“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 36 hotels in West Yellowstone
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Wow, we loved this hotel. We had the king suite, which was very spacious. The breakfast was awesome, although the breakfast room was very crowded. We loved the convenience of everything-walking distance to restaurants, entrance to Yellowstone and attractions. I would rate this a five star except for the breakfast area and we were awakened early by the guests next door(thin walls).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rock Springs, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The room was good size, the bathroom was huge, The bed was comfy, and the entire place was clean. The toilet in our room liked to run and it took 3 times of me telling the front desk for them to do anything about it but I guess it is their water bill and not mine. The breakfast was ok, the flood of foreign tourists made it unpleasant. The location is great and is right off the main street.

• Stayed August 2012
Dubuque, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012. It was mom and dad (40s), MIL (70s), and two boys (7 & 12). I know that this property seems to get pretty good reviews for a budget hotel in West Yellowstone, but I just could not get over some issues that really made me uncomfortable here.

First for the good: The room was clean and seemed well maintained. There was plenty of room for moving around, and we were able to fit a roll away without much trouble. The beds were comfy enough with good clean sheets and pillows. The staff was really friendly. The room was a good rate for this area and it was easy to get to everything in town from here. There is a laundry building on site, but also see below on this. Has a spa with two hot tubs, so I am guessing this is good since I did not hear anyone complaining about it, but we did not get a chance to check it out.

The bad: Laundry machines broke down and people not coming back for laundry equals long wait to get clothes done. Parking was horrible. People were having to park off by the parking area for RV customers as the lot was just to crammed full. We had to squeeze into a tiny spot and hope no one dinged our doors.

The ugly: Right as we were going into our room, I see these big, waterbug/beetle/roach-looking things flying all around the whole area and on the door and window frames, cars, just everywhere. See the pictures. They really really grossed me out. We were in the back of the property, near the laundry building, so maybe that warmth from there attracted them or maybe they are just a bug that is common to this area, but I got the creeps every time I was outside the door. We were doing laundry one night (see above), and the light from the laundry room was attracting these bugs into the building. My husband must of killed 20 or more that flew in at us. One landed on me and freaked me out, so I was buggy feeling the rest of the time there. Finally, we just shut the door and watched for people wanting to come in. There were no bugs that we could see inside the hotel room, but it made me nervous as there were so many of them outside. We washed our clothes and put them directly back in the truck, rather than taking the chance of having one of the nasty things catch a ride with us. Another bug issue was at breakfast the first morning we were here (we stayed two nights). Everything looked fine with the breakfast (typical hotel breakfast with what I thought were some good hot choices), until I went to pick up a fork out of the silverware tray. There was a little worm thing crawling around in there. Also, the bottom of the tray was filthy. It literally looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. That was it. I was not hungry anymore, so I skipped breakfast. We went to McDonald's the next day.

Bottom line, the parking and laundry room issues were irritations for us, but the bug issue was too much for me to enjoy anything else with this hotel. If you can live with the bugs outside the room, skip the breakfast until they clean up their silverware area, and just stay in the room for the little time you will probably spend in it anyway, go ahead and try this place. I myself could not go back, though, and would not recommend it to anyone I know. If this is a bug issue throughout the town, I would not be able to stay any where here. (BTW: We did not see them anywhere else in town, but were usually here at dusk and night, which is when they were really noticeable.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BrandinIronInn, Owner at Brandin' Iron Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi Shawn. Thank you for leaving a review for the Brandin’ Iron. We have addressed your concerns about the property, thank you for bringing them to our attention. Regarding the beetles that you encountered, they are called a Brown Prionid. They are indigenous to the area, and feed on dead pine trees. They are an important member of our ecosystem, as they help the dead fallen trees deteriorate faster, and return valuable nutrients back to the soil. Every day we have someone collect the beetles, and return them to the forest. They are attracted to exterior lights on the building, so it’s inevitable that some find their way back to the property each day. I hope these unique critters didn’t distract from your overall enjoyment of Yellowstone. Thanks for staying at the Brandin’ Iron Inn.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here and it was very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is in a great location and you can walk to several restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were large and nice. They have a nice breakfast with lots of choices and a good size room to sit in. It is very easy to get the Yellowstone from here.. Will stay again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Brandin' Iron in West Yellowstone. Location was great for touring Yellowstone and the town. Staff was very friendly. Used the laundry facility and they have 6 washers and 6 dryers so you don't have to wait to do all of your laundry. Breakfast was good, standard but they have cheese omlets which was a little different. Room was good, standard room but clean. Much cheaper than some hotels in the area and if you are touring Yellowstone, you are not in the room much anyway. No pool but an indoor hot tub.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff is amazing and Jermey was extremely accommodating. He made everything great. It's in a great location, just two blocks from the Yellowstone national park entrance and in the center of town. Breakfast is served every morning. I would recommend this to anyone going to Yellowstone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I deal with a lot of business travel and it's not often I am "wowed" by staff and ownership in dealing with unusual circumstances and requests. Requests that put the customer experience at the forefront! I couldn't have been treated better or had a more lasting impression from the folks at Brandin' Iron....Thank You!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Brandin' Iron Inn? Share your experiences!