“Clean, comfortable room just down the road from town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Shadows Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Pine Shadows Motel
You added Pine Shadows Motel to your Saves list
229 North Hayden Street, West Yellowstone, MT 59758   |
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Clean, comfortable room just down the road from town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights for a trip to Yellowstone NP. The room was very clean and had a fridge, microwave, and desk that I could put my computer. The bed was clean and comfortable, although there was no alarm clock... Bathroom was clean as well... a bit small but nothing too bad... the area was very quiet and I felt secure there. Internet worked fine. It was about a 3 or 4 minute drive into town where the restaurants and shops were... not too bad, but do not expect to walk to these places from the motel. Town is on the way to the park, so you can grab coffee in the morning or bring back dinner with little effort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Napa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

First the positives... I got a very decent rate on the room for the area. Well at least I think I did since they don't post the rates on their website. I had to call for a rate. There was a decent size refrigerator and microwave in the room. There was free wifi. That worked fine.
The people were very nice and helpful. There was a laundry room and bbq grills out front. It's close to the west entrance of YNP but so are all the other hotels and motels. From what I can see it did appear clean. I felt comfortable and safe that the owners did live on the premises. It was a very, very basic room that is fine if you just need a place to sleep and will not spend much time in the room.

For the Negatives..... Perhaps the condo's are much nicer but the motel portion needs a lot of work! I booked a queen bed type room since I was traveling solo. The room was spacious enough for one person but it can definitely use a lot of updating. First off since I was spending more then one night here I wanted to unpack a little. Of course I had clothing that needed some ironing. The irons and ironing boards were in the guest laundry building across the parking lot. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to iron there or take the iron and board to my room. The ironing boards were locked open so I couldn't collapse it. I ended up just carrying it to my room open and then returning everything when I was done.

The bathroom was extremely tiny. It looks they they put in a new shower but it was too big for the size of the bathroom. Getting in and out was difficult. You could not leave the bathroom door open and open the shower door at the same time. The lighting was awful in the bathroom. In addition, they didn't have an electrical outlet in the bathroom to use a blow dryer. In fact, the outlets were very few. There was one for the microwave and refrigerator. Another by the door which the floor lamp was plugged into. I used the second outlet for my camera battery charger which I had to switch out with my cell phone charger. Then there was one near the desk which the television and desk lamp was plugged into. Finally one somewhere behind the bed but the lamp above the bed was plugged into that. I couldn't move the bed so I couldn't get to the second one. To blow dry my hair I used the outlet by the door where I was about 10 feet from the mirror above the desk. Getting up as early as I did even opening the curtains wouldn't bring in enough light to see so I had to leave the lamps plugged in.

The bed was comfortable enough except that the lamp above it was right there. It also made me nervous that the pillows were right on the electric cord for that lamp when sleeping. I had visions of the lamp falling on my head while asleep.

They are located "away" from the main portion of the town and you could walk to the main streets but it would be more then a few blocks. It was just easier to drive.

Overall the room could use a good update! There was one picture on the wall. The bathroom was so tiny I didn't have anywhere to put my toiletry bag. One thing that somewhat "turned me off" was that the gal at the reception desk made a comment that if I didn't want maid service to put the "do not disturb" sign on the door. It was as if she was hinting for me to do it. I was also concerned about the gutter right above my room where my rental car was parked. There was a lot of water draining from it in that one spot and this wasn't even at the end of the building. I didn't know how much water was up there but I had visions of it breaking away from the building and smashing into the rental car. That would have been an interesting story for the rental car company.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again. I normally like to support independent hotels/motels because of the personal touch but this one really could use an update. Like the saying goes... you get what you pay for. Perhaps if they gutted the place and started fresh. It felt old and was dingy. As frugal as I am, I would spend a few more dollars and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for whatever discount you can get....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We were very happy with our choice to stay at Pine Shadows. We booked 2 condos to accommodate all of our kids and grandkids. There was plenty of room for all. The only thing we didn't like was that there were no dressers to use to unpack our clothes, which we wanted to do as we stayed there for several days. Other than that, had a great time and the owners were great to work with as we had to change our reservation dates a few times before we could get everyone's schedules coordinated.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Our 4th visit to Yellowstone from the UK and our 2nd stay at Pine Shadows. We opted for the condos again and they were fantastic. Well equipped-kitchen, good sized bedrooms and very clean. The perfect location just 5 mins from the West Entrance and 2 mins from town. The owners were very friendly and the other condos were populated by families also.

A nice, quiet and friendly place. Will definitely be back for the 3rd time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

What a find! Right on the river with two newly built decks to relax and unwind after a long ride through Yellowstone. Owners could not be nicer nor more helpful. One member of our group had a problem with a floorboard when the rubber broke. The owner brought out some of his tools and helped with the repair. The pride of ownership is evident in this property from the beautiful flowers planted by each unit to the clean and remodeled, but basic, rooms.

• Stayed August 2010
Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

West Yellowstone can obvioulsy be busy during the summer. Pine Shadows Motel is a nice alternative if you want to get away from that at night. It is in the quieter part of town if you want to get away from the main tourist section. The town is small enough you can walk just about anywhere, even from Pine Shadows. We stayed in the older part of the motel which is the only part that would allow the dog. You get your basic amenities. TV (reception sketchy at times), microwave, fridge, A/C. Only thing missing was the phone. Thunderstorm wiped out the lines a few days before and they were just getting the phones back about the time we left which was a little over a week. Chad and Mallory were nice enough to let us use their cell phone when needed, which turned out to be more than expected. Chad also recommended other services in town which was very helpful. The motel rooms are not the Ritz, but a nice alternative for your stay at Yellowstone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Northern Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

From reading past reviews did not know what to expect. We stayed in room 101, which contains three double beds and one twin size, which was just right for my family (6 total). The motel is old, but everything was very clean. When walking in you can see two double beds, small refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was small, door sticks a little, the shower stall sits so close to the toliet that the lid on the tank does not fit correctly. The vent did not work, and they have a softsoap dispenser on the wall of the shower, and one by the sink. The other two beds are in the side room, with one dresser and closet without doors. The owners are very nice and do live right there attached the cabins across from the parking lot. The WIFI signal was not bad. Just a couple of things that we noticed was that there was instructions for the phone, but no phone in the room. There also was no alarm clock, and with the TV we could only get a blue screen. Since we spent most of our time in the park, (the real reason for this trip) I did not complain to the owners. If you are just looking for a place to sleep that is reasonable and clean this motel would fit that bill.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Pine Shadows Motel? Share your experiences!