“Good food - very casual” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked BBQ, Catfish, Shrimp and Awesome Loaded Smoked Potatoes.Voted #1 in Whitefish for dinner on a budget! Our customers also voted us #1 in the Flathead Valley for BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken. We are also now serving Catfish,a South Louisiana favorite I guarantee.....
Savannah area, GA
“Good food - very casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I ate here with my son after hiking in Glacier. We were not out of place in our hiking boots and clothes. I had a combo plate with beef brisket and pulled pork and he had the fried chicken. The fried chicken he let me taste was as good as any I have ever had. Much more like what I grew up eating at home than what you find at the usual fried chicken chain. What a surprise. My beef brisket was very good. The pulled pork was my least favorite, but it was not bad. The portions were just so large that I didn't feel the need to finish the pulled pork. The sides were particulary good for a barbeque joint. I loved the smoked potato salad and fried Okra. Often, fried Okra is cold, greasy or hard, and this was perfect. If I went back, I would definitely order the fried chicken.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

whitefish
“Shak-aholic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have weakeness that I call "the shak", I eat here about three times a week. It's fast and the price is great. More than enough food! Not to mention the staff is great, owner Chris is alway there ready to greet everyone who walks in. And is sure to check on you to make sure your food is how you expect it to be. His pulled pork sandwich is fabulous! Have recently broadened my horizons; loving the bbq-ranch salad. A wonderful salad topped with pulled pork. :)

• Visited August 2011
Calgary, Canada
“Tasty and delish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I decided to head down to Missoula for a long weekend road trip. On our way down through Whitefish we spotted The Shak. Instead of turning around, since it was on the opposite side of the road from us, we agreed that we would stop there for lunch on our way back. Fast forward to the on-the-way home trip. By the time we reached Whitefish, we were famished. Couldn't really remember where The Shak was. The hubby was wavering on whether or not we should stop or if we should just get tacos. Tacos? Really. Any other day, sure. But today I was going to make sure we stopped at The Shak. We finally found it and both of us were so glad we stopped. It was mid-afternoon so not busy at all, although about 10 people came in after us. Chris, the owner, was super friendly as he greeted us and took our order. Food was ready in about 3 mins from ordering. Had the pulled pork sandwich with side of fries, mac and cheese and coleslaw. The pulled pork was so tender and flavourful (most important part). One of the best pulled pork sandwiches I've had. Fries were just the right crisp and mac and cheese was yummy. The coleslaw was just okay as it was a combination of vinegarette and creamy and I like mine either one or the other. Nonetheless, with the New Orleans creole atmosphere, our dining experience at The Shak was fantastic. A definite recommend!

• Visited August 2011
Los Angeles
“Hit this spot after Glacier!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Delicious southern cuisine in whitefish? Who knew? Had the crayfish ettouffe and hushpuppies. Kids had fried chicken and fried corn on the cob. Friend had fried gizzards. And yummy ice cream top it all off. Could easily eat here another week to make my way through the menu. Solid, flavorful, downright delicious food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“"Are you sure?"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My wife and I were in Whitefish for part of our honeymoon and decided we’d like to try something casual.  The reviews on The Shak looked good so we came by for dinner.  I was perplexed when I ordered the full rack of ribs and Christopher, the owner of The Shak, looked at me, then at my belly and then asked “Are you sure?”.  Now, I may be Canadian but this was not my first time around  a rack of ribs so I replied “Absolutely!”.   Christopher smiled and said “I’ll come by later and check on you…”.    I fully appreciated his comment when my order came and it was the hugest mountain of Louisiana-style BBQ ribs I have ever seen.  Ribs were very good and the baked beans were to die for.  Great place for some southern BBQ.  Oh, and by the way, I finished the ribs!  Just…

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere