“Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Missoula
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice people. Good location. We were in town for a swim meet and it was perfect. Breakfast and quiet. We will be coming back. It made out Missoula trip very enjoyable. I will definitely recommend to our friends.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel was nice. It is what you'd expect in a hotel - customer service was nice and check in and out was easy. The shuttle service was on time when we made our reservation to the airport. The rooms were very large. They didn't have central air but the units underneath the window so it didn't seem to stay a consistent temperature. I'm sure in MT the air conditioning probably isn't needed a lot but it was 90+ when we were there (I didn't know MT got that hot!) and one night the room got really hot and we realized the unit wasn't kicking on. We called downstairs and they said to unplug it and try hitting the reset switch. none of that seemed to work but I finally hit the heat button and it kicked on and I immediately switched it to cool and it worked. The rooms were clean and it was nice that there was a kitchenette type area with a fridge, microwave, and sink. It was pretty quiet in the rooms but it could have been that the air conditioning unit helped to drown out some of the noise (not that it was extremely loud but it just added some background noise). The beds were comfy and I slept great. The gym only had 2 treadmills and an elliptical machine. It would have been nice to have some free weights because they had a bench in there but no weights. There was an indoor pool but we didn't check it out but it looked great for families with kids. We were there for a wedding so I think there was a group rate but we only paid $86 a night! If I had paid over $100 for the room I'd probably rate this average but for $86 I gave it a very good!

Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great Hotel all around. The rooms are fantastic, very clean, awesome beds. Our room was spotless. Our nights sleep was priceless, the beds are pillowtop beds. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful to us. They gave us a very good rate and recommended places that were family friendly to eat for the evening. The hotel is a 5 star place BUT you pay a 3 star price. The hotel looks brand new. The rooms themselves are very spacious. I have stayed here multiple times on solo business trips and on summer family trips, all have been super. The kids enjoy the pool, we all enjoy the breakfast buffet. Our trip this summer was Fantastic and we will be back in a couple months! Best hotel in town by far. I have NO idea how anyone can complain about Stonecreek on this site, it is absolutely great.

Room Tip: Book Direct.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife already left her 2 cents, but I decided to contribute as well, to flesh things out a bit. We arrived to SCL at about 2:50pm, after driving from Sheridan, WY. We were told, by an indifferent front desk employee that the room would be ready in about 20 minutes, and we were welcome to wait in the lobby. No big deal, check in was 3pm, so we weren't sweating it at that point. 30 minutes roll by, with no word. Another family was also waiting, and they had arrived before us... their patience (for obvious reasons) ran out prior to ours, so they approached the front desk to check again. They were asked what the name on the reservation was... for me, that's strike one- it was the same employee they had originally checked with (they confirmed this), and they were the only other family in the lobby. So, they had been waiting there for at least 45 minutes by that point, and the front desk folks couldn't even be bothered to remember their name? It's a small thing, granted, but kind of insulting to be left in the lobby (mere feet from the front desk) for close to an hour, only to be greeted with: "who are you again?" It indicates, as I said, indifference. They were finally told their room would be ready in 5 or 10 minutes, and in this case, that was true- they were able to check in soon after, but it was evident they were pretty frustrated.
So, another 10 minutes or so pass, and I decide to check with the front desk folks, as we were clearly past "20 minutes" (it was now past 3:30p). By this time, the original front desk employee had clocked out and bailed, leaving another gentleman up there- when I checked with him, he again asked what name my reservation was under, even though he had been at the front desk the entire time. After checking with housekeeping, he said another 5-10 minutes... I didn't even receive an apology at that time, and though he was relatively friendly, a simple "sorry for the wait" would have gone a long way... A few more minutes elapse, and my wife decides to ask for any clean room (it was a long drive, we were tired and hungry, and we'd be sitting there for almost an hour). She's a former hotel manager, and it's pretty common practice after that much time to simply upgrade the guest to any clean, unsold room; unfortunately, he wasn't "authorized" to do so... we should have left at that point, as every interaction (all of which were initiated by us. Not once were we engaged by the staff as we sat for an hour in the lobby, steps from the front desk) had been met with indifference and lack of concern. We stuck it out though, and when our room was finally ready, we were disappointed to find stained carpets, dust, and hair on the floor of the bathroom. The hallway was also really dirty, apparently having not been vacuumed in quite a while (not to mention numerous carpet stains).
So, all in all, a crummy experience. The especially frustrating part is that it didn't have to be this way. Basic customer service would have gone a long way... both my wife and I have spent years in the Hospitality/Service Industries (from housekeeping to banquets), and there were a few very simple things they could have done:
1. From the beginning, a little more warmth would have been fantastic. Indifferent, sullen employees in positions with a lot of customer interaction is a recipe for disaster.
2. Also, start with more info, and be ready to engage and apologize as necessary. If we had been told from the beginning: "Hi folks- I'm sorry, we have a hotel full of check outs to flip and we're running a little behind. We'd be happy to hold your luggage while you go get something to eat, or perhaps visit the brewery directly across the street. We can call your cell when your room is ready, and we do apologize for the delay", everything would have been fine. Seriously, if they had started with that, we would have probably not even noticed the dirty floors, crummy pillows, and poorly placed TV's. IT'S SO SIMPLE, BUT THEY BLEW IT!
3. Upon checkout, ask us how the stay was. We were disappointed to see that it was the same disinterested employee at the front desk when we checked out, and it seemed obvious that she just wanted to get us on our way. It's elementary to ask every guest how the stay was, but she couldn't be bothered. So, after our card had been charged (and, one positive note, the room was inexpensive), I had to bring up our concerns. I'm a really polite guy (years of service industry help with this, I think), so there was no rudeness or yelling, just a clear expression of our frustration for what we felt was poor service. Again, we were met with an insincere "Sorry about that". That was it... so, it started poorly and ended poorly. Bad first and final impressions...
Finally, I feel I have to mention this: in a prominent display case, they offer gift packs of Rush Limbaugh's "Two if by Tea" Iced Tea. This certainly indicates a strong political bent, and it's one I'm not afraid to say I don't agree with. I recognize that for many of you, this may be a strong motivator to visit this bastion of conservatism, but for the rest of you, the ones not comfortable with Rush's brand of confrontational sexism/racism/homophobia, perhaps this will be reason enough to spend your money elsewhere. As I'm sure Rush would understand, we'll just let the magic of the free market decide the success or failure of this establishment...

Delaware, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last year when it was a Hawthorne Suites. I believe it was brand-new at that time and we had a really good experience, so we decided to stay with what we know. All we needed was a place to crash for the night before our plane left the following morning. We got a king room. It was nice to have a refrigerator and plenty of space to pack up our suitcases for the plane. The hotel is not quite as pristine as when we stayed here last year. There was a stain on the carpet. The cleaning staff also missed an old washcloth in the bathroom and a pint of ice cream in the refrigerator. For the price, and a one-night stay, with close access to the airport, it suited our needs.

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I stop in Missoula about twice a year (once on the way to our destination and once on the way back). We usually stay at the chain hotels since that seems to be all there are to choose from in Missoula so when I found that the StoneCreek Lodge was locally owned I thought it might be a nice change. That ended up being a huge mistake.

We'd booked our room (a basic queen) for one night. Missoula is our halfway point and by the time we make it there we've usually been driving for about 8-9 hours and are ready to settle in and relax. We made sure to time our arrival around check-in time (3:00 - we arrived at 2:55). When we went to check in, there were a girl and guy behind the desk, and we were told by the girl that our room was not quite ready - and that it should be about 20 minutes before it would be good to go. We were mildly put out (we had carried all our luggage in with the idea that we would be heading straight to the room). Things really just started badly from there and never got better - when the lady at the desk informed us that the room was not ready it was without apology or concern. She just said, "Your room's not ready yet - should be about 20 minutes. We'll call you when it's ready" and motioned for us to be seated in the lobby.

We soon found that we were not alone - there was another family also waiting in the lobby for their room to be ready. Apparently they had already been there for 45 minutes waiting.

About 30 minutes after our arrival (now 10 minutes past when our room was supposedly going to be ready) the other family went to the desk to check on their room. From where I was sitting I heard the lady ask, "And what's your name again?" It was crazy - those people had been sitting there for now over an hour waiting for their room to be ready and the front desk person didn't even remember the name or room number they were waiting for? They checked on the room status and hooray! Yes, it was ready! For who knows how long since they didn't even remember what room they had been making those people wait for...

About 3:50 we went back up to the desk to check on our room. Still not ready. I asked the other front desk person if they had any rooms that were clean at that moment at all. He looked it up and said, why yes, there is a king room that's clean and ready to go - and for an extra $40 it could be mine. I suggested that he just switch us to that room and let us pay the queen rate (seeing as we had now been waiting in the lobby for an hour (with no apology whatsoever)). He said he was "not authorized to do that" but that "your room will probably be done really soon now".

We were finally able to check in just a little while later - all told about an hour and 10 minutes after check in time, waiting in the lobby, while the front desk staff tried very hard to ignore us and forget our names (we had to tell them who we were the two times we came up to check on our room)

So - we get to the room - hoping to see an immaculately cleaned oasis (seeing as it took over an hour to clean) and were sorely disappointed to find the carpet stained and fraying, the bed hastily made and the floors obviously not mopped or vacuumed. To top it off, the pillows were terribly uncomfortable and the TV nearly impossible to see from the bed.

The next morning while checking out it was our misfortune to have the same girl who checked us in working the desk again. We waited for her to ask us, "how was your stay?" as we planned to bring up our issues to whomever was working the desk in the morning. That did not happen. So, we had to bring it up ourselves (after she went ahead and charged our card). We let her know that we were really disappointed with how the check in went and that it would have been really helpful to have gotten an apology immediately when the room wasn't ready. And when it became obvious that the room wouldn't be ready for another hour - we should have been offered whatever clean room they had open (without an upcharge) without having to ask. She just stared at us blankly and replied, "sorry 'bout that"...and then silence.

So, long story short...staff totally not capable of handling issues - not authorized or don't care - whatever the reason, I'm left feeling like they are not concerned at all about our business. On top of the bad service - the carpets don't look to have been cleaned in a few years (really bad stains in the hallway). Also - you have to drive if you want to eat - the place is not convenient to anything in Missoula. I would never recommend this place and will not be staying again. Simply terrible experience all around.

Room Tip: Go someplace else is the best advice I can give.
Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice place, very quiet, very large rooms and comfortable beds. All very clean. You can't get any better in the $150 or less price range (and this one actually costs less than $100!). Maybe they shouldn't say their rooms are suites, but they are definitely very spacious rooms.
Nothing to complain about, except that they should serve breakfast until check out (I think it is available only until 9:30), and the "hot" part of that breakfast was really limited in terms of choices and taste.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to StoneCreek Lodge Missoula? Share your experiences!