“Wedding in Whitefish!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Whitefish
Edmonton, Alberta
“Wedding in Whitefish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We travelled down to Whitefish the last weekend of October 2012. We were invited to a close friend of mine's wedding, and having been to Whitefish before, I definitely was in for all of the fun! The Lodge was a great place to stay. Had absolutely everything we needed (minus a pool. They have one, but it is outdoor and with it being October, it definitely wasn't open. On that note, a hotel staff member mentioned something about them putting in an indoor one in the near future!) Our room was great. Had a small fridge, microwave, king size bed, flat sceen above the fireplace. Lots of space. The bathroom was ginormous. Everything had that mountain lodge appeal to it. And the Lodge was about 3 minutes from town if you had a craving for some more rowdy nightlife.
I found the staff extremely helpful with everything. The courtesy driver into town was fabulous. Dropped us off and even gave us menu recommendations at the restaurants we were headed to (which I took him up on, and he was right, the organic, grass fed burger was fantastic!) They had a great trivia night in the lounge on the Thursday night which we all partook in. To be honest the only meals we had at the actual Lodge were snacks and such playing trivia or having a drink (think wings and pizza) or the food at the actual wedding (which was fantastic.) This was partly due to us being out and about a lot. The last day we were there, we definitely needed some relaxation, and booked a couples massage at the spa. It was excactly what we needed before the drive home.
I would totally recommend the Lodge at Whitefish Lake to anyone. I know the skiing in the winter is fabulous and the summer is absolutely stunning! We had a great time even in the off season, so you know it has to be good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for four nights. Staff were very helpful, great location and lots of activities for children. We stayed in the Viking lodge, which was nice, just a little out of the way from the main lodge, but overall not a point that would stop us from staying here again. The hotel had everything you would need and more. Lots of nice little touches, like fire pits, hot tubs, and an ice bar outside. Rooms were very clean and comfortable beds. I had only one complaint, and that was they cleaned the hot tub in the Viking lodge every day, which meant it was closed down at the most inappropriate times. When coming back from skiing I really looked forward to this, but three out of four days it was closed. You could go to the main lodge to get in but that was a long walk in a robe! Other than that we really enjoyed ourselves and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get in the main lodge or second floor of the Viking lodge
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

For the aesthetics of the rooms, I'd give a very enthusiastic recommendation. The space in the king room is limited but doesn't feel that way, really. The high ceilings and beautiful finishes more than satisfy. The bed is plush and comfortable. It all feels fairly high-end. The photos of rooms on the website don't quite do them justice. So if you're wondering whether the rooms look like that: Yes, they do. But better.

In fact, the room was very beautiful and the very large bathroom was a treat-- with the stone showers and the extra-deep tub.

I also found staff I encountered to be very pleasant.

I took a king room with lake view. I'm not sure the view was worth the extra money. It's nice to have water out the window. But, really, the "lake" is more like a pond and while nice, not breathtaking. On the other hand, it's hard to measure up when you're a half-hour from Glacier National Park. It seemed like the non-view rooms looked onto small parking areas.

The common areas of the Lodge are nice. Rustic charm, with everything well-designed in well taken care of. I would have liked there to be some outdoor space for strolling but there's really not. I had the idea that the place was tucked away into some woods but that's not really the case.

I had one problem with my room, which while minor to other people might actually dissuade me from staying at the Lodge next time I'm in the area. My room was quite hot, even with the heat and gas fireplace completely shut off. Opening the windows helped -- but smoke from the otherwise charming open fires outside spoiled things a bit and left my clothes smelling less than fresh. Temperature is obviously a factor in comfort.

I ordered from room service. It was good, not great. A hamburger tasted like a frozen patty, though a good one. (Being in the "country," I imagined I'd get amazing beef. Not so much.) Squash soup was nicely spiced but too sweet. The greens and dressing were actually the hit of the meal -- fresh, tasty, nice.

From what I can tell, this is probably the best place to stay in the area (though I've not tried any others). I'm glad I chose it. Unless the room temperature worries you, go for it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed at Lodge at Whitefish Lake for 3 nights the first week of December. We arrived by Amtrak at 7:30am in the morning. This is a very quiet week (right before ski season opens) and no one was at the lodge. The complimentary van picked us up from the station promptly and we were at the lodge within about 10 minutes. With the lodge so empty, we were given our room right away! WOW! We were in our room at 8:15am and went back to bed as the train gave us no sleep the night before.
Awoke and had complimentary shuttle to town; mosied around the very small town with quaint shops and ate at 2nd street Pizza. (Fantastic food!). Went back and enjoyed the hot tub on the lake.
Day 2; went to town again; finished up in town. (only 1 street of things to look at). Back to the lodge for a spa massage and more hot tub. Bar in eve was great country music.
Food was great; ended up eating at the lodge on night 2 just to enjoy our stay.
Day 3: rented a car; front desk took care of it all, had car delivered; we just signed off and off we went.

Great stay in a gorgeous lodge. Lodge is small but since there were few visitors, we felt like we had the place to ourselves.
Would definitely return!

Room Tip: stay in the main lodge; worth the little extra. Our room was a double queen; HUGE. loved it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've stayed on Big Mtn @ Kandahar and it has nothing over The Lodge. In fact, because it is on the N side of town it is closer to everything except the Chair Lifts. I stayed in the lodge and the room was large, comfortable with granite counters, rock tile/carpetted floors and beautiful hardwood accents. The kitchen area had everything, the bathroom had a jetted tub in addition to an oversized shower with 2 sinks. The fireplace was set up with 2 nice padded chairs and a table right in front - very welcoming. The outside deck was large, covered and had scenic views. Staff were helpful & friendly w/o being annoying.

The restaurant/bar was very nice - maybe a bit overpriced, but I didn't mind as the quality of food and drink was excellent.

I definitely commend The Lodge to you ... I'll be back!

Room Tip: Check out the adjoining Viking Lodge rooms if you want to save a little $
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were at the Lodge at Whitefish lake the tail end of October. We had a fabulous time. The room was spacious, comfortable and had an amazing view. The food was great. The weather was a little chilly and we had some rain. I really like that type of weather and it made the hot tub that much more enjoyable! We drove over to Glacier to try and find wildlife only to find deer right by the lodge swimming pool when we returned. The staff was friendly, helpful and accomodating. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Lodge room overlooking the lake is the best. King room on top floor has a private balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Came in May for 10 days before the seasonal rush and had an awesome experience.

Contacted the Concierge before the trip to have camera gear mailed ahead to the hotel to make sure I would not suffer pilferage by the airlines. This was no problem and I was told that it was a common occurrence and was told how to address the boxes I was mailing ahead. On the day of my arrival I expected to have to ask for my packages and a typical search to start. I found, much to my delight, they were already in my room!

the preserve behind the viking lodge turned out to be a great way to spend my time while I was waiting for my wife to get ready in the mornings. Many birds, including a rare Wilson's Snipe, came in the mornings to feed. The lake also made a great place to take early morning photos with many ducks and other local species being present and very photogenic.

While their are some great breakfast places right down the street the breakfast served by the lodge in their coffee shop is first rate. Great service and hot food in a buffet style so you can eat quick if you want to start your day. If not grab a plate, load it up, and head out onto the deck to drink coffee and watch the sun light up the lake.

The bar has a nice selection at night and they do get in live entertainment. The bartenders are friendly and knowledgeable of local wineries, breweries,, and distillers.

Our room was immaculate and attentive room service kept it clean every day. A simple note asking for more coffee or towels when you leave for the day will get the job done. Over the course of our ten day stay the room did not get run down looking as often is the case when you stay in a room for long periods. The sliding shutters on the pass through to the bathroom were a hoot, allowing one to soak in the tub yet still see outside by mirror reflection.

Parking is plentiful, lodge is very well maintained. If you are like me, and pick your place to stay based on the experience of staying there just as much as the area the this place is for you. I would dare to say they have managed to recreate the experience one used to get from the rich and famous destination hotels inside glacier from the 1920's in a modern look and feel.

Something I feel worth mentioning based on other reviews. This lodge exists in a part of the world were personal space is regarded very very highly. You will never get a hard sell on anything in the flathead valley Service at this hotel reflects this. If you need something, ask, and they will jump right on it with efficiency Otherwise they are going to stay out of your way to let you enjoy the quite and peace.

Room Tip: If traveling from an eastern state be aware that this lodge is farther away than you realize. "...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lodge at Whitefish Lake? Share your experiences!