“Even better than I expected!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Martinsdale
Bonanza Creek Guest Ranch
523 Bonanza Creek Road, Martinsdale, MT 59053   |
Los Angeles
“Even better than I expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

It is rare to visit a place and find that it exceeds your expectations - BCR was one such experience for me. I had a GREAT time. I don't even know where to start with my praise. June (the owner), the wranglers, the cook, the rest of the staff, the ranch dogs, and the horses were all wonderful. The scenery is absolutely stunning. And being so far away from the "real world" with no TV or cell reception was a welcome change. The horses are top notch -- they are well cared for, have plenty of go, and are sure-footed even in the most rugged terrain. I think they make a real effort to to find good rider/horse combos and are happy to switch your horse if the fit isn't right. There are many more horses than guests, so they always have options. The food was delicious and they were very gracious in accommodating my dietary restrictions (I don't eat meat). It was nice sitting down family style for meals and June was with us at almost every meal. She and her husband David are lovely people. It really felt more like you were visiting someone's home than a guest ranch. The rides were great. I am a competitive hunter/jumper rider and was not sure what to expect. I went during the advanced riders week and I was not disappointed! The cattle drives were lots of fun, as was the team penning. I really enjoyed the other guests I met there as well -- they were all very nice. By the way, I went by myself and it is a perfect vacation to do alone, with friends, or with a significant other. Whatever the case may be, you will be made to feel welcome. It was a really special week and I was so very sad to leave. I will definitely be going back! It is very unfortunate that there is one negative review of BCR because it is flat out not true. I read the review before I went and I am SO glad that I disregarded it. The numbers speak for themselves -- when 99% of the reviewers have good things to say and there is just one bad review -- I think it is pretty obvious this is a disgruntled guest who is absolutely the exception.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ostersund, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

The most wonderful time ever, delicious food, great horses, lovely people and of course breathtaking scenary. Restful place to recover from our stress in the city. Wildlife near your lodging. Wonderful for walking, rinding and probably could go fishing nearby. Quite close to nice cities as Helena and Bozeman for shopping - if You'd like to take a day off.

Will be back for sure!!! Returned back home in total peace of mind!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you are looking for: some awesome sceneries, good quality horses, nice and clean lodging, friendly and welcoming staff, excellent food, on a small scale (maximum 8-12 guests per week) your best choice is Bonanza Creek Ranch.
We stayed there beginning of september 2011, we had nice warm wheather (which is not always the case in september). The wranglers Jenn and Cassie were very helpfull and a lot of fun too. June and David, the owners, are warm people with an open mind and an open heart! The first day they picked out a horse for you based on the form you fill out in advance, so be honest in what you write on it, no need to write you're an excellent rider that can handle any horse, when that is not the truth, they have 40 horses to choose from. They have younger, faster, "friskier" horses for those who love that, but they also have older, steadier horses for those who prefer that, so be honest and the horse they pick out for you will be the perfect match. If on the first day you don't feel like it is, you can honestly tell them and they'll give you another horse based on your comments. The rides vary a lot, every day you see another part of the ranch, or even further, into the Crazies for the whole day trip. The staff treats the horses with respect, so they ask you to do the same. I think that is a very fair deal, considering what they give you in return!
If we ever have the opportunity to go back to Montana, it will certainly be to the Bonanza Creek Ranch!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This ranch is absolutely wonderful. The hosts, June and David, are wholesome and accomodating, the chef (Fred) is superb in cooking delicious meals and a mean harmonica player. The wranglers and staff are very friendly. The accomodations were rustically beautiful and the horses more than willing to carry you anywhere you wanted to go. The scenery was breathtaking and clean and crisp. The riding is not for beginners but such a delight for those who ride often and love it. I highly recommend this ranch for anyone who loves to ride and loves the west.

Room Tip: There are separate cabins and all are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

As a single traveller I spent an amazing week in my own cabin surrounded by spectacular scenery and welcoming hosts. June and David who run Bonanza Creek could not have been more accomodating and friendly. The cabin was big and comfortable, and the peace and quiet was great.

There are around 40 horses at the ranch but the choice for me was just the right fit, and whilst the riding style is very different to that in the UK you quickly pick it up with the help of the wranglers advice. The horses are very well trained and responsive, and there is no nose to tail riding. The horseriding was varied each day and you could join in as much or as little as you liked. We did everything from rounding up and moving the cattle, to beautiful rides for breakfast in the forest, to driving the horse and wagon team.

Having read previous good reviews on tripadvisor I was expecting a lot from Bonanza Creek and I was not disappointed, I will definately be returning !!!!!!!

My top tip for anyone who stays here is to bring plenty bug spray and long tops for the mosquitos as they could be a problem in the evenings.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I have travelled the world seeking adventure and unique experiences. I found all of that and more at Bonanza Creek. The experience is a quality one. I felt welcomed, safe and very comfortable from the moment I arrived. June&David and family&staff are "real" and passionate about sharing the ranch experience with every traveller's skill set, expectations and comfort level in mind. I loved the food and looked forward to three hearty meals a day. My horse and I bonded, as did the small group of international traveller's who shared stories&songs around the campfire and eagerly anticipated the next day's activities.
If you don't have fun at Bonanza Creek...I would say that it's maybe you and not the ranch that needs to make an adjustment...lol. Happy Trails!

Room Tip: All Cabins have an
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Saline, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Just got back from ANOTHER trip to Bonanza Creek and it was even better than I remembered it! Everything was lush this year with wild flowers covering the range. We had 5 days of wonderful riding--two included moving cattle. My horse was amazing. Very sensitive and just right for me! The food was great, as was all of the hospitality. Can't recommend this place high enough!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Still looking for a hotel?