“"No worries Mate"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Libby
San Diego, California, United States
“"No worries Mate"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have to say the staff was great at this small but very clean motel. I checked in late but the owner, a gentleman from down under, was great about it simply stating" no worries Mate enjoy your stay".
The wifi was very strong from one end of the property to the other.
The breakfast could be a little more substantial but for the price I guess it was adequate .
Best thing bout it now that I think about it was there was no banging at the door at or around 11:00am. No rush to move you on..I really liked that!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Shane H, Owner at Sandman Motel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello and welcome to the Sandman Motel’s review page. Firstly, as owners, my wife Yvonne and I (Shane) would like to thank previous and future guests for staying with us. We have owned the Sandman Motel for 15 years. The first 7.5 years we operated it ourselves and made sure all our guests we completely satisfied. Then we hired several different managers for the next 7 years, and learned we needed to come back and run our motel ourselves. We have moved back to our little motel about 6 months ago and things are going great. We take GREAT pride in our hospitality towards our customers, and they ALWAYS come first. Upon our return we have upgraded all our TV’s to FLAT SCREENS. We have put all new handcrafted log beds in all our rooms. We have upgraded our internet speed to be the fastest in town. Yvonne and I know at all times staff, including ourselves, must be kind and helpful to all our customers, our facilities must be sparkling clean at all times, and having great quality beds for a wonderful nights’ sleep. It’s so nice to be back and we pride ourselves in the outstanding reputation we have acquired and we will uphold that reputation to all of our guests. We go out of our way to accommodate everyone’s needs to make sure that they are exceptionally happy and are treated like family. We apologize to any previous complaints in regards to the Sandman Motel. We look forward to the future of accommodating everyone’s needs.

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Missoula, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have not stayed at the Sandman, although I tried to, but based on my experience I will not be staying there in the future.
I recently made a confirmed reservation for a busy weekend (the STOKR bike ride in early May). 6 days after I made my reservation, the manager, Derek left me a voicemail message that my reservation would not be honored because they are fully booked for that weekend.
When I called back and spoke to the manager, I found his attitude unprofessional, particularly since he blamed the mistake on his employee and did not take responsibility himself. His attitude could best be described as "disinterested" which does not bode well for actual hotel guests who might have special needs or complaints.
I would recommend that Libby visitors avoid the Sandman, because there are several other motels in town where I know that the staff are reliable and professional. In particular, I have experience with the Venture Inn and the Huckleberry House bed & breakfast, which were good and excellent respectively. The Sandman is not worth the risk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stopped for a one night lay over on business. Room was dated, but clean. Queen bed was Verrrryyyyy firm! Room was quiet, breakfast was not much but what do you expect for under $50.00. The manager was a very nice young man!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our room was small especially with 2 beds, a hutch with the TV, a small table and 2 chairs and a large swivel chair. Everything was very clean. The WiFI was good. There are few room amenities. The decor is very dated. Apparantly, there is a problem with hot water availability because there are signs warning that it takes 20mins for the water heater to recover after a shower. The only thing that I was not happy with was the breakfast. When I called about reserving a room, I asked about breakfast and was told there were pancakes and waffles, juice etc. which sounded good. The pancakes and waffles were frozen and had to be toasted.
The "juice" was more like Tang. AAA gave this motel two diamonds. I would give it a solid one diamond.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

On a two month road trip, arrived in Libby and decided to call it a day. Drove past this motel, then moved onto look at other places in Libby. The Sandman was the most appealing. The owner was more than willing to show us a room prior to completing the reservation. The owner was a lovely lady who takes pride in her establishment. The room was clean and comfortable. Don't expect the same things you would get in a chain motel, but if cleanliness and no pets are important to you, then this motel will fit your needs. It is a pleasure to support the small establishments that are working so hard to keep America alive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Basic motel room, friendly staff, clean and comfortable. I would recommend this place to anyone, but emphasize the no frills. The breakfast is as plain as it comes, try the Libby Cafe for a good meal.

Room Tip: You can back your car up to your room door in units 11 - 20.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Deer Lodge, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We booked the Sandman motel as the first stop on a motorcycle trip. It was a clean and basic room with a king-sized bed that was quite comfortable. The air conditioning worked well (important to my husband). Breakfast was nothing special, but it did get us started on our way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sandman Motel? Share your experiences!