“Great experience, lovely people” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Mines
Attraction Details
canada
“Great experience, lovely people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I can't wait to go back. My husband and I had our first trip together without the kids after being married for 9 years. We found over 260 carats of stones and one beautiful garnet (my birthstone) that we sent to be faceted. Gary and Anna were very friendly, and knowledgeable. We will be back with the kids :)

Visited May 2012
Anna P, Owner at Opal Mountain Gems, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
We're always so glad to hear positive feedback. Our goal is for you to have a great time on your vacation and we're happy to help make it happen. Would love to see you and the kids on your next visit! Sincerely, Gary and Anna Provost

Salt Lake City
12 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Time Panning for Gems!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The service here is GREAT and panning for gems is so much fun. My husband and I had a great time! The woman and her husband were both so nice and knowledgeable.

Visited April 2012
Bozeman, Montana, United States
“A place for local yokels, not city slickers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We are Montanans and went out to Philipsburg for a couple of days of R&R and skiing at Discovery.

We visited 3 gem stores in town. The first two were full of chinese and indian imports selling for ridiculous prices. Hardly any locally made or sourced stuff. The sales people were snooty and not very friendly.

Then we went to Opal Mountain - a very cool husband & wife shop, full of local/regional stuff (gems, ore, and local arts & crafts) and brimming with character. In the summer they have a sluice box out back where you can hunt for your own gemstones.

If you are looking for a real Montana/Philipsburg experience, stay at the Broadway Hotel and visit Opal Mountain. We are already planning on going back this summer to visit the ghost town and go rockhounding, and we will definitely stop in this place again.

Visited March 2012
Anna P, Owner at Opal Mountain Gems, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
So glad you enjoyed our shop, you guys will have a blast rock-hounding the area this summer. Look forward to having you back when the running water flume is operating - hopefully end of April, weather permitting. Sincerely, Gary and Anna
Charles Town, West Virginia, United States
“Opal Mt Gems Rocks :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Last week my bf, Jeff Mawyer, gave me some scrap Sapphire gravel he had ordered from Opal Mt. Gems. I took the scrap gravel to my class and set up a Rock Lab for my third graders. My students had to pour their samples into a bowl and look at them . They then described what they saw on their Lab sheets. Then each student pour water into their bowl and look for minerals and rocks. Everything had been calmed until this point !! Then the students starting finding sapphire, tramoline, minerals, a fossil or two and many kinds of rocks!!!! They were so excited :) We look at and shared out samples for over an hour. I will never forget how excited each student was to find interesting rock sample and minerals... Its been a week and omg they still bring in things they found at home when they took their bags of gravel home. All the talk in my class has been rocks and minerals... Not only is Jeff our new class hero So is Opal Mt. Gems. Students have look your company up online and have enjoyed looking at your website :)
After Jeff was talking with Anna, Anna sent us a free class gravel sample from Africa.. well I guess another Friday afternoon will be spent sifting and sorting for rocks and minerals !!! My students will be talking about rocks and minerals for weeks !!! They are so excited.... In Reading we read a story called Rocks in His Head... about a mineralogist.. well I truly can say I and my entire class has Rocks in our Heads these days :)
El Horne
Third Grade Teacher Charles Town WV

Visited March 2012
montana
45 attraction reviews
“Precious stones an understatement.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

What they have made to sell is absolutely beautiful.There are really some deals in there if you take your time and look.The mining from bags that they sell is a great activity for kids and adults alike, but like everything else, who knows if it's a rip or not, we did it just for fun.
If you do go with older kids,let them go do this while you look at all the stunning things in there. The shop is so nice because it's not too small and you don't feel like your going turn and knock things over. Very open and airy. Nice to go in and just spend time looking and you are able to pick up surprisingly affordable things.