“Nice and basic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westwood Motel

Westwood Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Westwood Motel
238 Madison Avenue, West Yellowstone, MT 59758   |
Ranked #30 of 36 hotels in West Yellowstone
Bothell, WA
“Nice and basic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed a couple of nights while visiting Yellowstone National Park in a roomy two-queen bed room with full kitchen. I had originally booked for a two queen bed room ($90) and called back to ask for a kitchen suite ($150). The kitchen suite (Room 1) turned out to be a room of its own with a single bed and a door connected it to the two queen bed room (Room 2).

As others have said, the room was spacious and clean. There was a TV with cable. There was no Internet access and I didn't bother checking with the owner to confirm.

Speaking of the owner, I can see why someone complained about the manner of the owner. If you're expecting the all-smiles warm friendly type staff, then this isn't the place for you. He is a little gruff and all business, but so what? This is a no-frills motel, but that was OK by me. When I called back a few days after making my reseveration, he was easy to work with. "I already made a reservation but want to change it. Do you have a room with a kitchen?" He said "Yes." I said, "What is the rate?" He said, "$150." I said, "Great, please change my reservation to the room with the kitchen." Very to-the-point no-frills conversation :).

The one thing I want to note... if you are tall (6' 5" or taller), then you may want to consider going somewhere else. The ceiling is very low. I am 6' 1" and I could touch the ceiling without fully extending my arm.

While I was pleased with the stay, next time, I would consider looking elsewhere for a place with Internet access. Other than for that, I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
MESQUITE, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

We have been staying at the Westwood Motel since it was built in the mid 1900's. It is rustic but well kept and several of the housekeeping cabins have been recently remodeled. It has changed owners several times over the years. The present owner is meticulous with his housekeeping and the surrounding grounds. You won't find cleaner accommodations anywhere. We take our whole family on a 4 night stay every year which means renting 5 cabins and they all love staying there. It's an easy walk of two blocks to the main part of town which is very convenient. The owner is very friendly and takes great pride in keeping every thing clean and inviting.' There is also an open area where a boat or ATV can be parked.
W. R. Hinds, Mesquite, NV

• Liked — The Cleanliness and Comfort
  • Disliked — No AC
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
L.A. Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

We booked a family suite on the phone about a month before our stay and weren't even given a confirmation number, so we were a little nervous when we arrived. But when we arrived, the owner, who is very soft spoken, gave us the key to our room and there were no problems.

The suite was spacious and had a separate living room and bedroom (2 rooms is really convenient for a family of 5), along with a full kitchen. Amenities included one TV with cable in the bedroom, a fairly large fridge and ample kitchenware. There was no breakfast provided so we ate cereal and bagels we had brought from home. There is no AC either which made it quite hot at times, especially in August.

I don't think wi-fi is promised but we asked about it and he said they had it. After numerous attempts to get it to work, we gave up. Finally on the last day of our stay it worked, but was really slow. Bottom line - don't count on going on the internet or you may be disappointed.

For some reason there is no NBC channel on the TV, even though every other channel is there. This was a little annoying because we were hoping to watch the Olympics in the evening. The owner didn't know why either when we asked him.

In all, the minor disturbances did not detract too much from the stay, which was quite pleasant. And the location makes up for it, as it is literally a 1 minute drive to the entrance of Yellowstone.

• Liked — location and the 2 rooms
  • Disliked — no AC, no wifi
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
san diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

This property is dated and highly basic (no ac, wi fi, breakfast, etc.) The rooms were generally okay (tv was really old). The main reason I would look elsewhere though was the owner was so unfriendly. He was hard to work with to make a reservation. He immediately told me (in an accusing tone) that he would charge an extra $100 fee if there was any cooking in the room. I don't know why he would think we would do this, maybe the fact I am Asian?

I assume he must be the owner because no one would hire this person by choice.

If I could do it over again, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2008
Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

I stay at the Westwood every year with family and we wouldn't change it for anything. It is always quite and clean the rooms are just simple but all you need to do is sleep and shower and they do just fine. It is close to everything and is great for families. They have picnic tables and BBQ's to use and extra parking for ATV's and Trailers. Just a great place to relax and have fun.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

On a recent trip to Yellowstone I joined my parents who visit the area annually and have stayed at the Westwood Motel many of those years. I found the motel to be very quaint and comfortable. The nightly rates were very affordable but check around for prices to get the very best rate. The owner of the property is onsite and helpful. The rooms are well kept and are being updated with modern bathroom fixtures and newer furnishings. We stayed in a two room unit with a small kitchen, one bathroom and 3 queen size beds plus a small sofa. It was fairly cold outside but the rooms were very comfortable with have electric baseboard heat that keeps them warm without drying you out. I did not notice any air conditioning units but there were windows in each room. The location was convenient but a good walk from the main town strip. Overall I was quite pleased and look forward to coming back to spend more time in the area.

• Liked — Comfortable and reasonably priced
  • Disliked — Long walk to downtown area
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Westwood Motel? Share your experiences!