“Paradise Lost” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cougar Ranch Bed and Breakfast

Cougar Ranch Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Missoula
Cougar Ranch Bed and Breakfast
P.O. Box 16826, 5232 Musket Lane, Missoula, MT 59807   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Missoula B&B and Inns
Great Falls, MT
“Paradise Lost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

The Cougar Ranch is a beautiful hideaway just north of Missoula, Montana. Tucked into a secluded mountain meadow, it is our favorite rest stop whenever we are in that area. In fact, we have been coming to the Cougar Ranch at least once each year for the past four or five years.
We have always found the accommodations to be comfortable and the owner a gracious host. More than once the owner has joined us for an evening of wine and travelogue. Most enjoyable.
If you are in the area and do not avail yourself to staying at the Cougar Ranch, you will be denying yourself a very special experience.
Sarah

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — Dirt road
  • Tips/Secrets — A beautiful adventure location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

We were prepared to really like this place, and perhaps that's where we went wrong. We had an expectation. I booked two adjoining rooms in the lovely cedar sided home in January for our trip in August. When we arrived after 11 hours of travel, the hostess informed us that she had upgraded us to their cottage so we could have some more privacy. Sounds good so far.

The "cottage" is an old house, partly remodeled. The house is nothing special, it reminded me of "early college" decor. It had none of the charm of the lovely home pictured in the website. She said we could use the washer and dryer though, which after 4 nights camping was welcome. She went on to inform us that she would not be preparing breakfast for us, but had picked up some groceries. We would make our own breakfast instead of the "gourmet french breakfast" we had been promised. So we shifted our expectation.

After returning to the cottage after dinner and finding it 60 degrees inside, I looked for some wood for the woodburner to warm the place up before bed. None to be found. I tried the thermostat but the oil furnace was not working. So I called the hostess and asked if there was some wood, seeing as how the furnace did not work. She huffed that she had guests in there before who did not find it cold, but she would bring over some duvet covers. While it really wasn't my point, I said fine. When she showed up with the covers, she then began to lecture us and offered to give us half of our deposit back to get rid of us. Apparently we did not show enough gratitude with the "upgrade", and were now "complaining that it was cold". She did not need such troublesome guests. She went on to tell us how much money we were costing her, and said that we would probably stay up all night doing laundry, costing her more money. She demanded payment for the balance so she would not have to see us anymore. I paid her to get her on her way. We were so upset we barely slept. To top it off, one of my daughters stepped on a dead wasp, which caused a painful swelling in her foot.

Note that the nice cedar house had only two other guests in it. This was a Saturday night in the peak of tourist season. The place does not even have a sign marking it from the road, so I am not really sure why these folks chose to be in the hospitality business. It really puzzles me.

In summary, we did not get what the website promises in terms of bed or breakfast, and the hostess was rude. We have never, ever encountered anything like it in many years of traveling.

• Liked — Hot tub at the main house
  • Disliked — The hostess
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you get what you booked.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

The lodging was very comfortable and the setting very nice, unfortunately found the owner rather rude.

Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2004

I must say that I was very surprised to see these reviews of Cougar Ranch B & B.
I myself travel extensively and had the pleasure of spending a night at the ranch. I thought it was great and was very satisfied with it.
The area is beautiful and serene, the atmosphere was warm, the manager was courteous and informative about things to see and do in the area and the food was delicious!
I look forward to staying there again when in that area and I recommend it to anyone!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2004

I cannot believe the other two reviews of Cougar Ranch! The host was cordial and very helpful with what to do and see in the Missoula area. The other two reviews were obviously written by persons with an agenda.

Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2004

Ditto the other review - bad - overbearing host and not at all a welcoming environment - don't go there!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2002

The place was horrible!! Don't waste your money by going there!!

Been to Cougar Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!