“We (heart) Chico!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chico Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pray
Chico Hot Springs Resort
You added Chico Hot Springs Resort to your Saves list
163 Chico Road, Pray, MT 59065   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Pray
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“We (heart) Chico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed with my husband's host parents for a night after the Christmas holiday. We arrived just in time to settle into our petite suite, equipped with full bathroom and queen-sized bed, and freshen up for dinner in the dining room. It was my first time staying and eating at the resort so I embraced it with open arms. My dinner was pretty good (should have went with something else, like Montana beef) and the vanilla bean creme brule was fantastic! I forgot my suit for the hot springs soak, so I hung out in the saloon and played some pool for a while. Good local beer selection... Red Lodge Pale Ale is pretty tasty! We hung out by the fire in the lobby before retiring for the night. So calming after a long day and full tummy! Sleepytime was a little rough for the both of us as the bed was lumpy and a bit small. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and filling... great cinnamon almond granola! Overall a great experience!

P.S. Despite some bumps on my first visit to Chico, we've come back here several times and it keeps getting better! They have a wonderful petite filet mignon, soaked in port and topped with gorgonzola on the dinner menu! Could have loaded up so much with those breadsticks! The wine menu is extensive and wonderful! I've gone in for a soak in the thermal pool several times since missing it in 2006. Wonderful, especially after a long day of skiing! But it does get crowded around the holidays. The surface also needs some repair so watch your elbows.

• Liked — Dinner and a soak!
  • Disliked — Rooms a little small
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

We rented "the Caboose" cabin for a weekend get-a-way. The cabin was wonderful; beautifully decorated and very clean. Loved how large the bathroom was with separate shower and bathtub and large vanity area.

We ate in the restaurant. Our server was very friendly and helpful with our questions about the menu. Dinner was delicious!!

The bar was fun and had live music. Service was very good, especially since it was so busy.

The entire staff was friendly and helpful from check-in to check out. We have already booked our next stay there.

• Stayed November 2008
SoCenCo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

We have stayed at Chico many times over the past 20 years, usually in the old hotel building, but we have also stayed in the motel-type rooms and in the cabins. We love Chico -- for the pool, for the great cuisine and for the dog friendliness, but... they keep growing and adding more rooms and doing more big-tent-in-the-front-lawn events, and, well, it just isn't the same cozy place it once was.

This time, we were bringing my 80-year-old mom and our 11-year-old golden retriever. I booked suite 407, which turns out to be a very poorly designed "suite." The bathroom and the front deck of the building (a delightful place for sitting outside) are only accessible from the "front" bedroom. The "back" bedroom must have been designed for locking in small children, because it has only one door (into the front bedroom) and only one window. We checked in around 5pm and found that the keys to the "suite" didn't work and that the "back" bedroom window had no screen.

They eventually solved both problems, but it took 2 trips to the front desk -- not a pleasant experience. Moral to the story -- get clear explanation of the accomodations you are booking!

• Liked — We love Chico, just not this poorly-designed "suite."
  • Disliked — 2nd bedroom has no access to bathroom or to outside world
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

The location and the restaurant are the best things about this resort. It's just 30 miles north of Yellowstone in Paradise Valley (of the Yellowstone River). The rooms with shared bath (very rustic) are a good price but expect noise - from the halls and upstairs (sometimes at all hours of the nite). The hot springs pools are nice (but not luxurious) mostly filled with locals rather than hotel guests - esp. on weekends where the kids way outnumber the adults and tatoos are the watchword (esp. for women). But the pool bar is convenient with dollar beers and $3 micro beers and the atmosphere relaxed. The grounds and horse barns/rides are nice (but can be limited if not many folks sign-up for rides - esp. outside of the main Jun -Aug season). The horse guides are straight-forward and nice enough. The restaurant has trouble meeting their reservation times esp. on weekends which are very busy. Expect a half hour or so wait in the lounge -even with a reservation and service sometimes get stretched a bit thin requiring reminders. The lamb chops, halibut & steaks (beef and bison) are all good (but perhaps priced a bit high - although on par with local restaurant costs).

• Liked — Location north of Yellowstone
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Previous reviews on this site almost scared us away...but we went for it and are SUPER glad that we did. We had nothing but excellent service during our stay. Our cabin (502) was rustic, cozy and very clean. Clean is the important thing for me when traveling. The food at the restaurant was excellent, both dinner and buffet breakfast. Great service from everyone. Chico Hot Springs is a beautiful site and we had a great stay.

• Liked — Quality throughout - excellent service.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
st. louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I needed one night to stay before entering Yellowstone. I found the hotel to be very quaint and nice and just what I expected. The rate for the room I stayed in was good compared to the hotels in Gardiner. I ordered a salad from the grill and it was good. It appeared to be very popular with families and weddings. This place is more like a resort where you can stay all weekend. They had horseback riding, rafting, and a day spa as well as a saloon with entertainment in the evening and a nice restaurant and a brunch on Sunday morning. Though the room I stayed in did not have a bathroom, there was sufficient baths and showers on the floor I was on. I had never been in a hot springs before and that was a new strange experience for me.

Stayed July 2008
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

Although Chico Hot Springs was quiet and serene, I can’t say that it was worth the cost. I visited Chico hot Springs for a family wedding. My parents booked a room for $120 a night in the newly remodeled rooms near the main lodge. We were going to stay, but honestly the previous reviews scared us away. Here is what I can tell you from seeing my parents’ room and others.

The $120 night room was nice. It seemed quiet and had a newer bathroom, but beware, if you have a TV addict, there is no TV except in the saloon. All the staff I encountered were nice, not rude, but not exactly over flowing with anticipating my needs. The food was eatable, but if you want to experience a new place to eat every night, this isn’t the place for you unless you want to drive to Livingston (approx 30min away). There are only a few places to eat and the main dining room is busy and expensive even for this Denver native.

If you are looking to get away from the phone and TV, this is the place to come. We took a horseback ride and it was great!

The hot springs were hot but I was expecting something a little larger in size.

The cabins up on the hill were large and a good size for families and pets, from what I could tell, they came stocked as well (i.e. knives, cooking stuff).

Overall Chico was a great place to visit and it is great for people that want to get away and become one with nature.

Suggestions to Chico owners: create a schedule of events for residents to participate in, i.e karaoke night, volleyball, line dancing lessons, etc.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — little to do, didn't feel like it was a value.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chico Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!