“Not a bad choice for West Yellowstone” 3 of 5 stars

15% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Canyon, AZ
“Not a bad choice for West Yellowstone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

For an October, 2012 stay I tried to book this property through the Internet on a discount site (kayak.com), but needed 2 beds and kayak wouldn't guarantee that (with 2 people, they would only guarantee one bed), so opted to call the property directly to secure the 2 bed requirement I needed. With kayak, the rate would have been $72.00 for a standard one bed, and calling the front desk I secured a 2 bed deluxe room for $15.00 more. It was definitely worth the extra cost to get both beds, as it included a refrigerator and microwave, a large desk for computer and writing needs and more than enough square footage for 2 adults. We adored the welcome we received as we pulled into the parking lot, as the wolves nearby were serenading the half moon above and spent several minutes listening to their songs before we became chilled and ventured into the lobby. We did hear some noise from neighboring rooms but it wasn't disruptive or annoying, and that seems to be a fairly standard predicament with most lodging. Breakfast was filling and saved the cost of dining out (the previous day we spent $25.00 + tip on the morning meal), so it was a particularly good benefit for choosing Gray Wolf. They have a computer in the breakfast room which allowed me to print out my boarding pass for my evening flight later that day, and although they have an indoor pool we had no time to enjoy it. I would definitely stay here again as I didn't come across any shortcomings during my brief, one night stay but certainly coming in the off-season made it a reasonably priced choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at Gray Wolf a few times while visiting Yellowstone Park. It's resonably clean (excpet for a little mold in the corners of the bathtub) and comfortable. There can be some noise from guests in other rooms. The free breakfast consisted mostly of breads. No eggs or meat. Not good for a gluten-free diet so I had to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Prescott WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had our reservations for 2 months (2 rooms for 3 nights) and when we arrived they did not have the requested rooms. They had no explanation just that they had been already been rented out. Since we paid for 2 nights in advance that didn't cut it for me. Also, the king bed we did get was higher at the foot and lower at the head of the bed so it felt like you were sleeping on a tilt board. The "breakfast" was cold hard boiled eggs, dry cereal and toast. For $190 per night you would think it could have been better. Never again. Save your sanity and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get another place to stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Let me start by actually talking about the West Yellowstone "town" as background: it's full of 1 star (or less) motels, some very cheap looking. By comparison, Gray Wolf Inn (G.W.I.) has to be one of the top 5 in town in terms of appearance and decor (I know, I ran around town 3 times).

Having said that, you'll pay $$'s for that experience. The G.W.I. is a decent, average hotel. Overall it is clean and relatively modern. It offers a reasonable pool and hot-tub. Breakfast is free and covers cereals, bagels, pancakes, boiled eggs, pastries, fruit juice, banana's/apples. The rooms are average and offer 2 beds (new mattresses they said....and I'd believe them), 2 chairs, a table, a fridge, microwave, old-style CRT TV. The aircon is an older style unit - we had it on full the whole day and that's with an outside air temp of low 70's.

Location wise, G.W.I. is on the quieter side of town, just 2 blocks from the main part. You can easily walk around town and there's no real noise or nightlife to suggest town in noisy.

Which brings me to the downside: noise. We overhead more than one guest complaining about noise to the front desk. Our parents stayed with us in the room and they also kept getting woken by neighbors or noise outside. Personally, my wife and I learned long ago to travel with ear-plugs and we had no issues other than on the last morning, when the wolves from the Bear & Wolf sanctuary across the street began howling briefly!

Also note that the hotel caters to large bus parties at times. This can make getting a seat at breakfast a bit of a challenge some days.

All in all, the G.W.I. is an average to good hotel. In the area it is in it would probably be considered very good, but you'll pay for that privilege.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor and probably better facing south.
Creve Coeur, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Arrived with two other couples . None of them spoke English, so I checked all and I got three rooms and gave them their keys. A few minutes later, I wanted to call their room from mine, and the front desk told me they could NOT give me their room number, less I went to the front desk and identified myself. This was told to me by the clerk that had checked us in five minutes earlier! ! Strange ! The room was just mediocre, as one could expect from a one star motel. The breakfast room was very small, as it was the offering of items. Very crowded. No fruit except a few small old apples that no one had picked for weeks, obviously.

Room Tip: no recommendation
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have stayed at this property for 9 years in a row now, the first several years it was privately owned. Now DNC has taken over and is refurbishing and refreshing this hotel, and we are so thrilled! Large rooms, great staff. We stay in a suite with a full kitchen, it is great value for the money (everything is expensive here, it IS a tourist area) and don't have to dine out every night. Loren and her staff are helpful, welcoming and very friendly, they never act like they are too busy to help you.We highly recommend this hotel, and an added bonus is the underground parking garage. Be prepared, though, the wolves at the Discovery Center across the street may wake you with their early morning howling...what could be more exciting than that ? Literally just seconds away from the west gate of Yellowstone, this hotel is our absolute favorite, we stay once a year, and feel like we are greeted as old friends when we arrive. Totally satisfied,every time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was an average stay for a hotel in this area. There was nothing that really stood out about the place that would make me want to go back there or not. The breakfast was very plain and very crowded most of the time and the selections were limited. The staff did keep it well stocked though, so nothing ran out for anyone. The pool and spa area was constantly being worked on and the spa did not even work when I had a chance to go use it. The internet connection was very spotty and very rarely worked, if at all, which was nice, as it prevented me from doing work since I was on vacation. The room (double queen) was typical. The microwave and TV were definitely dated, (turn knobs on the microwave, really?) but the mini fridge was clean and usable. There were a lot of tour buses coming in and out for the days that we were there. There was no fitness center. It was off of the main streets, so noise was not a problem, but you could walk to the local diners or gift shops if you wanted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Gray Wolf Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!