“Worst place I've ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Historic Madison Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
The Historic Madison Hotel
139 Yellowstone Avenue, Box 1370, West Yellowstone, MT 59758   |
Ranked #26 of 36 hotels in West Yellowstone
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worst place I've ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

After reading reviews, I booked a room at the Historic Madison Hotel for July14th. Our Room (108) should not have been rented. There were many other rooms vacant that were recently remodeled and much nicer. Our room was a dump at best. The air conditioner was so noisy, it was difficult to sleep. The TV didn't work until 10:00 P.M. To use the bathroom mirror, you had to sit on or stand on the toilet. The bath towels were as thin as a dish towel. Compimentary coffee was promised in the lobby--it never happened. The room was a firetrap if the door was blocked--no other way out. The room was overpricd at $145 per night. I wish I had slept in my car.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Jawbone Flats, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

My sister, brother-in-law, and I stayed in the block of rooms behind the main building when we got rained out of our camp. Sure, they're old school, but the room was clean and warm when we got back from our days at the park. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

This hotel is actualy a mixture of a hotel and a hostel. There's a common room with big TV and there are af few dorm beds. There isn't a kitchen but there is a common fridge. The rooms are small and basic, but overall okay.

It's a querky place, partly because it's part of a souvenir-shop and partly because there's a lot of timbre works. Showers etc. are okay, downstairs much better than upstairs.

It's a nice place to meet some fellowtravelers tot Yellowstone NP and it's conveniently locaties downton West Yellowstone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights during our road trip to Yellowstone. Very convenient for Yellowstone. We loved the place as soon as we saw it. It was not 5 star luxury, but it was the cheapest place around. The staff were very friendly and down to earth. The main building was charming and we stayed in the Motel part. It was clean and functional. There was a great gift shop ajoining the hotel and it was all quite charming. The town itself was fantastic. Wooden buildings all around, even the police station, all well kept and clean.
There were a number of good restaurants very close by and my vegetarian wife was able to eat well in all of the ones we used. (I had steak again!!)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Despite our best efforts, we did not stay at this hotel as the reception had no record of our confirmed reservation when we arrived. It appeared there had been a mix up with another guest of the same surname - it happens, i know. However, although generally friendly, the staff offered no apology, and simply invited us to pay a higher price for the one available room they had left. Surely it would be usual to offer the room at the same price we had booked? We were instead shunted to an alternative hotel on the outskirts of the town. A very unappealing introduction to this business!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I loved staying at your motel. It was convenient for daily trips into Yellowstone National Park. Your front desk staff was pleasant, friendly and helpful. The room and bed were comfy and clean. The shower and bathrooms were spotless. I especially enjoyed the decor in my room and your lobby. This is trully a vintage hotel, a refreshing change from motels today. My only recommendation would be to be able to open the window in my room to get fresh air, since the air conditioner worked poorly. Besides, I prefer fresh air.
I will recommend your hostel/hotel to others. Thank you for having a few "hostel" beds (shared rooms with 3 beds each) to accomodate single travellers on a tight budget. I wish that more motels would do that. It allows me the ability to travel without camping by sharing a room with other single travellers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for a week in the dorm style rooms (sink in the room, shared bathroom). Good value hotel and would stay there again, internet was reasonable and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Historic Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!