“Not like BBQ from the South” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Whitefish, Montana
“Not like BBQ from the South”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We are originally from GA and have been living in Whitefish for 3 + years, sometimes Piggy Back can be pretty good, but there sauces seriously need help, they are just way too runny! I think it would help them out a lot if they took a trip to GA just to see how BBQ should really be. If you are not from the south nor have ever been than you have nothing to compare Piggy Back to therefore you would probably think there BBQ was pretty good. Recently we have had to stop going there because we both have gotten sick two times now. But we enjoy the atmosphere a lot, just wish the girls behind the counter were a little more friendly, talkative and informative is all (When watching and you all are very busy there will be a customer waiting and the young ladies will be running back and forth behind the counter but not saying anything to the customer, like be with you in one moment). Overall Piggyback could be rated above average for Montana.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“A little out of the way, but worth the extra few minutes in the car”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I love BBQ. We had a little trouble finding the place as it's not in the main little downtown area. Once we found it, it seemed a little odd. The building appears to be someone's house, and there were no cars in the lot when we got there. Luckily there was a neon "Open" sign so we went in. The menu wasn't huge, and the decor a little odd for a BBQ joint. The tables had only two bottle of BBQ sauce on them, a NC and a SC--no tomato based stuff, which worried me a little, as that's what I like best. When our food came, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed by the looks of it. We got a beef brisket sandwich, a pulled pork sandwich, mac and cheese, and their house made "chips." Boy, can looks be deceiving! The food was amazing! I still can't decide if I like the beef or pork better--they were both so good! The mac and cheese was pretty good, and the home made chips were thinly sliced potatoes that they fry up in the back and dump some seasoning on--so good! This was really good BBQ. In fact, my husband ate their food again at their food stand at the Whitefish Farmers Market, and gave it another two thumbs up. If you're in the mood for some tasty 'que, go to Piggyback! Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Whitefish
“Outdoor seating, live music, great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Wow! I can't say enough great things about Piggyback BBQ. I have eaten here many times and heard there are new owners. The menu is great! My family loves the choices and the way the staff works with you when your not sure what to order. The pulled pork is so great and the smoked turkey is so tender and moist! The beer is wonderful and when there is music, it is great! My husband loves checking out the smoke ring on his brisket (says it's just like the south).
The restaurant is always clean and the staff so nice and friendly. A friend of mine used them to cater her wedding and it was fabulous! Highly recommend this restaurant to any barbeque lover and anyone looking for a nice relaxing place to enjoy an afternoon with good beer and great friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Idaho
“BBQ the Way It Should Be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We lived in Texas for several years and have enjoyed our fair share of sumptuous BBQ. Piggyback did not disappoint. We devoured the lean and flavorful pulled pork and smoked chicken as well as the baked beans, coleslaw, and mac cheese. Everything was tasty and the portions were generous, especially the glass of wine. We would highly recommend this restaurant to any of our friends. Additionally, the service is pleasant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great beer (when they have it) still doesn't disguise the worst food in the USA”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

How do you read others reviews and rate anything as bad as this place? The good thing is we'll be laughing about this experience 10 years from now.

The food is below disgusting. "Blackened" means burnt to a cinder. The portions are a joke. The children's menu is not even remotely appropriate for kids. As for what constitutes a BBQ, I come from a country where BBQ-ING is an art form and way of life. I will never know what a hush puppy is, because after paying for it, I never got it and had to DEMAND to get a refund back! Children under 12 eat for free - this is a service that you will NOT be told about or advised about or provided for, unless s you psychically know it before the fact!. If you purchase your food and pay for your kids, then read the coupon in the flyer while sitting at the table eating, they will NOT honor it or rectify it - that is you loss for not knowing about it and they tell you that!

Cleaning the tables after anyone eats at them is not their job and only something they do under protest. the staff serving the table can't speak english (fill in the blanks yourself). After assuring you they won't run out of the beer that you came there for, after one glass - guess what - none left except the stuff you can buy anywhere.

Sitting outside is ok as long as you get a metal table and not one of the wooden picnic tables so rickety they are ready to collapse if your kid puts his pop down too hard on it.

In a nitshell this is a good place to on a budget, as long as you spend it on beer and not the food, you will do just fine - one won't upset your stomach, and the other they run out of so no danger overspending.

They don't have to worry about us returning so they won't get another review from us, and we will ensure that we pass on our experiences to other unsuspecting future victims.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere