up a parking spot in front for us when we told them we just "wanted to look around". The inside of the lodge is beautiful. Then we decided to stay for a drink which led to staying for lunch on the outside deck. When I went to check to make sure we were ok in our parking spot, the doors were "magically" opened by the valets (there is no window in the doors!). Lunch was superb! We split the smoked turkey club with fries. The serving was plenty for 2. The iced tea was clear and tasted like tea (not watered down). When we left, again the doors were "magically" opened for us. Can't wait to stay here next time!

hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

wow, this place is superb
great room, great location on a beautiful lake
staff superb, restaurant fabulous as was the bar
rooms amazing
also loved whitefish and glacier national park
will highly recommend to my clients

Room Tip: any we even had the viking section (cheaper rooms) which is superb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This lodge offers beautiful views of Whitefish Lake. The balcony at the restaurant is especially nice at sunset. We had a poolside suite which was ground level. If you want to leave the drapes open be prepared to see everyone that passes by. The shades that filter the sun offers some privacy though. The restaurant and lounge served good food and drink. The wait staff was friendly and efficient especially Emily. The only complaint we have is that the only cereal offered on the menu was Cheerios. The granola was good but most restaurants offer a selection of commercial cereals. One of the coin operated washing machines was broken but a laundromat is just down the street. Overall our week here offered us everything we needed to explore Glacier National Park.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a two queen studio w/ lake view. We had a corner room w/ two balconies. The rooms are quite spacious. The décor is a bit dated and getting a bit shabby looking. The drapery was falling off the rods and housekeeping did not fix. We had to stand on a chair to reattach the drapes so we could close them at night.
The bathroom is very large but not very practical. There were two sinks...but then that left no space to put anything on counter. The corner tub was nice, but awfully difficult to get in and out of the tub.
The beds were fairly comfortable but the pillows were awful. The air conditioning never did get the room very cool and the actual air conditioning unit was in a locked closet and was distractingly loud.
But the real turn off for this resort was the awful dinner food and the awful service for dinner/drinks. Spouse ordered some buffalo wings...they were inedible. Not hot...but overly salty. Like someone had poured all the seasoning from the kitchen into the sauce. We pointed this out to the server...asked him to take back and have the chef taste the product...the server looked at me like I was nuts and left the product on the table. I had a hamburger that was overcooked and had no seasoning. (Guess it all went into the buffalo sauce).
We could not find an open restaurant on the Monday we were there so we tried the food again, same poor service and this time the food had no flavor at all. When was the last time you had to put salt and pepper on a pizza to just give it some flavor?
Breakfast was quick and delicious and we were surprised at how good the service and food were.
Upon checking out, the automatic service to check out in the room did not work. So we stood at the counter while two people had their backs to us and they were discussing a billing problem...someone had wrote a 4 that looked like a nine and we got to hear about 3 minutes or so of a handwriting conversation. One of the clerks did see us standing there but since her boss was giving her a handwriting lesson she did not even acknowledge us at counter. Finally he looked up and gave her the 'look' to take care of us. She came over and we said we were checking out and that the automatic system didn't work. She said okay. Goodbye. OKAY? Seriously not even a 'hope you enjoyed your stay' or a thank you. Just okay, goodbye.
I would not recommend this place to anyone. If you're going to be in Whitefish, find another place to stay. This place is not worth the money and it is not an upscale resort anymore. Don't know when it was a great place, but it really is not very lovely anymore.

La Canada Flintridge, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a special evening event with a group and had cocktails and dinner. This is a wonderful setting with the back of the hotel, the patio, and the room we had dinner in, overlooking the swimming pool and facing the lovely lake. It was a beautiful early evening with the sun glittering off the lake. Be sure to sit on the patio and have a drink. Good food and attentive staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Ma.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this beautiful place with confirmation in hand. Good thing, because the front desk was denying even with written confirmation that we we had a valid booking. Most incompetent front desk. It took three people to find us a room, not the one I had booked or paid for. Get a grip! This is no way to treat your incoming guests. I wonder if they care. A quite superior attitude.

To their credit, The valets were friendly and helpful as were the waiters in the dining room but the feeling that you are a valued guest is never apparent. And please avoid the restaurant unless you are stranded because of a major storm. As my husband said," the steak almost rose to the level of mediocrity." My chicken was good. Our waiter was good too.

They find a. way to make you pay for everything- parking, a breakfast bar that serves a quick cup of coffee. How about a &100 security deposit in case you sneak out with a can of peanuts from the stash in your room or a diet soda from the fridge.
Nothing is complimentary here. You are the paying customer and that is just what you come away with. It is a beautiful place on a lovely lake but there it ends. It has no heart; it is cold as ice. Couldn't wait to get outbox there.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lodge at Whitefish Lake? Share your experiences!