“A great Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Shadows Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Pine Shadows Motel
You added Pine Shadows Motel to your Saves list
229 North Hayden Street, West Yellowstone, MT 59758   |
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Salt Lake City
“A great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here, our first time, just about 3 weeks ago and we loved it. We stayed in the motel part, a very nice room, spotless and they took good care of us. The room was always clean, and even though it is out of town, we had no trouble getting to where we wanted to be. The owner and his wife were very nice, and we lost something as we were packing to leave, and he immediately called and sent it to us. We would and probably will stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't believe I would pay attention to the negative reviews. Some people are never satisfied.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chad R, Owner at Pine Shadows Motel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Mallory and I would like to say thank you for staying with us. We know that there are many options and places to stay here in West. Each guest is very important to our small business. I thank you so much for the kind words. We hope to see you again. And glad we could get your stuff back to you. Thanks again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Saratoga Springs, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We recently stayed in one of their condos and we couldn't believe how unclean it was. It looked like they just wiped the counters and that's it. The floors were sticky and dirty so I didn't want my one year old crawling around. We had to go ask for a mop and clean it ourselves. The beds were comfy but the pillows were awful plus it looked like they didn't wash the bedding because there was hair in it and on the blankets. It's too bad because it was roomy and could be nice it just needs better cleaning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chad R, Owner at Pine Shadows Motel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I am so sorry for your experience. Mallory and i take pride in trying to provide the clean place for people to stay. I am sorry that you found the condo less then satisfactory. We had had people helping us clean, as of tomorrow they will not longer be with us as this is the second review from our customers like this. Mallory and I will go back to cleaning ourselves to make sure that each of our guest can be assured that we have made sure that things are to our standards and hopefully yours. I wish to personally say i am sorry on behalf of my family. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance. Thanks Chad
Hampton nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked this motel based on reviews for 4 nights to take 2 tours of Yellowstone. Agree with the last 2 reviews of the motel. Yes sterile and clean room. Glad to see owners will be putting much needed coffee pots. The price was one of the best for the area. Liked walking to town which was 1/2 mile and the area was quite. Little things could use attention. Hall carpet had stains, curtains in room had been taken out of bag and not pressed, table in room but only one chair to eat at(did get a folding chair not in best of shape) and outside picnic tables were not clean with bird droppings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

As I was sitting down to review this motel, I read through another recent review title "Clean but sterile...", and feel like they nailed it pretty well, so rather than rewrite his review, I'll just add a few thoughts of my own.
The owners are a very friendly, helpful young family, and the motel is clean and well maintained, but when I stepped into the hallway I felt like I was going to the dentists office, it just had a very sterile, commercial feel to it.
There is coffee available in the office, but it doesn't open until 8am, so if you want to get up and going early you will need to make a run through the McDonalds drive-thru to get your fix. Coffee makers in the rooms and ice machines would be very useful additions to this property.
Finally, we hung up most of our towels to reuse, but tossed a couple in the tub to get them changed. When we came back at the end of the day we found them laying in the tub where we left them, and the beds only haphazardly made. The owners were apologetic and things were much better the second night, but their cleaning staff seems a bit lazy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chad R, Owner at Pine Shadows Motel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for the review. We are as of today getting our coffee pots in and putting them in the rooms. We do have an ice maker in our office for our guest. As the building is new we know we have to get pictures, etc in. And we are working on doing just that. As for our cleaning girls missing the stayover, I am so sorry. The one thing Mallory and I work hard on is keeping things clean. I hope that all is well and thank you again. Chad
seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed one night in the motel rooms at the Pine Shadows Motel. The Motel is a few blocks off the main area of town which might be good if you want really quiet, but bad if you want to be able to walk to restaurants or anything. We were in what appears to be a very new structure. It looks brand new and smells like it was painted and carpeted yesterday. I don't know if it was, but when you open the main door, the smell was a bit overwhelming.

This is a tough review to write, because we had such mixed feelings about this place. The manager or owner Chad was very nice and helpful on the phone. The room was a very standard size room with 2 queen beds. We appreciated the microwave and fridge. However, this was the most stark and sterile room I've ever stayed in - ever! There was not a single picture or any artwork or anything on the walls or anywhere. Just absolutely plain white walls and the most plain room I've ever seen.

There was no coffee maker, no ice bucket, no hair dryer, no iron, no extra pillows or blankets....nothing. It was as if your aunt had a spare bedroom with just beds - or maybe like a hospital room. It was incredibly clean, which is a huge bonus, so that makes our review mixed. We loved the cleanliness, but there was nothing else to love. A little personality would go a LONG way in this place. A lot of artwork in hotels is tacky and out of date, but even that would add something at least. And really, no hair dryer or coffee maker?

I have read about the condos also affiliated with this Motel and they sound (and by the photo's look) a lot better. If you can get one of the those, they are probably good.

So - again a mixed review for the motel rooms. I would not return unless there was nothing else available. The area is filled with so much nature and personality - this didn't quite fit in and at over $130 a night, you can do better.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the condo's if you are going to stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks you for the review. I am glad you found your room clean, it is something that Mallory and I try very hard to make sure happens. I wanted to let you know that we take each review very personal as this is our home and business and wish to do everything possible to make sure our guests, become family and returns. I also wanted to let you know that as of today we have received our coffee makers and are putting them in each room. Hair dryers are also coming. We are also looking at different pictures to order to put in the rooms. Thanks you very much for staying with us and hope to see you again some time. Chad
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We rented the big condo (condo 118) that sleeps 10. It was a huge 2 bedroom. There were 3 beds in one of the rooms and 2 queen beds in the other.

Here are the pros:
1) The condo was clean and very spacious.
2) The bed was comfy.
3) There is a full size refrigerator in the kitchenette and the kitchen was well stocked with plates and cutlery.
4) 2 good sized bathrooms

A few cons would be:

1) The pillows were not comfortable at all. They were too fluffy high and we ended up not using the pillows. We had a neckache the first night of trying to get comfortable sleeping with the pillows.
2) Condo 118 parking is on streetside, not in the parking lot of the condo unit.
3) The laundry room closes at 9 pm. In my opinion, a little too early for families to be able to use
the laundry room coming back from a tour at Yellowstone.

Overall, a great place to stay. Would recommend to families planning a stay at West Yellowstone.

minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Once again we ventured west and had a wonderful time...we booked at Pine Shadows and again we have no complaints. When we arrived on Friday our room was ready and spotless. They (Chad and Mallory) have rebuilt the motel part of their business and it is awesome. The room was very clean and smelled great..that is one thing I really look for, no smelly rooms or halls. The owners are so friendly and Love their little kids. It is nice to see a family owned business these days, makes the stay feel more enjoyable. They helped us plan some of our adventures as they know the area very well...thanks to them. Enjoyed the music festival that was going on down the road..thanks to chad for bringing it to our attention. We will be back either in the fall or next summer and will stay at pine shadows when we return. Would have like to share photos but can't get them to upload...

Room Tip: motel for smaller groups, the condos are so nice if you have four or more...lots of room and a great...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pine Shadows Motel? Share your experiences!