“Great alternative to competitors” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sherlock Motel, Inc.

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shelby
Sherlock Motel, Inc.
You added Sherlock Motel, Inc. to your Saves list
133 5th Ave S, Shelby, MT 59474   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Shelby
Somerset, New Jersey
“Great alternative to competitors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Cheaper and better alternative to the more popular O'Haire Motel, and you don't have a steep walk uphill from the RR station. Also easy walk to Albertson's and the rest of downtown.

There are about 8 or 10 refurbished rooms with new remote controller for window AC, new window sash. Do not confuse with similar looking building across the street which may have at one time been part of the this motel, but is now abandoned.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I rolled into Shelby on my motorcycle 7 days deep into a road trip that had just finished taking me thru Glacier Natl Park. I met a couple of guys at the local bar who advised me to try n get a place quick because the town was full. I called the Sherlock and talked to a very pleasant woman who gave me excellent directions. I arrived and the same friendly caretaker offered me in. We chatted a bit about where I was headed n the trip I'd been on over a little paperwork. She was so sweet and genuine about getting to know me that it took her no time at all to quickly understand that I would trade a campsite nearby over the nearly $100 for a room an a white hot second. In such good spirit she told me about the campgrounds that I am writing this review from. She selflessly advised a strange traveler and without greed promoted her native town above all else. If her kindness is any indication of the quality in this humble motel, you are in for a real treat. Oh yeah, and did I mention that as I set up my campsite in Shelby's amazing campground this same awesome caretaker drove by and dropped off my drivers license and credit card she had mistakingly left in the photo copier? Well she did. She drove off before I thought to ask her name, but if you need a place to stay in Shelby... Give her a visit:)

• Stayed July 2012
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here one night, and found it to be clean and comfortable. Yes, it is pretty dated, with shag carpet and wood paneling on some walls, but everything worked and it was clean. Some workers began working on the roof about 8:00 am, but we were already up by then and it wasn't an issue. I recognize that maintenance has to be done sometime, and their summer window to get things done is pretty short. My only complaint was that we were instructed to go to the office for ice, but when we got ready to leave the next morning, about 9:00, and wanted to add some ice to our cooler, the office was closed so we weren't able to get any ice.
The host couple are both very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: We had an upstairs room, so we had to carry items up the stairs. When we booked she asked me if we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Sherlock Motel for two nights and found it to be very clean, safe and comfortable. The motel is just a few steps from downtown Shelby and a variety of restaurants and shops. The location is great. Away from the interstate and bordering a quiet residential area. We'd definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Shelby

Room Tip: We were in room 18. Upstairs and somewhat isolated. Peaceful and quiet, though the whole motel see...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Pittstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I recently (within the last year) stayed at the Sherlock Motel for four nights and to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The place has some age on it, but my room was clean and comfortable. The owner is a very nice lady ( I'm sorry I don't remember her name) and she made my stay very pleasant. I was traveling cross-country by motorcycle and she offered some old towels for me to use to clean the bugs off my windshield. Service like that goes a long way in my book. The color TV, air conditioner and Wi-Fi all worked flawlessly. The motel is also in easy walking distance of a couple of really good eating spots on Main Street. I'd stay there again, no problem.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the "retro" rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I'm a frequent business traveler to rural America, and I require four basic things:

1. Safe
2. Clean
3. Everything works
4. Hi-speed internet

The Sherlock Hotel meets all of those criteria, which immediately gives it a 4 star rating. What knocks it up to a five star rating is a) the kitschy atmosphere, complete with shag carpeting, and b) amazing ownership. I just finished a conversation with the owner that may be the highlight of my trip, other than perhaps Glacier NP.

Seriously, this place is awesome, and these people are awesome. If you're visiting the area, you should stay here. You'll be glad you did.

Sonja, I told you I'd mention my name on this review so you'd know it was me. Brian never lies!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
New Orleans, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Sure, this place is "cheap" at seventy bucks a night. But you get what you pay for. The organge shag carpet in our room was so stained and soiled, I was afraid to take my shoes off. The room stank of mildew and cigarettes (even though the owner insisted that all rooms are non-smoking) so we had to open the window (only one of the two windows could crank open), but the trains and railroad yard in town made too much noise all through the night for us to sleep well. The floorboards squeaked with every step. At least the towels and sheets were clean and the TV worked. For Sherlock Motel to be the #1 rated hotel in Shelby, the other establishments must be real skeezeballs.

Room Tip: Call ahead - they're booked full on most weekends.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sherlock Motel, Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sherlock Motel, Inc.

Address: 133 5th Ave S, Shelby, MT 59474
Location: United States > Montana > Shelby
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Shelby
Open seasonally May into October. Older, well-kept facility. Making sure our rooms are clean, cozy, and comfortable is our number one priority. Our customers tell us that our free WIFI is excellent, and they really like the gourmet coffee service in their room. Be in the middle of it all. We boast the closest access with a level walk to downtown dining, shopping, and nightclubs with casinos. We're just a short block to the latte shop and only grocery store. Our facility is situated in a quiet residential setting, but conveniently located between major churches, mortuary, and courthouse. See you soon! ... more   less
Sherlock Motel, Inc. Hotel Shelby

If you own or manage Sherlock Motel, Inc., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.