“HIDDEN COSTS, SAGGY MATTRESS, FILTHY PARKING LOT” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Missoula - University
630 E Broadway, Missoula, MT 59808   |
Ranked #25 of 39 hotels in Missoula
Seaside, Oregon, United States
“HIDDEN COSTS, SAGGY MATTRESS, FILTHY PARKING LOT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE.
We made an online reservation and found out when we arrived, at 1:30 and couldn't check in until 3pm, that our room was on the 2nd floor, and in order to stay on the first floor we would be charged $6.00 more! AND, the manager insisted we had requested a 2nd floor room. Not true. I don't do stairs well after surgeries.
After looking at the 2nd floor balcony, it is obvious our 11 lb Doxy could have fit right under the railing, splat to the parking lot below.
Matters got worse when we prepared to go to bed. Our sheets were obviously full bed size while the beds were queen. the corners wouldn't even fit over the top of the mattress, much less down the sides. We were told the new queen mattresses were too large for the old Q sized sheets. If these lumpy saggy mattresses are new, I'm a dance hall girl. NOT.
ANOTHER FIRST: check out is 10:00 am...
We've been on the road for 6 weeks and have stayed in the Motel 6 chain 90% of that time;. This one is the worst of all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Missoula - University, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Robyn F - We apologize for the unsatisfactory service you received during your recent stay; thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take your feedback very seriously and will take it into account as we work to improve our guests’ experience with us. Please consider contacting our guest relations department to report your experience so we can serve you better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on a two-week motorcycle trip. The pictures of the hotel on their website looked inviting and it looked new and fresh. How deceiving!

The person at the front desk for check-in was crabby and curt. I found out later that she had charged me the current rate on the computer instead of the lower rate that I had booked.

There is no free breakfast at this hotel - coffee and hot water only. (That explains why she told me about good breakfasts "in the area.") The hotel website clearly says "coin laundry" and I booked this hotel specifically for that reason -- I was told that there is no guest laundry and that there never has been. Checkout time is 10:00 am, which is earlier than most hotels.

The room did not look as new and inviting as the pictures on the website. It was also missing items. There was no Kleenex, no shampoo, no alarm clock, no hair dryer, no bath mat, no iron/ironing board (and no breakfast).

When I returned to the front desk, I was told that they don't provide shampoo because people just throw the packets away. They only give them to people who ask for them. I also had to return for a hair dryer, and had to check out an alarm clock (yes, you must check it out and return it in the morning) - there was no phone in the room for a wakeup call.

The room had a very cold and empty feel -- the new décor was cheap, and the floor felt like walking on cardboard. There was no heavy blanket on the bed, so we were cold during the night. One the plus side, the sheets were clean, but the pillows were very thin and too soft and not comfortable.

A sign posted in the room sums it all up: "As an independent Motel 6 Franchise, we are limited as to the amenities we are allowed to place in our rooms." The sign seems to contradict itself -- you are independent, so CAN'T provide things?

If you need a place to stay inside, away from the elements and don't have time to look for a decent place, then this is okay for that. Just don't expect to have anything provided, and expect an "attitude" at the front desk. I will add, though, that the man at checkout was very nice, even though I had to have him adjust my rate since I had been overcharged at checking.

There are many hotels in Missoula, and I would suggest looking at any of them before booking here. There are just so many other choices. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I recently relocated from Memphis, TN, to Seattle, WA, which required us to drive across the country with two dogs and a cat. We planned ahead and made reservations at Motel 6 properties in three different cities. We were leery of using Motel 6, but did so because of the generous pet policy.

We arrived in Missoula at around 8:00 pm after driving twelve hours. Everything was fine at check-in -- they even charged my credit card -- until we told them our pet menagerie included a cat. The desk clerk immediately said, "We don't take cats, I'll have to cancel your reservation."

That was it as far as she was concerned -- it was no longer her problem. She couldn't have been more unsympathetic. We explained that we would only be there overnight, the cat was in a carrier (and sedated), we had driven twelve hours, etc. At our insistence, she called the owner, but said, "There's another check-in with a cat, do we cancel them, too?" She did nothing to advocate for our difficult position.

She identified other hotels that allowed pets and called a few of them (after we asked her to -- again, she did nothing proactive to try to make things better for us), but there was a Jehovah's Witness conference in town and no rooms were available, even in the outlying towns. (In fact, when my husband and I stepped outside to try to come up with a compromise -- he thought about sleeping in the car with the cat -- she gave our room to another couple that had walked in behind us.)

We ended up having to drive another three hours to Spokane.

The other Motel 6 properties that we stayed in -- including Kansas City, Rapid City SD, and Spokane -- were very welcoming of ALL of our pets. Other hoteliers that we talked to in Missoula said that they would happily take our reservation if they weren't full. This terrible service failure wasn't about policies -- it was about people (the owner and desk clerk) who don't need to be in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my first Motel 6 experiences. We arrived a little early on the day of check in and told our room was not ready and to try back at 3pm. We tried again about 3:30 and they had just started the other extended units where we were staying, was told to try back at around 3:50. The room was a king bed with kitchen, had microwave, fridge, sink, stove and lots of cabinet space. The toilet was clogged but we freed it with a plunger from the front desk. I think I would prefer a larger hotel chain than a motel in future. It is in a good location, 4 blocks from downtown and off I-90.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitefish, MT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times before for dog shows and the hotel is listed as pet friendly in the dog show book. This time there was a new manager who turned us away because we had dogs.

HE LIED DIRECTLY TO MY FACE AND SAID IT WAS MOTEL 6 POLICY TO NOT ACCEPT MULTIPLE PETS. I KNEW THIS WAS NOT TRUE BECAUSE I GET PROMOTIONAL EMAILS FROM MOTEL 6 WITH DISCOUNT CODES FOR REGISTRATION THROUGH AKC(AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB). I ASKED HIM TO CALL MOTEL 6 WITH ME. HE GOT VERY RUDE.

This occurred late in the night, luckily there is another Motel 6 in Missoula, which we have stayed at multiple times as well, it is a new property with an interior corridor. We prefer exterior entrances with the dogs, which is why we stay at the university Motel 6--never again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dillon, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I pretty much only stay at this Motel 6 when I go to Missoula. This last weekend was no exception to the great service I've received. I stayed Friday Night (May 3rd, 2013) and checked out that following morning. I believe the person I dealt with was named Joseph? I could be wrong. He was great. I was in town to run the Color Me Rad and my wave time was at 9. With a checkout time of 10 i knew i wouldn't be back to shower in time. I was granted an extension to 11. So happy with that! But when we were leaving the race site i realized i had no time to get to the motel and shower so i called and told Joseph(I am pretty sure that was his name) that i would be checking out remotely because i wasn't going to make it in time and jokingly said Unless you can give me a noon check out! I followed that up with haha Just kidding i don't want to push it. And he said Oh No you are fine! I will extend it until noon! i was thrilled! really needing a shower after this race we headed to the Motel 6. When we got there the maid had already been in.. i was disappointed but understood so i called down to the office again and he explained that he had told them i had an extended check out and to go ahead and use the shower and just to lock the dead bolt and he would let the maids know that we would be in there. I just appreciated that so much. I feel like he totally understand my predicament and came through solidly! Completely impressed with the service!! I will continue to stay at this Motel 6 on broadway. Rooms are always clean, beds are comfy and I've never had a problem with service! For a 'cheaper' motel.. you can't go wrong!!! The location is super convenient too. Not far at all from downtown or an interstate exit. Restaurants all around (a Subway basically IN the parking lot). Great spot, great motel!

Room Tip: They are all equal :) I've stayed on the top and bottom floor of this motel and I'm happy al...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Portland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am so sad to have to take back my recommendation for this motel. This USED to be one of my all time favorites. I've stayed in this Motel 6 several times over the past few years. At first, I was thrilled at the cleanliness, customer service, room design and location. At the Motel 6 price, it couldn't be beat. However, the last two times I've stayed I've found the rooms to be lacking.

They aren't nearly as clean as they used to be, they don't smell as nice and the customer service is lacking. I witnessed poor customer service with the person checking in ahead of me then I had an unfortunate issue with the room that was handled very very poorly. I complained to the manager who instead of listening to my suggestion downplayed the issue that had caused our entire party to loose hours and hours of sleep. Frustrating.

Unfortunately, I'd reserved two nights a this location one day apart. Because we had a very busy schedule I was forced to keep this as our hotel the second night instead of finding somewhere else to stay. When I checked in for the second stay, I made what should have been a relatively simple request, it turned in to a negotiation with me telling the person helping me (the VERY SAME MANAGER) how to handle it. It was very frustrating, I even reminded them that I was the person who'd had the issue the previous morning, they didn't remember me!

I travel through Missoula frequently, I'll stay elsewhere for now. I'll consider trying them again in a year or two IF I see that this downward trend isn't continuing. It's interesting to note that Motel 6 sent me an email asking for feedback on my stay in the other location in Dillon, MT but not this one even though I'd only been in Dillon for one night. (BTW Dillon Motel 6 continues to shine!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 Missoula - University? Share your experiences!