“Service and Prime Rib Were Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Bellingham, Washington
“Service and Prime Rib Were Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We first ate at Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan, Montana a number of years ago. Back then, it was excellent, so we couldn't wait to try it again on our 2011 Christmas trip to nearby Bozeman. We searched for reviews and read some good critiques, but some less than auspicious. Several referenced surly service and brown gravy served on top of prime rib. That should have stopped us, but we gave it a try anyway. What a mistake it turned out to be. We were half-heartedly welcomed by a waitress that said the prime rib was the special. Leary of the reported brown gravy, I inquired and was told it was served "au jus." Knowing that au jus means "served in the natural juices that flow from the meat as it cooks", my fear disappeared. I asked the waitress what beers they had on tap and was told "cold." Thinking it was her little joke, I waited in vain for her to list the beers. I guess it is a secret that can only be unraveled by approaching the bar and reading the tap handles. We opted for Mojo potatoes to accompany the prime rib.....When the rib arrived, you guessed it, a lake of ugly brown gravy engulfed the meat. "Disgusting" is the best description I can think of to describe prime rib smothered in greasy, nasty gravy. To top off the lovely culinary experience, the Mojo potatoes tasted like salt encrusted little chunks of desert. I never knew potatoes could be that bad. Awful service and awful food. A slam dunk.....I later met a Bozeman native that told us the food used to be good but had gone significantly downhill. Wish I had inquired locally before we wasted our money.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
WY
“All inclusive - meat lovers paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Remember this is beef country..smallest portion is like 15 oz. Plus, one price includes relish tray & crackers when you are seated. Entre includes soup AND salad, AND meat, AND potato, AND vegetable AND texas toast AND coffee AND dessert (Sunday or Serbet). My small Prime Rib (15 oz!) was not the most tender I've ever had (hence the *4 vs *5) but I think it said 'Grass Fed Beef' on the menu. Jo-jo's and carrot vege are wonderful.

All in for the price you're not gonna miss!!

They bring a to-go bag BEFORE to everyone ... you WILL NEED IT! AND IT IS GOOD FOOD!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montana
“The most amazing finger steaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you're looking for best finger steaks ever definitely visit this place. It's amazing! And if you order small you'll still have plenty of food to take home!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wyoming
“great steaks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Found this steakhouse on Urbanspoon app while traveling through Mt. Totally packed even on a Wednesday night. A short wait since we had no reservations but the steaks were excellant! Soup was also great, salad was just basic but dressings were homemade. Baked potato also just basic. Great value I would say.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Billings, Montana
“Best Steakhouse in MT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

T-Bone steak. Best I have ever had. When you have 21 reviews and 19 are good reviews, 1 in the middle, and 1 was a 1 star. I think we all know how this restaurant is. The 1 star must have been from Manhattan. Not MT, NY. Where they are used to paying $300 for a lobster or something. And yes, Jane Fonda did try to get a table w/out a reservation. She just did not want to sit at the bar and wait like other people w/out reservations have to.

• Visited September 2010