“Amazing place to stay but ask to be put near the toilets!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yellowstone Under Canvas

You added Yellowstone Under Canvas to your Saves list
Yellowstone Under Canvas
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   890 Buttermilk Creek Rd., West Yellowstone, MT 59758   |
London
“Amazing place to stay but ask to be put near the toilets!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

At £150 a night it wasn't cheap but what a great experience without having to lug a tent with you on holiday! The double bed was really comfortable and the room felt very luxurious and spacious. Now for the downside; we were a 2 minute walk from the 6 toilets that served over 50 tents with up to 4 people in each. It doesn't sound far but in pitch blackness on uneven ground it is! They need another block of toilets at the other end of the bank of tents to make the walk shorter and the queues smaller.

• Stayed July 2013
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you so much for visiting with us, it is always great to hear how our guests viewed their experience. And to get constructive feedback for our continued success. In response to your suggestions for the bathrooms, we have added three additional tipi restrooms and included a shower in one. We do value your suggestion and look forward to having you visit again so we can show our improvement. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been travelling round the world with my husband for the last 4 months and this was by far and away the best place we stayed on our whole trip. We stayed in a deluxe tent which was superb and the experience of having a bath in our tent was fantastic! They are also in a great location by the river so we got to see beavers and moose right almost from our bed - unbelieveable! The location of the site is great for getting into Yellowstone park and there's a great restaurant right next door to the site. We absolutely loved our stay here and hope to return again and again!

Room Tip: We loved having a bathroom in our tent so we went for the deluxe tent option. We stayed in the tent...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We are so pleased to hear comments from our past guests. We are so happy that you especially enjoyed the deluxe safari tent. To have someone who has travelled so many miles say we are the best so far makes the staff at YUC extremely happy and motivates us to keep getting better. Thank you so much for your kind words and for staying with us.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We, a group of 6 friends rented a tent here and thoroughly enjoyed evey minute of being in the arms of nature under the stars.. The tents are great, the bathrooms are clean and the location is excellent. Highly recommended and worth the price

• Stayed July 2013
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My personal favorite view here is the night sky. It is amazing to see the Milky Way stretch from one horizon clear across the sky to the other. Glad to hear you enjoyed that as well.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family of 5 stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every second of it! We took a week long trip from Salt lake city to Jackson Hole to Yellowstone and my three kids all agreed that Yellowstone Under Canvas was their favorite part. The staff was wonderful! We loved Bob who helped us get our stove going. The bathrooms were very clean and well attended. We enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate from the reception tent while we sat next to the river in the morning.

I was concerned when we arrived on a cold and rainy evening that this was going to be a bust, but once the wood burning stove got cooking - we were so warm that we didn't even need to use the numerous thick blankets provided. We stayed in a safari tent with a king sized bed and then had 2 cots for our two older kids. The cots had mattresses and double thick sleeping bags - more than enough to stay warm. The tent was cleaned and beds made the next day, also our wood and fire starting supplies were refreshed while we were out exploring.

The second night we enjoyed the campfire, meeting and sharing stories from people from all over the world! There was a number or kids running around the open field playing tag and just being kids. It was wonderful. I did not want to leave. I hope they open up more campsites all over the country so we can go Glamping again.

The only complaint I have is of the restaurant, but I am not going to let it marr they review of Yellowstone Under Canvas. We went for dinner the first night and got the feeling that they didn't want our business. Yes, I have 3 kids, but they know how to behave. The place was almost empty but the hostess (older woman with short dark hair - drove a red jeep- i'll get to that in a sec) took over 5 minutes to greet us. She attended to a few other tables before coming to the hostess stand. She asked how many in our party and then had to leave to find us a table. After a few more minutes, she did not return ( the place is just not that big!) so we left.

The next day we were leaving down the long, rutted & bumpy dirt road and we were approached from the opposite direction from a red jeep waving us down. It was the same rude lady from the restaurant. She told us we needed to slow down on "my road." We were going the posted speed limit of 15mph and I don't think we could go much faster as the road conditions were not very good and you had to constantly watch out for cows crossing the road. Actually, she appeared to be going a good bit faster than we were.

So in conclusion, I loved the tents and service at Yellowstone Under Canvas, but I would recommend avoiding the Bar N Ranch for dinner. Watch out for cows and the crazy woman driving the red Jeep. It was a great experience and one that my family will not forget.

Room Tip: If you stay near the reception tent you are closer to the bathrooms. The rooms with a view were a b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
It is always great to read a survey that lets people know all the little things the staff here does to make you comfortable in all conditions. We spend much of every cool/cold evening building fires in woodstoves and I think we enjoy it as much as you all do. The housekeepers work especially hard to make suure the beds are clean, comfortable and ready to warm our guests every night. Like you I personally enjoy our evening community fire. (I only wish I could spend more time there.) The stories shared of Yellowstone and the four corners of the world are so entertaining. Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your story.
Renton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were in a Safari tent the latter part of June. I was apprehensive because I am not a camper. I thought the wood stove might not be warm enough with the nighttime temps in the lower 30's - HA! If you want to - you can make yourself sweat!

Both the bed and the cots for our two kids were comfy and WARM! The dresser was very handy too.

We got a kick out of the cows that were in and around the road and took it all in as part of the experience. After all, here in the Seattle area you just don't have cows! The kids thought the calves kicking up their heels were especially cute. I did, accidentally, find out that taking their pictures with flash at night caused them to move out of the road rather quickly.

Due to personal tastes I would like a private bathroom Teepee next time. What can I say, I'm a city girl that would have dragged my espresso machine with me if I could have!

We had fun!

Room Tip: If you are citified like me, you might want to get your own teepee bathroom and not have to share...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BobandJoAnn, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I laughed as I read this. It is good to know that a "citified" girl can laugh and enjoy the challlenges we face here sharing space with a working ranch. Next visit please feel free to contact me personally to arrange the tent with the private bath. (We actally have suites with shower and claw footed tubs!) Take care.
Macomb, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

A great place for campers to stay while in the Yellowstone area. It's a quick, 7(ish)-mile jaunt to the West entrance of the park. I say that it's great for campers is because it *is* camping. You're in a tent, somewhat exposed to elements, and using primitive restroom facilities. If you're not up for this kind of stay, then I wouldn't book this venue. That said, my husband and I had an outstanding time. Staff was absolutely fantastic; enthusiastic about being there & knowledgeable about the area. I felt well taken care of. The tent of course, is not your usual camping tent; it's a much thicker, vinyl-like material. Ours was a safari tent with a tarp floor and king sized bed. The bed and linens were comfortable & cozy and were made up fresh each day of our stay. Community bathrooms are similar to camper/RV bathrooms- waited in line a couple of times; not often. Each is a private stall with toilet, sink, and shower. No problems having hot water when needed, wood burning stove is a must for chilly nights.
We noticed guests who were very ill-prepared for the weather conditions in this area of the country, and complained to staff because they didn't book a room with a wood burner. It's certainly not the staff's fault that guests aren't researching their stay before arriving. Do your part as a guest and research the weather so you can pack accordingly and make your own stay comfortable. This IS camping. I think the website really romanticizes the spa-like feel of this accommodation and as much as I enjoyed it, it is simply not a spa, but a gorgeous, unique campground escape. IMO, (as a web developer and visual literacy specialist) the website is likely to attract guests not normally inclined to camp, who are likely to thus provide poor reviews. Be sure this suits your interests before booking and you won't be disappointed. :) My husband and I had a superb time!

Room Tip: Research weather before booking- Our stay in mid/late June had nights below freezing. Be prepared!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BobandJoAnn, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Yellowstone Under Canvas. It is valuable evaluations like yours that help us improve upon what we do. I especially liked your comments directed towards the traveller who has not camped before. I am sure that your input will be of assistance to our future glampers.
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just got back today from our trip to Yellowstone and our "glamping" trip. I had no expectations but overall, was pleasantly surprised. Very clean tents with cleaning service provided daily and the bed we had in the safari tent was unbelievably comfy. Beautiful scenery and excellent proximity to West Yellowstone and the National Park. The wood stove was great since we had some chilly nights and the kids loved it. Very friendly and helpful staff who happily shared the must-see areas of the Park (Thanks for the tip on the swimming hole-wow! A geyser heated stream!!).
Okay so it is camping.....maybe a little high $$ but we didn't have to haul a bunch of camping junk from Minnesota; a plus since two teenage daughters packed our van with other essentials. But a few suggestions: Enforce a quiet time when the generator turns off at 11pm- tents are fairly close to each other and noise, laughter, yelling, is annoying (in a variety of worldwide languages) just like any other campground. They should consider adding additional bathroom facilities (we really liked the trailer thing with the 6 shower stalls) but people should not have to stand in line to use the biffy...I'm sure some savvy architect could tell you how many bathrooms should be provided for # of visitors staying at a facility. Finally, the restaurant was not the best value and we ended up having most meals in West Yellowstone. We would definitely stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas again.

Room Tip: We would pick the safari tent again since it has wood stove- tipis do not
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BobandJoAnn, General Manager at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We try very hard to help our guests find the out of the way places in the heart of YNP. It makes the staff very happy when we hear that we pointed you in the right direction. In our free time the staff at YUC explores the park depths to find the best places for our guests. So glad wecold help you all.Take care.

Been to Yellowstone Under Canvas? Share your experiences!