“Great hostel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hutchins Hostel

Hutchins Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Missoula
Hutchins Hostel
You added Hutchins Hostel to your Saves list
508 E. Broadway, Missoula, MT 59802   |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed there last weekend and had an excellent experience. I was a little nervous being a female & by myself, but dave & his sister were really nice & made the whole experience really easy. It was extremely clean and safe. All the main areas in Missoula I wanted to hit up, (ie. shops, restaurants/bars, and breweries) were all within 1mile of the hostel. I would totally recommend this place to my friends and would stay there again if I revisit Missoula in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Ideal location: you can walk to downtown, campus, and hiking trails.
Dave was really nice and gave me tips about Missoula, hiking etc.
I stayed there in January which is a pretty quiet month and got a whole room all to myself!
Loved the log bed frames and the clean, spacious shower.
I've been to many hostels, but this one was definitely the best!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Called the day of my stay and got a room. Check in was hassle free. Above all the hostel was CLEAN. Fresh linens and a towel. Bathrooms cleaned daily. Kitchen and common area were immaculate. Great location-close to the river, university, and downtown Missoula. The price was reasonable for the location and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Separate dorms for guys and girls, but it seemed couples received some leeway.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed in this hostel for one night while passing through town on my way from Alberta to California.
The hostel is in a great location. You can easily walk downtown (although the town is quite small). The area is safe to walk day or night.
The hostel itself is nice, it is kept up in nice condition, had a great washer and dryer for use, as well as a full kitchen available as well.
The hostel was pretty clean, far better than most hostels for sure. The owner was extremely nice and had a very friendly dog.
The beds were decently comfortable, not amazing but pretty good. The bedding was in good condition and clean.
The bathrooms were very clean, I used the shower in the handicap washroom and accidently spilled water everywhere. I did notice that the water was cleaned up quite quickly though.
The hostel provides all bedding as well as a towel which was a huge plus seeing as I had forgot mine.
For $25 you aren't going to find a better deal in Missoula, or probably even Montana.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

(NOTE: I put "terrible" for Pool and Gym because there aren't any... I meant to skip them, my mistake!)

My first time staying in a hostel. I felt very safe and clean - they provide clean linens which was great. Small - 2 separate rooms for guys and girls (flexible with alrger groups, but when traveling on your own it's nice). Each room has 3 wooden bunk beds which made it feel a little like summer camp (in a good way). The ONLY thing was that a random and LOUD fire alarm went off at 4 in the morning, which was disruptive to say the least. We all kind of looked around until it went off and then went back to sleep; I think it was someone cooking or something? (I heard people outside in the hallway trying to turn it off) Nice and cheap, a great place to crash while traveling!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I travelled to this hostel with a group of 12 in August. We reserved a few spots in the hostel for about half our group on the first night, then stayed two more nights with the whole hostel booked to ourselves.

The hostel is clean, cute, and within walking distance to some great spots in Downtown Missoula. From the beginning, Dave the hostel owner, was easy to work with, and helped accommodate our group's special needs.

We had an unfortunate incident the last night of our stay involving a member of our group and a canister of bear pepper spray. The pepper spray was more than an inconvenience for the hostel and subsequent guests. Dave and his staff have been straightforward, fair, and easy to work with while we help resolve the issue.

I would definitely recommend staying here whether it's with a group, or on your own. It was great to have the place to ourselves, but we also met some nice folks on our first night at the hostel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
West Yellowstone, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed a little while ago and when we walked into the office/kitchen we were hit with flies swarming the kitchen area… didn't really make you feel like cooking with flies everywhere. There is little room to sit, you have a kitchen/office with three stools and a couch. The kitchen is the only room in the hostel to sit inside, too. The bathrooms and kitchen were past dirty with a slime layer covering the showers and toilet. Floors had puddles of muddy footprints everywhere. Their are only 12 people in the hostel and you can hear everyone to all hours. One girl staying there, spent the night vomiting due to bear spray on her bed/blankets.

The owner is very friendly but is difficult to find. We left the place at 8:30am and never saw him after we checked in! Don't know how often they change the codes to the doors but someone who had stayed there before, used an old code, walked inside the hostel very early in the morning and woke people up when they run the owner.

This hostel has the potential to be awesome! It has lovely hand-made bunkbeds and a really nice kitchen but feel like it needs someone to run it, rather than own it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
HutchinsHostel, Owner at Hutchins Hostel, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thanks for your feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at the hostel. This is the first poor TA review that we've received in nearly two years of operation, so I wanted to respond to your comments/concerns.

I take great pride in making sure the hostel is clean and comfortable for all guests. The bathrooms are cleaned daily -- no exceptions. The bathroom that you mentioned is our handicap accessible facility. As such, I am prohibited by ADA regulations from putting any sort of blocker between the shower and the tile floor. There are therefore times when the shower water gets over the tile floor. I try to keep an eye on it throughout the day and mop it up when needed.

I'm embarrassed to hear that you encountered flies in the kitchen. This was a one-time occurrence that unfortunately was the result of a guest leaving the front door open for an extended period of time.

I'm also concerned that you found me hard to find, especially since I live on the second floor of the hostel and am constantly downstairs checking guests in, cleaning and doing laundry. My cell phone is listed on the front door as well as in the common area in case I am running an errand.

Again, I apologize for your unsatisfactory stay with us and would be happy to refund your money. Feel free to call or e-mail anytime. Thanks again for your feedback,

-Dave Loos
owner/manager

Been to Hutchins Hostel? Share your experiences!