“poor customer service, stay at the Kaiser Hotel instead” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Broadway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
The Broadway Hotel
You added The Broadway Hotel to your Saves list
103 West Broadway, Philipsburg, MT 59858   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Philipsburg
Spokane Valley, Washington
“poor customer service, stay at the Kaiser Hotel instead”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just returned from a girls weekend in Montana, where we stayed at the Broadway Hotel. We stayed in the small cottage behind the hotel, which we thought was going to be great. It's a really cute cottage, and a great value for what you get (two bedrooms, bathroom, full kitchen). However, if you plan to stay, make sure you ask if your room is pet-friendly. I do not have allergies, so I never think to ask, but two of the women I was with have severe allergies to pet dander. The first night we were there, we spent much of the time outside and in the kitchen area (where there isn't any upholstry or fabric), so it wasn't until the morning and we woke up that the women noticed their runny noses, burning lungs and watery eyes. We went to speak with the hotel owner about the situation, to which she replied that she was sorry but she couldn't do anything about it. She explained that the two ladies would have to stay in another hotel. She did help them find another hotel, which we then had to pay for as well. The remaining friend and I decided to stay at The Broadway, but obviously did not need to stay in the big cottage anymore, and although there was an open room, she did not let us move to it, saying that she would not be able to rent out the cottage for that evening if we moved.

Now, I am a business owner myself, and I realize that you need to have clear policies for people, otherwise you would get taken advantage of. However, situations do arise that are simply unfortunate situations, and result from miscommunication. I realize that we should have asked ahead of time about the pet policy, but as the business owner, you always have the power to help rectify a situation. She could have said "I'm so sorry, I can't refund the larger cottage, but I can help you cover the difference to stay in another room", or "I'm so sorry this happened, and we would love you to come back, so let me refund you this room tonight", or even, "I'm sorry, lets let you switch rooms and we'll split the difference".

If I ran my business in this way, I wouldn't have a business. Word of mouth, in addition to customer service are two of the biggest things we stress to our staff, and we bend over backwards to keep people happy, which in turn, gives us a healthy bottom line.

My two friends ended up staying down the road at the Kaiser Hotel, which was great. If we return to Philipsburg (which was a really fun little town), that is where we will be staying.

Room Tip: Ask about pet policy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
BroadwayHotelMT, Owner at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Erin: I was saddened to read the review of your stay in The Miner's Snug. I thought I had done all I could to help you sort out your problem including a credit to your card for the two girls who didn't stay the second night. I'm sorry for your disappointment with our service.

You all seemed to have such a good time at the Snug even the second night. As I live next door, I could hear your laughter and merriment.

Sue Mays
Owner
Broadway Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

First I want to apologize for getting this review in so late, but life happens. Anyway, my husband and I had no plans and hit the road out west for 4th of July week. We figured we would stay where ever we found room. We went to Montana to mine for sapphires and were not disappointed. We arrived at the Broadway Motel to find the door locked as we did not have reservations. I called the phone number on the door and Sue met us right away to get us all settled in, she took time to show us around the place. There is a full kitchen and if you have any beverages you can place then in the fridge. You are also able to help your self at night to coffee and tea. There is a large sitting area with books, movies and games for your enjoyment. We had to stay in two different rooms which was no fault of our own for not having reservations, but both rooms were great. Sue had a continental breakfast ready each morning and we were also greeted each morning by her wonderful dog Josie who I loved, made me miss my dog who couldn't make the trip with me. Sue is a wonderful host and if I ever find myself in Philipsburg, MT again I will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Terri: It was so nice to meet you and thanks so much for your lovely review. It was our pleasure to have you stay and hope you can come and visit us in the near future. Josie is a doll, and most guests enjoy meeting her because of not having their pets with them. I do take her back to the house if guests are not happy with a dog in the hotel - it does happen, but not often.

I hope your trip back home was enjoyable and safe.

Thanks again and very best wishes to you.

Sue.
Montana City, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Nice quaint hotel in a very touristy town. There is no restaurant in the hotel and the two places we ate in town were not very clean nor was the food very good. As explained in the email response to our reservation, there was no one to greet us when we arrived. If you want to sleep late, this is not the place for you as things start early and the noise travels. The proprietress is British and some may find her dry sense of humor off putting.
Since this is a historic hotel, the floors sag, which would not be a problem if our heads weren't lower than our feet. Bring some blocks to level your bed.

Room Tip: Pick a room as far from the desk and kitchen as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HI: I'm sorry you found our lodging and our town disappointing. We all try our best to make guests and tourists alike feel very welcome.

Broadway Hotel.
Cardston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was born and raisedint Montana and wanted to revisit Philipsburg so we choice the Braodway based on the reviewsk on the Internet. It's a nice place and the decore is nice as well. But if your looking to get to sleep early and wake up laste, forget it. Sound travels in this old hotel probably liked it did in the past. People walking and talking till all hours of the night, and the clang clang of dishes in the morning, started around 6:00am, not to mention the jet engine roar of the in room air conditioner. We never did see the host or someone at the reception desk, we checked in by ourselves and checked out. On the up side if your looking for a trip back in time. And sleep is not part of your requirement, then check in to the Broadway, and you'll have a wonderful stay. Be prepared to shell out some bucks for the experience though, it's very expensive.

Room Tip: Try the kaiser house just up the street instead
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Drew: My apologies for the problems you encountered when you stayed with us at The Broadway Hotel. Unfortunately, old buildings do carry sound, even though we have rugs and carpets throughout the halls and guest lounge. As far as not meeting me or my manager, all I can say is that it was unfortunate our paths didn't cross. I am there at 7:15 am to put out the breakfast, and I don't leave until around 2pm. Sheila arrives in the afternoon and works from the front desk. Maybe it's possible that you arrived later and left before breakfast.

Guests are sent a confirmation with times of check-in and check-out, but often people are not sure when exactly they will be arriving. We are lucky enough in this wonderful town of ours, to still be able to leave keys and welcome letters in envelopes outside on the main entrance. Most people appreciate this and the idea there is a place you can do this.

Again, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but found somewhere that suited you better.

Bartlett, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My Husband and I wanted to drive through Montana some after we left Yellowstone, so we reserved a room here for a night. We were very pleased with the "Las Palomas" Room. It was nice to have a big whirlpool tub after a rough hike up to Lewis & Clark Caverns. The bed was very soft (just the way I like it!). It was nice to be able to stay in a small quiet town when you are from a big city. Sue was very charming and it was nice talking with her. We also enjoyed Josie too(I agree with the other reviews - very sweet dog!) We would not hesitate to stop here again if we ever travel that way again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rebecca: It was very nice to read your review. Thank you for your kind words.
The whirlpool tub is enjoyed by many and I'm glad you did too. It was lovely to meet you and know that you enjoyed Josie!! Hopefully, we will see you again and catch up on your adventures.

Best Wishes,
Stevensville, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a mother's day week end away with my mom, sister and cousin. We had a wonderful visit at the Broadway. Everything was wonderful. Sue is a very gracious host and we had the pleasure of meeting Josie, and having our picture taken with her!!! What a sweet dog. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast fabulous, and the whole stay was great!! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away and have quiet time or just to relax, we definetely will go back. Dawn

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
BroadwayHotelMT, Manager at The Broadway Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you Dawn for your kind review of the Broadway Hotel. We are so glad you had such a great Mother's Day weekend here with us. We love when our guests feel comfortable and at home when they stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in Philipsburg and Josie sends her best wishes.

Sheila Butts
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Really got lucky. I was on a fishing trip to Montana with 3 buddies and we needed a hotel in Philipsburg. Cheked Tripadvisor and read the reviews for the Broadway Hotel. Called and made a reservation. Great little town and hotel. Because it was early May tourist season was not in swing yet so we had the hotel and town to ourselves. Sue, the owner, took great care of us and fed us a great breakfast of muffins, fruit, toast, english muffins (of course since Sue is a native of England!) to get our day started off on the right foot. I stayed in room #6 with twin beds and private bath. Very comfortable and clean. If you get the chance to visit Philipsburg stop and stay at the Broadway...you wont be dissappointed!

Room Tip: Some in our party stayed in room #1. It would be great room for a couple. Overlooks main street and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review of The Broadway Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you had a good time fishing and seeing the sights of our great little town. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the area.

Sheila Butts

Been to The Broadway Hotel? Share your experiences!