“Location, Horses, Hot Springs & Restaurant” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chico Hot Springs Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pray
Chico Hot Springs Resort
You added Chico Hot Springs Resort to your Saves list
163 Chico Road, Pray, MT 59065   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Pray
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Location, Horses, Hot Springs & Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

The location and the restaurant are the best things about this resort. It's just 30 miles north of Yellowstone in Paradise Valley (of the Yellowstone River). The rooms with shared bath (very rustic) are a good price but expect noise - from the halls and upstairs (sometimes at all hours of the nite). The hot springs pools are nice (but not luxurious) mostly filled with locals rather than hotel guests - esp. on weekends where the kids way outnumber the adults and tatoos are the watchword (esp. for women). But the pool bar is convenient with dollar beers and $3 micro beers and the atmosphere relaxed. The grounds and horse barns/rides are nice (but can be limited if not many folks sign-up for rides - esp. outside of the main Jun -Aug season). The horse guides are straight-forward and nice enough. The restaurant has trouble meeting their reservation times esp. on weekends which are very busy. Expect a half hour or so wait in the lounge -even with a reservation and service sometimes get stretched a bit thin requiring reminders. The lamb chops, halibut & steaks (beef and bison) are all good (but perhaps priced a bit high - although on par with local restaurant costs).

• Liked — Location north of Yellowstone
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Previous reviews on this site almost scared us away...but we went for it and are SUPER glad that we did. We had nothing but excellent service during our stay. Our cabin (502) was rustic, cozy and very clean. Clean is the important thing for me when traveling. The food at the restaurant was excellent, both dinner and buffet breakfast. Great service from everyone. Chico Hot Springs is a beautiful site and we had a great stay.

• Liked — Quality throughout - excellent service.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
st. louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I needed one night to stay before entering Yellowstone. I found the hotel to be very quaint and nice and just what I expected. The rate for the room I stayed in was good compared to the hotels in Gardiner. I ordered a salad from the grill and it was good. It appeared to be very popular with families and weddings. This place is more like a resort where you can stay all weekend. They had horseback riding, rafting, and a day spa as well as a saloon with entertainment in the evening and a nice restaurant and a brunch on Sunday morning. Though the room I stayed in did not have a bathroom, there was sufficient baths and showers on the floor I was on. I had never been in a hot springs before and that was a new strange experience for me.

Stayed July 2008
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

Although Chico Hot Springs was quiet and serene, I can’t say that it was worth the cost. I visited Chico hot Springs for a family wedding. My parents booked a room for $120 a night in the newly remodeled rooms near the main lodge. We were going to stay, but honestly the previous reviews scared us away. Here is what I can tell you from seeing my parents’ room and others.

The $120 night room was nice. It seemed quiet and had a newer bathroom, but beware, if you have a TV addict, there is no TV except in the saloon. All the staff I encountered were nice, not rude, but not exactly over flowing with anticipating my needs. The food was eatable, but if you want to experience a new place to eat every night, this isn’t the place for you unless you want to drive to Livingston (approx 30min away). There are only a few places to eat and the main dining room is busy and expensive even for this Denver native.

If you are looking to get away from the phone and TV, this is the place to come. We took a horseback ride and it was great!

The hot springs were hot but I was expecting something a little larger in size.

The cabins up on the hill were large and a good size for families and pets, from what I could tell, they came stocked as well (i.e. knives, cooking stuff).

Overall Chico was a great place to visit and it is great for people that want to get away and become one with nature.

Suggestions to Chico owners: create a schedule of events for residents to participate in, i.e karaoke night, volleyball, line dancing lessons, etc.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — little to do, didn't feel like it was a value.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We live in Livingston, about 20 miles from Pray and decided to go to Chico for a soak and dinner for my Mother's Day. The soak was fine. However the bathroom needs help; floor is dirty and one of the 2 shower heads is broken (same one was broken a year ago and never fixed) - only a little bit of hot water came through so we ended up taking a cold shower! As for food at the Poolside Grille, it was awful! My husband's 1/2 rack of ribs was tasteless w/ cold baked beans, our kids hamburgers were overcooked and dried out and my mother's day special was mediocre, w/ lumpy rice and green beans that tasted as if they came straight out of a can and a box.

The food used to be better at the grille, but for the last couple years, it has been steadily declining w/ poor quality and service. For us locals, having Chico Hot Springs in our backyard as a place to go is a treat. I just wish some of that 4 star restaurant food quality would infect the Poolside Grille.menu & staff. After all, when the tourists all go home, it's just us locals that support the place!

Stayed May 2008
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

We stayed at Chico for one night in one of the tiny cabins as part of a week-long trip in and around Yellowstone.

Some of the reviews state that Chico is neglected and run-down, and the main hotel does appear quite delapidated; however our cabin was very rustic and cosy. We found a winter getaway deal, which included accommodation, hot springs and dinner in the restaurant - however, we still felt that we had paid too much, considering what we got for our money.

Chico's restaurant has a great reputation and gets booked up very quickly - probably due to the fact that there is very little else in the area. However, we were surprised to get an email 6 weeks before we were due to stay, asking us what time we would like to eat in the restaurant! The food was good, particularly the breakfast - but as with many places in Montana, I found that there was very little choice for vegetarians.

It's a beautiful location set in Paradise Valley, and the hot springs were enjoyable, but you can find better value accommodation near one of the other many hot springs in the area.

• Liked — Lovely views, nice food
  • Disliked — Overpriced
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Sadly I feel Chico is falling apart. They try so hard to be a nice bed and breakfast or a mountain resort. All they really are is a hot pool in the mountains with a bar and some middle class rooms for rent. I suggest you go to chico with the idea that you will be sleeping in cabin in the woods and not to expect true luxury.

My latest experience last week left my Girlfriend and me staring at the ceiling at 3am trying to figure out what to do with drunk people in the hallway screaming yelling after calling the front desk and security nothing had been done. So we packed our bags and walked to the front desk demanding a refund or a new room. The best they could do was move us to another building. No, "SO SORRY" or anything...just here are some keys. The dining room is not "4-star"..unless you are comparing it to Montana Restaurants. I suppose that could be "4-star" in montana.

Just check your expectations at the door when you book your room.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Chico Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!