“Local Contractor Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 22 hotels in Kalispell
Trego, Montana
“Local Contractor Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We've stayed in a $200/nt B&B in Whitefish, $100/nt very nice Grand Hotel & now the $43/nt Blue & White. Ask for a renovated room without carpet...newly done laminated floors & it'll be clean & odorless. Being allergic to odors, I had to put the room deodorizer outside.
We stayed in the bear room & I liked all the teddy bears. Since my home is Zen, it's fun to spend a night with the whimsical
Decor. I understand from my contractor neighbor that the "fish" room is also updated.
Room & bedding were clean. I bring my own soap (motel has tiny bars but they do give plenty) & shower cap.
The people seen are not homeless as one person wrote. They are working people who live out of town & need a closer place to bed down when they are on a job site.
It's good value & we will return since we need a place to stay when we come into town for our monthly shopping trips.
WiFi does not work for Apple computers. We were told they r looking for a new provider.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lethbridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife will still not let me live down the fact I made her stay here. I did not mind it, I admit it's a little wierd to see all this funky stuff in the rooms and it smells funny but it was clean and cheap. My wife is spoiled and has forgotten what it's like to stay at the Bates Motel. I had a comfortable sleep and my wife did not. We were only there for one night and your within staggering distance from Mooses Saloon. I admit it was also wierd to see alot of people living there, but again it was cheap, clean and it worked for the night but somehow I don't think I will be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Coleman, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

MY FRiend and I stayed here last week after it had been recommended as cheap but cheerfull. 1st night the room was disgusting, we did move to a themed room which was Ok but the price was ridiculas $90.00 a night i dont find cheap. the bread for toast was 2 day old reduced bread from a supermarket, toaster didnt work. Only positive if you could call it that was the staff were friendly. Wi didnt work what else can i say we felt ripped off

Room Tip: If you have to go here ask to see room first
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
central Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The Blue and White Motel seems to have chosen themed rooms as its way of standing out. This is commendable--I was in the James Dean room (nobody asked what room I wanted, but ok, sure), and I saw other themes relating to outdoors and bikes on the door decorations. They kinda went overboard with the decor in my room, but everything was generally clean and in good working order.

Right after I checked in, I noticed that the chain lock on the door was broken, so I asked if they could fix it. The guy at the desk said he'd call someone to get it, and they finally installed a new one a couple of hours later.

Breakfast was several shapes of plain glazed donuts and some unsliced bagels; I had to ask for a knife to slice one. It still didn't fit in the toaster. The store brand margarine tub appeared not to have been refrigerated recently when I checked out at 7 am. They would probably be better off telling guests to fend for themselves in the morning and knocking a couple bucks off the rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Once we saw the sand-filled coffee cans by each doorway, we had doubts about getting a non-smoking room. As with any motel, I asked to see the room first to verify with a sniff test. The room was decorated with all sorts of Western paraphernalia. Very cute room, but had the lingering smell of cigarettes. We asked the nice lady at the desk for another NS room and got one decorated by someone obsessed with Labrador dogs. Shower curtains, pictures, figurines, lamp bases—you name it—offset by duck decoys, baskets of cattails, and pictures of hunting scenes (featuring labs, of course).
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, water was hot, but lights were dim and inadequate. Tap water tasted terrible. Probably old pipes. WiFi was free and the TV had lots of dish channels. We arrived at 8 p.m. and weren’t sure what was open in this rather small town. The desk lady referred us to the 24 hour family restaurant within walking distance (Finnegan’s). Food was bland and overpriced. We would have done better driving to the Sizzler and spending the same amount on buffet items.
A very strange “American” breakfast was included—lots of breads, stale donuts, cereals. No thanks. I did take a photo of the huge stuffed grouse in a glass case in the lobby. There is a patio area for guests with a mix of old chairs and grills that haven’t been scrubbed in decades. They boast an indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna booth, but it didn’t seem very clean. Since we didn’t grill or swim, those features are not part of our rating.
Good location for visiting Glacier National Park. The town is about 20 miles from the west entrance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Do not stay at this motel.
My wife and I stayed for one night at the Blue and White and were completely disgusted at how dirty the room was. The worst was that the sheets on the bed had not been changed. We know this because of the large number of "body" hairs on the sheets as well as assorted bits of unknown stuff we did not want to touch. The pillow cases were also covered with hair. Very disgusting. It was late and we were going camping so we just camped in the room with our own sheets and foam mattress but should have checked out.
I can mention other things such as the broken sink, old worn out furniture, strong smell of smoke, etc. However, the dirty bed sheets are enough to never stay at this motel again.
I have stayed at a lot of motels for work and personal trips and this motel is by far the worst motel I have ever stayed at. I wish I could give it a negative rating since one circle seems way too high.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family and I were on our second road trip and have stayed in hundreds of hotels from San Diego California to Tulsa Oklahoma, this by far was the scariest! We booked it online because it was well priced for the season, but it was still fairly expensive. The strange woman at the front desk was nice but I could not understand her speech, and the office smelled like drugs and cigarettes. As we drove to our room the parking lot, which resembled a homeless camp, we could easily see the pool was disgusting the water was brown and the building it was in was about to fall. On the way to our room we could see into many other rooms and they were very gross with paint and wallpaper peeling, horrid carpet, and disgusting motifs. We arrived at our room, and were greeted by the locals who were living there. The room was nasty it smelled so bad I immediately threw up in my mouth and had to leave for a minute to spit and get my bearings. Once rituals were performed I went back in to take a closer look the smell was worse now, the carpet stained and in terrible shape, the bedding was stained, the sheets which should have been white had human body shaped yellow stains with the the worst of it focused in the head and face region. We immediately ran away and never looked back, avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Stop, turnaround, and run!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blue and White Motel? Share your experiences!